Odd SR viewing screen markings?

Brenton Lee

Hello!

I'm trying to bring an old SR2 (supposedly with a professional S16 modification) back to life but I'm stuck on what's going on with the viewing screen here.

It's got an SR3 screen installed with regular 1.37 markings, but it also has two horizontal dark areas on the top and bottom and I'm wondering if any of you more experienced guys would recognise them as any other aspect? Would it work out to be the viewable area of another aspect ratio?

I will move forward with this and shoot a chart or something to see if it actually works but would it be a better idea of invest in a proper SR3 1.66 screen?

Thanks!

Photo%2017-4-17%2013%2002%2056.jpg

• Premium Member

Probably 1.78 or 1.85 centre crop, looks like the old clear tape on the ground glass trick. Might even be one I did.

If you can access a Hirschman clamp you can safely remove the ground glass to measure it exactly. (Maybe at Cameraquip, or drop in to Panavision after next week and I can help).

• Premium Member

We used to do this with Regular 16mm Arriflex cameras, including SR & SR II. Tape the top and bottom of the fibre optics screen to indicate where a 16:9 crop would be taken out of the middle of the Regular 16mm image, as an aide for framing, knowing we were going to grab a 16:9 image off the final film in telecine.

Remove the screen with a Hirschman forceps and carefully peel off the tape. You may need to use some rubbing alcohol or an fresh piece of tape to remove the residue that will probably be left behind when you peel the old tape.

Good luck.

Best,

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the abhorrently large photo, but one more question:

It looks like the ground glass isn't central to the actual .... camera?

I loaded some film in and traced out the gate onto the film and it looks perfect in relation to the film plate and magazine so I'm thinking it was a good bit of work modifying it but the ground glass being 'off-centre' seems odd to me. Can anyone think of a reason this would / wouldn't work?

I feel like it's central to where regular 16 would be, not super 16.

0b3f38f2-cb2f-4277-8776-dada23a06d8e.png

• Premium Member

It's got an SR3 screen installed with regular 1.37 markings

There are no 1.37 markings with any camera finder. The regular image aspect ratio is four to three or 1:1.333, with regular film (35mm) and with all the small gauge formats (9½mm, 16mm, Double Eight, Super 8).

The 1.375 ratio is found with the metric camera aperture standard figures which are 22 mm on 16 mm. The Academy standard figures of 1932 were 0.868" on 0.631" (1,37559). ISO 2906 of 1984 defines 0.864" by 0.630" (1,37143). The frame on your GG should measure 0.380" by 0.286" (1,3287) or 9,65 by 7,26 mm (1,329), the projectable area. Most projector apertures are still a tad smaller.

Would please everybody stop talking about 1.37—cinema and home screens have been four to three since 1909.

I’ll be back each time this will come up. Pathetic, I know, but hooey on the other side

There was definitely some shift with the cross hairs for s16.. I know because I worked on a shoot in the 80,s and the GG hadn't been set for s16.. and everything was framed off centre.. but its wasn't something you did yourself !

• Premium Member

Say I am a technician like Dom Jaeger and Jean-Louis Seguin. Like Betelgeuse would be flattering, but no.

16mm is the most critical film format, technically. The Arriflex 16 SR doing weave picks me, so I want to understand what’s up there.

ARRI did inscribe 1.37 markings in SR3 ground glasses which was a mistake. To be frank, I’m not an admirer of ARRI.

• Premium Member

Sorry for the abhorrently large photo, but one more question:

It looks like the ground glass isn't central to the actual .... camera?

I loaded some film in and traced out the gate onto the film and it looks perfect in relation to the film plate and magazine so I'm thinking it was a good bit of work modifying it but the ground glass being 'off-centre' seems odd to me. Can anyone think of a reason this would / wouldn't work?

I feel like it's central to where regular 16 would be, not super 16.

Yes you have a standard 16 ground glass, or fibre screen as Arri called it. If it has a gap on one side so that the aperture window is offset, it's for standard 16.