Jump to content
John R Ker

In Reverence of Light by Sven Nykvist - English edition?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if there was ever an English edition of this book published? Haven't been able to find it online.

519fpyVb-2L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have it in Spanish, bought it in a second hand store many years ago. 

I had always thought that being a book from Nykvist it was already translated to English, it surprises me that it is not!.
It is a collection of Nykvist's memories from his childhood to his movies in Hollywood sprinkled with a lot of funny anecdotes. 

He also talks about the "Nordic Light" and the way he seeks simplicity yet perfection in all his work, but the simpler the better and that he is always trying to look for the real, truthful light which led him to use less lights and take advantage of the available light on the locations.

It is a similar book to that of Nestor Almendros, A Man With A Camera.

Alternatively you could watch the doc about Nykvist! 😊 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Keeps-Company-Sven-Nykvist/dp/B00I2U8YJE

And you can read a bit of it in English on the following website:

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/documentary-sven-nykvists-lighting-process-sacrifice/

Anyways, if you happen to understand Spanish I have it on PDF as well 😊 

Have a lovely day.

Edited by Miguel Angel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miguel! I've seen the doc. Brilliant. Unfortunately I can't read Spanish. Thanks for the offer!

1 hour ago, Miguel Angel said:

I have it in Spanish, bought it in a second hand store many years ago. 

I had always thought that being a book from Nykvist it was already translated to English, it surprises me that it is not!.
It is a collection of Nykvist's memories from his childhood to his movies in Hollywood sprinkled with a lot of funny anecdotes. 

He also talks about the "Nordic Light" and the way he seeks simplicity yet perfection in all his work, but the simpler the better and that he is always trying to look for the real, truthful light which led him to use less lights and take advantage of the available light on the locations.

It is a similar book to that of Nestor Almendros, A Man With A Camera.

Alternatively you could watch the doc about Nykvist! 😊 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Keeps-Company-Sven-Nykvist/dp/B00I2U8YJE

And you can read a bit of it in English on the following website:

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/documentary-sven-nykvists-lighting-process-sacrifice/

Anyways, if you happen to understand Spanish I have it on PDF as well 😊 

Have a lovely day.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John R Ker said:

Thanks Miguel! I've seen the doc. Brilliant. Unfortunately I can't read Spanish. Thanks for the offer!

 

I should translate it in English 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Miguel Angel said:

I should translate it in English 😄

sign me up for a copy!

The Sacrifice has some eerie connections to our current situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, Xavier Cunilleras said:

Thanks Miguel, just downloaded the book

 

 

On 5/31/2020 at 12:35 AM, Jordan Beard said:

Thanks Miguel!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it! 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Roly Osborne said:

Also downloaded. Gracias, Miguel Ángel

You're more than welcome Roly! 

I have actually started translating it in English, maybe I'll finish it by the end of the year! 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

You're more than welcome Roly! 

I have actually started translating it in English, maybe I'll finish it by the end of the year! 😄 

¡Pos buena suerte majo!

My "other" job is a translator. It ain't easy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Metropolis Post



    Rig Wheels Passport



    Glidecam



    Ritter Battery



    Just Cinema Gear



    Gamma Ray Digital Inc



    New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment



    Serious Gear



    Tai Audio



    Wooden Camera



    G-Force Grips



    The Original Slider



    FJS International



    Visual Products



    CineLab



    Abel Cine



    Paralinx LLC



    Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS



    Broadcast Solutions Inc


    Cinematography Books and Gear
×
×
  • Create New...