Killers of the Flower Moon

• Premium Member
On 10/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

Yea friend of mine showed me a video on his phone, dismayed it was nearly all Alexa BTS footage, asking why it was shot on the Alexa when it says 35mm. I had to explain to him that they use Alexa for night scenes a lot these days. I have no idea what video he was watching sadly, been on a shoot for a month. 

I talked to Prieto, he said about 85% of the movie was shot on film, but most of the night exteriors (not all) were shot digitally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Jon O'Brien said:

... that ...... thing. It's the video look. It's just a thing film shooters notice about video.

precisely that......its not pseudo-connoisseur-ism (?!).....when of a certain age and many many many years if cinema-going one delves into the visual directory in the brain that detects differences...... much like the amusing scenes of the priest doing his censorship in film 'Cinema Paradiso' I will be muttering to myself...."that's digital" for my own amusement....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
On 10/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, David Mullen ASC said:

I talked to Prieto, he said about 85% of the movie was shot on film, but most of the night exteriors (not all) were shot digitally.

Yea, that's what I had guessed. Prieto is a great guy and very talented, he knows the best places to use the formats. Honestly, if I were doing such a big movie, I'd probably do the same thing. 

In your conversation, did you by any chance ask why they didn't make any prints? Seems like such a 70mm release to me. I wonder if they just didn't bother due to cost since the film itself was so costly. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yea, that's what I had guessed. Prieto is a great guy and very talented, he knows the best places to use the formats. Honestly, if I were doing such a big movie, I'd probably do the same thing. 

In your conversation, did you by any chance ask why they didn't make any prints? Seems like such a 70mm release to me. I wonder if they just didn't bother due to cost since the film itself was so costly. 

I didn’t ask but I recall way back that the 70mm prints of “Hamlet” were quite expensive due to the running time, but that was also because of the mag striping needed back then for sound.

Maybe Apple didn’t want it… they aren’t big on physical media!

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 9:57 PM, Robin Phillips said:

I havent seen an operational one available for rent for a long time. you can find them on ebay, if you know someone mechanically inclined enough. I dont know if Photosonics will even touch them anymore. they were primarily scientific cameras.

The idea of Kodak doing a low run of such a high ISO film is disconnected from the reality of the production and market for film. You'd have to buy a million feet or more, and the R&D may prove its simply not possible (or not possible without a massive effort that would make the material vastly more expensive than digital alternatives)

I have an operational Photo-Sonics  4B camera that I use an year ago for an upcoming big feature ?

And also few 16 Photosonics ( one that have an Ultramax format ).

For more infos www.lositointernationalfilms.com

or 

https://ymcinema.com/2023/09/27/meet-the-photo-sonics-actionmaster-ultramax-high-speed-500-fps-film-camera/

https://www.instagram.com/photosonicsguru?igsh=ZHM5MTU1cG41ZjVs&utm_source=qr

Thanks!

Max

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Saw it last night and really enjoyed the experience. Very engaging and it didn't feel over-long or drawn-out (which is something I felt very strongly with Silence).

Looked fantastic (never a surprise with Rodrigo behind the camera). I particularly loved the look of the daytime exteriors - which felt rather more "lit" than the average daytime exterior these days - I thought it was a lovely, it wasn't obvious and didn't draw your eye to it, but it felt like you could really see everything.

There was one scene that I couldn't quite wrap my head around the lighting for though. In the saloon/cafe where Ernest gets arrested. The location had big windows, but the action started so deep in this (really quite dark-walled) room, and then moved right up next to the windows, and the exposure was just perfectly even throughout (with the windows never blowing out). I'd love to know how they did that, I'm sure it can't have been anything as simple as an iris-pull.