Online example/stills of 8mm

As an high-school student that wants to experiment with 8mm and lighting, I'd like to see some online examples of 8mm.

I don't know anybody who owns an 8mm camera or footage. My still pictures come out fine,

and now I'm considering buying a used camera, and experiment with 2 rolls of the new VISION2 films.

I assume you mean Super8mm, rather than the older standard/double 8mm format.

I would not looks for any frames on line as they potentially don't give you the full idea of quality.

The vision 200 is amazing in super8. The small frame lends the picture a very distinct quality and look, and very high quality with the light lighting conditions.

Matt

I don't think you'll find much online in S-8 stills. The format had already largely died out by the time the web grew to prominance.

A few years ago we had some discussions on S-8 along with frame grabs. Matt Pacini discussed his feature "Lost Tribes" and a fellow from Australia posted some frame grabs. Check the archives.

Frankly, from what I've seen, this forum is anti-8mm. It's not completely their fault, as S8 honestly isn't a truly professional format. Then again, it'd be nice if there was at least a section given to 8mm just as there are for 16mm and 35mm. To get the straight dope on DR8 and S8 and anything in between, go to: http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com. The forum there is excellent. Their gallery also has numerous examples of frames from 8mm filmstock. Go to: http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/ and then click on Film Frames, or something like that which will have many many examples of the frames you seek. There is also a telecine site that has a link on the homepage I gave you above that has some wonderful full size transfers available as jpg's. Granted, they're compressed somewhat, but they're big enough that you can see the individual grains on the film. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Karl Borowski

David Mullen Posted on May 20 2004, 07:00 AM

I don't know where you got that idea. I owe my entire career to the decade I spent only shooting Super-8. I love it!

Then why isn't there a forum for it here? I really like the Shooting 8mm Forum, but it is very amateurish (which suits me well as I am an amateur, but is sometimes lacking as there aren't as many experienced filmmakers there as there are here.) I definitely think it would be worthwhile to have a forum where pros (i.e. people who have shot 8mm in music videos and 8mm segments in movies and television) could give advice on 8mm. I would prefer it be titled "8mm Only" as Double Regular 8 still has a limited repertoire. Yes, I'm probably one of only 5 people in the states that shoots it, but please don't discriminate :-)

Regards.

• Premium Member

I need a spare kidney Phil, but I drank all my money away on Martinis. I can do the operation myself if you're cool with that.

'Lost Tribes' frame grabs seem rather washed out and not so sharp either. Black sits 10 or 15% up and the gamma could do with a push. My personal thoughts but surely S8 can look much crisper than this. I'm thinking of Vision500 in this format for a TV series, mostly night ext., and every camera a crash-cam. Budgeting for 3 or 4 cameras an episode...

I vote as well for a super8 only forum.

In some ways it is the hardest format to shoot. I don't see it as an amateur format anymore but more as a welcome professional format if it is well mastered and its strengths and weaknesses are understood by the director and dp.

Painting on a canvas with a 99 cent toilet brush will not give the same result (brush stroke) as a 3000 dollar sable brush and no one can say one is "better" or more "professional" than the other.

Oliver Stone has done some very interestng work with super8.

I wish that more "serious" telecine suites here in France had super8 gates.

Not to mention the need for more labs able to handle the new super8 emulsions.

I think that a super 8 forum would be a great asset. I see more and more telecine facilities here in the states with Super 8 gates. Kodak has just released two new stocks and two new B&W stocks a little while ago. Things seem pretty good for this format. Has anyone seen Twin Falls Idaho? Didn't they use Super 8 in a dream sequence?

chris

Yeah I think a Super8 forum would make a great addition to the community. I actually stumbled across a pair of 16mm B & H 70DR's while looking for super8's. I'm still trying to get my hands on one. I want to do some very "old" looking shots for a feature next summer. I think super8 is a terrific format to work with. It provides young filmmakers with the opportunity to work with real film instead of video at a good price.

BTW here's a link to www.pro8mm.com who are a bit pricy I think but they've got a really long extensive video featuring the super8 format and explaining and giving information about it. I've found some good info on their site before.

Jon