Features recently shot on S16/stocks

Guest Michael Cathcart

Guest Michael Cathcart

Hey anyone knows this info or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

I would like to know what features (theatrically released films) released in probably the last ten years, were shot on S16, and also if possible what stock(s) they used.

• Premium Member

The Squid and the Whale is a recent one that I thought looked pretty good. There's an icg article in the October 2005 issue about it, I believe it was a blowup and not a DI.

Another recent one is The Devil's Rejects, which I believe was a DI.

Not sure what stocks were used though.

Guest Ian Marks

John Sayles' "Silver City" was shot Super 16 by Haskell Wexler (at age 81). The "making of" documentary shows both an A-Minima and a full-on XT-Prod (or whatever they're calling them) being used. I watched the DVD this weekend, and my overall impression was of great sharpness, but too much contrast (not enough fill). It looked to me like they relied on existing lighting on a lot of Colorado outdoor locations, and the light was pretty harsh.

"The Station Agent" is a good example of a Super 16 film - to the casual observer, it simply looks like a well shot film.

I just saw the film "Nine Lives" in the theater -- which was great, by the way -- and I'm sure it was shot on Super 16mm. I don't know what stock for sure, but I would guess 7218.

Hey anyone knows this info or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

I would like to know what features (theatrically released films) released in probably the last ten years, were shot on S16, and also if possible what stock(s) they used.

---IMDB.com is not the most reliable source, but here's there list:

http://imdb.com/SearchTechnical?PCS:Super%2016

'Never Die Alone' and 'Wonderland' were blown up to 2.35/1. SuperScope 16 one might call it.

'The Constant Garndener' was a mixture of S16 and S35.

---LV

• Premium Member

Super-16 is an excellent cost-saving choice when HD television and DVD release are definite, and a 35mm print release could happen after additional funding for the DI and 35mm film-out is in hand:

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm

For lowest graininess, shoot with the lowest speed film the light allows, use the latest stocks (like Kodak VISION2 Color Negative Film) and avoid underexposure.