Camera Photos

Gino Terribilini

I'm not sure if there is a topic on here where you can post pictures of your camera, so I thought i'd just start one. I wanted to brag for a minute about my Arri S' recent makeover. I got her converted to 12v, then took her on a shoot and hooked up a video tap, which was connected to a wireless transmitter so the DP and Director could have their own portable monitors. This was also the first time she was able to use her 400' magazines, so that was cool, too. Make sure your wives/ girlfriends aren't in the room... they might get jealous...

640427997_l.jpg

I'd also like to see some of your cameras and the getup you have for them. Post them here

Edited by Gino Terribilini

• Premium Member

Very cool Gino.

What lens and lenses are you using? And who made the video tap you are using? Is it the type that attaches to the eyepiece of the viewfinder? Can you post a picture of the camera where we could see the video tap?

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

Very cool Gino.

What lens and lenses are you using? And who made the video tap you are using? Is it the type that attaches to the eyepiece of the viewfinder? Can you post a picture of the camera where we could see the video tap?

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

I only have 3 prime lenses (16, 25, 50) and we were switching between all 3. The video tap was rented from Alan Gordon in Hollywood (next to Paramount). It had a small Sony CCD camera hooked up to a simple rig that screws into the eyepiece slot. The image you see was taken with my cell phone because my digital camera broke and the quality of the photos with the rig isn't good at all. I took some with a disposable camera and will get that developed sometime early next week. I'll toss those pictures on as soon as they show up.

• Premium Member
Here is one from the back. You can see the video tap fairly well, but again, this was taken with my cell phone, so excuse the poor quality.

post-9188-1144899978.jpg

Thanks Gino. Looks like you guys were shooting some green screen.

-Tim

• Premium Member

Okay Gino, here are my two cameras. The Arriflex 16SR (my production camera) is for sale so I probably won't have that much longer, and the Arri 16S is my personal camera and would be very hard to part with.

SR1.jpg

ArriS.jpg

-Tim

Guest stoop
holy crap you all have such sick setups. I have a Canon GL2 and a K-3.

You an still make a k3 look pretty sexy!

k1.jpg

• Premium Member

a-minima.jpg

I'm shooting a short this weekend and I happened to take a quick snap of the A-Minima with my 20D while waiting for the sun to go back under a cloud. Note the Oppenheimer powerbase. It has a much smaller profile than the Aaton powerbase, but you sacrifice the rod's being at the proper height for any rod-mounted mattebox system. Clips-ons work well though. I very much recomend shooting with primes on the camera, I have a Canon 11/165, and I try to avoid it (great lens, just makes the A-Minima front heavy). My goal is to shoot as much of the film as possible with the one Zeiss 16mm. So far so good, I've only needed the zoom for one shot and as the rest of the film (85% of it) will be stolen shots on the subway, I doubt if I'll be taking the time to throw the zoom on.

That A-Minima belongs to my employer, but I used to own an Arri S, which I miss dearly. I had to sell it to finance my own film.

On a side note, I absolutly love my 20D... with a 50mm prime... it's all I need!

• Premium Member

Sweet Nathan. You had me going for a minute there, I thought you bought that. How is that thing to hand hold? You don't actually put it on your shoulder do you? I read that you kind of just press it into your chest. Is it very steady that way?

-Tim

• Premium Member
Sweet Nathan. You had me going for a minute there, I thought you bought that. How is that thing to hand hold? You don't actually put it on your shoulder do you? I read that you kind of just press it into your chest. Is it very steady that way?

-Tim

Well, they're not too terribly expensive. It's not like buying, say, and XTRprod or SRIII. You can pick up a new A-Minima camera body for the eBay price of a first generation used XTR body. Add glass and accessories and the price goes up, but you can order it in a Nikon mount (which, for reasons I can't understand doesn't happen too often) and put some nice Nikkors on there. We sell them new and used fairly often and more than a few users on this forum are owners.

I have a real love-hate relationship with the A-Minima. I'm the guy who fixes them (or atleast is factory authorized to do so) in the United States, so I deal with it on a daily basis, and I typically only see ones that are broken or need service... it's not a terribly convienient camera to service compared to an SR or XTRprod. Other than adjusting screen focus or flange focal distance, you have to split open the shell around the chassis, which we seal with silastic to get to anything. So, if a toothed belt goes, I have to pry it open, scrape off all of the old silastic, disassemble much of the mechanism to replace the belt, reassemble and re-seal checking everything on my way back out and cleaning up little silastic particles. This is why, just to replace a belt, I have to start at charging 3 hours of labor (one for the pre-check, one to open it and one to close/final check) to install a $200.00 belt. That'll teach you a hard (read: expensive) lesson to not 'inch' the camera by manually moving the sprocketed rollers and rather than using the electronic inch button!

On the other hand, they're damn robust and other than routine maintenance, I mainly see dings and dents and what not, as their only real flaw is thier size which makes it attractive to put them in ungodly places and strap them to what ever vehicle and occasioanlly UNDER whatever vehicle...

A lot of people will pull it out of the case by the eyepiece, prematurely loosening it from the chassis and gate and occasionally the buckles that hold the film down on the sprockets might back off... both simple adjustments easily done in the field.

Strangly enough, I've never seen (or heard of) scratched footage from an A-Minima.

Either way I love shooting with it! Loading it isn't that difficult once you're used to it, and loading with daylight spools is a nice luxury. It's fine to hand hold, no different really from a DVX100, but it does fit in your shoulder like a rifle butt. I really like to have the top-handle on it with a 4" onboard monitor, great for low angle shots. I only have a few complaints... the non-orientable viewfinder and the lack of a mechanical footage counter on the magazines in addition to the electronic one. Otherwise it's a fine camera and a huge intellectual leap in design, but if we weren't stealing shots in the subway, I'd be using an XTRprod, which balances with a zoom better. A typical zoom on the A-Minima makes it front heavy and wears your arm out quickly as you're trying to compensate for the zoom. But, with a prime.. c'est magnifique!