Camera Photos

Gino Terribilini

• Premium Member
My camera (Eclair ACL 1.5) has been sent off for upgrades but here are some pictures of the lenses I use.

These are 6 Optar Illuminas and 1 Cooke 10.4-52.

Mike Welle

Charleston, SC

I'm always mixed about Illuminas but I just love the Cooke 10.4-52. Just a great lens.

We had a set of the Elites in the office the other day and they're pretty slick... they look identical (mechanically) to Cooke S4's. I believe we're going to buy a set for rental.

Here's mine

cine2.gif

I normally operate it with a follow focus and rod mounted matte box but I took them off for a bit of quick run-and-gun work. I dispensed with a viewfinder and was going to add an LCD video split but decided I liked the parallax method better. I've had my forearm crystal synched so synching the audio with the phonogram playback isn't a problem. The camera doesn't give too much sound either when operating - the natural wood body work tends to act as a barney fairly well.

As you can see from the following photograph

cine3.gif

I've purposely kept the inner mechanics fairly simple to be easy to repair. In fact the whole thing only cost me $9.85 to build - and $3 of that was for the coke bottle I ground down to make the lense. My next step is to make 50,000 feet of film for it - I've developed a method where I can reconstitue laundry soap to make the cellulose base for the film - it has the added bonus of cleaning the camera as it runs. I should be able to make the film for about a quarter of a cent per foot this way. My overall aim is to make a feature for $23.95. At the moment I'm feeling pretty confident about it. I've just got to make a boom mike out of my old paint roller and I'm set.

Scot

Here's my Beaulieu R16, i believe its an automatic. I got it a couple of months ago for a pretty decent price.

Its no Arriflex but it does the job...post-11016-1144878454.jpg

Did you ever get a "lost loop" with the R16 where the film is not loaded correctly and comes out all jumpy and blurred?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

Guest Ian Marks
here's my SR3. I don't have a picture of my S.

Looks like one of those "stealth" SR3's... great for undercover work.

:=)

Did you ever get a "lost loop" with the R16 where the film is not loaded correctly and comes out all jumpy and blurred?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

No, all three of my films turned out almost perfect, nothing ended up jumpy or blurry but I guess it can happen.

• Premium Member
a-minima.jpg

Nathan,

Missed you at NAB. Talked to Rich and some of the other Abel folks, but they said you weren't gonna be there, would've taken you out for a beer.

Spent the better part of a day at the ARRI booth drooling over the 416, then walked back over to the Abel booth and looked at the A-Minima. It really is a peanut. That is just the smallest, most amazing little Super 16 camera ever made. I only get the chance to look at or play with one about once a year (usually at a show like NAB) and I am always taken aback by how tiny it is. Like you could just put it in your back pocket. Love that camera.

-Tim