Some reviews of my recent movie

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Some early reviews of The Astronaut Farmer have mentioned my cinematography. Some quotes:

Variety:

Madsen is radiant -- often literally, given beatific-backlighting nature of M. David Mullen's widescreen photography -- as an ideal wife and mother...

Lensing is by far the outstanding element in the smooth $13 million production package (shot in New Mexico doubling as Texas), with several truly gorgeous sunset and sunrise sequences highlighting a visual presentation that at times borders on the excessively prettified.

Hollywood Reporter:

Shot in 33 days for $13 million, a markedly larger budget than they have worked with before, the Polishes do a lot with a little by Hollywood standards to make a polished, mainstream, thoroughly quirky family entertainment...

Cinematographer M. David Mullen does wonders with New Mexico's light and dazzling sunsets, evoking the romance and bleakness of the Southwest.

Santa Fe / Albuquerque, surrounding small towns.

It's beautiful up there. We did a Doc. on body building up in Santa Fe shot on digital about three or four years ago and my family used to drag race in Albuquerque a lot. Let me know if you ever get down to El Paso. They shoot 2 or 3 movies a year here, so who knows, you might get a chance to expirence the Sun City. The last big one was Glory Road. Now that your getting press, you might have your pick of films. I'm really excited for you. It could happen to a nicer guy. B)

• Premium Member
Variety.........Madsen is radiant -- often literally, given beatific-backlighting nature of M. David Mullen's widescreen photography --

Hollywood Reporter..............Cinematographer M. David Mullen does wonders with New Mexico's light and dazzling sunsets, evoking the romance and bleakness of the Southwest.

Reviews to die for! Couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

It's beautiful up there. We did a Doc. on body building up in Santa Fe shot on digital about three or four years ago and my family used to drag race in Albuquerque a lot. Let me know if you ever get down to El Paso. They shoot 2 or 3 movies a year here, so who knows, you might get a chance to expirence the Sun City. The last big one was Glory Road. Now that your getting press, you might have your pick of films. I'm really excited for you. It could happen to a nicer guy. B)

That's suppose to read "COULDN'T happen to a nicer guy", sorry about that.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Just saw the Hi-Def trailer for The Astronaut Farmer, your cinematography is beautiful David. Congratulations.

Anyone who is interested can view the Quicktime trailer in small form or in HD at this web address:

The Astronaut Farmer Trailer

Can't wait to see that final sunset.

-Tim

David i am so happy for you hope to see your name in the Oscar nominees soon

i really like your work and know the long way you have done since 1999 the year i join this great forum

hard work pays

mainly at the age when any one how shoot same thing calls them self DP

I am not sucking up to you in the least by saying that the style of cinematography I've seen in the film's trailer is what is most lacking other than save for good screenplays in mainstream modern cinema.