Best director's viewfinder

James Steven Beverly

I just bought an Isco-Optic Director's Viewfinder II because my DoP suggested director's viewfinder would be a good tool to have while scouting locations and I've been wanting one for a while now anyway AND this one will do 1/2in video format which is what my JVC GY-500 is so I can use it with it and my 35mms. I was just wondering who out there uses a director's viewfinder on a regular basis and which ones the have, also what are some of the best ones AND what do they go for? B)

Yeah, I paid a little more than I wanted to but new they go for 1300 bucks so I guess I got a good deal if it works correctly. I wanted a good one and I believe these are somewhat medium to high end, but that's why I wanted to see what everyone else used, because I'm not well versed in these things. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I made a Director's Scope out of an old toilet roll, what can I say...it works...sort of...not really...no. :(

Another valuable contribution, Matthew...

The Alan Gordon viewfinder is probably the best, but expensive. I've got an unbranded one that i bought from Panavision for about £150. It's similar to the Du-All viewfinder. No frills, but does what I want it to.

I use a DVX100B. Barry Green in his book put a nice chart that tells you based on the digital readout of your zoom, what the 35mm equivalent lens would be. If I'm framing for S16mm, I use a Cavision viewfinder. It's really cheap just be careful. You get what you pay for and god help you if you ever need to send anything to them for repair. It could take months to get it back.

The Alan Gordon viewfinder is probably the best, but expensive. I've got an unbranded one that i bought from Panavision for about £150. It's similar to the Du-All viewfinder. No frills, but does what I want it to.

The MarkV or the MarkVb OR was it one of the earlier MarkIVs? I was wondering how well those worked, a lot of people recommended them. B)

If I'm framing for S16mm, I use a Cavision viewfinder. It's really cheap just be careful. You get what you pay for and god help you if you ever need to send anything to them for repair. It could take months to get it back.

Well the whole trick is not to drop the damn things, that's why the make that little strap that goes around your neck. :D I like there CINE DIRECTOR'S VIEWFINDER. It looks luke some of the higher end ones I've seen lately. Do you use the small one or the full sized one. B)

The MarkV or the MarkVb OR was it one of the earlier MarkIVs? I was wondering how well those worked, a lot of people recommended them.

They're all good, but it's quite a chunk of metal to cart around with you. Your Isco-Optic is in a similar price range to the Alan Gordon, so I would think it's of similar quality.

• Premium Member
They're all good, but it's quite a chunk of metal to cart around with you. Your Isco-Optic is in a similar price range to the Alan Gordon, so I would think it's of similar quality.

Hi Stewart,

The Downside of a heavy chunk of metal, when plonked in a case with a Nikon D70, the heavy chunk of metal killed the top LCD desplay!

Stephen

• Premium Member

A gentle suggestion for threads like this one: Please post website URL's if you know (or can cut and paste them). I personally do this all the time as a courtesy to others. If you include the http:// at the head of the URL then the Forum software will list it as a hot link.

For instance: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...;Q=&ci=3680? will take you right to the BHPhotovideo page for Director's Viewfinders. Be sure to include a blank space before and after the URL for the Forum software to properly format it as a hot link.

Give Matthew a break, a toilet paper roll squashed rectangular and cut to the right length is better than guessing! :)

Here is my Alan Gordon Mark Vb B) :wub:

It comes with four aspect ratio (2.40 Anamorphic, 1.85, 16x9-Digital HD, and 1.33 Film-Video 4x3).

Question is, for Super 16mm, the aspect ratio will be "16x9-Digital HD"? Shouldn't it be 1.66? but there is no marking for 1.66. Confused :unsure:

DSCN3192.jpg

• Premium Member
Here is my Alan Gordon Mark Vb B) :wub:

It comes with four aspect ratio (2.40 Anamorphic, 1.85, 16x9-Digital HD, and 1.33 Film-Video 4x3).

Question is, for Super 16mm, the aspect ratio will be "16x9-Digital HD"? Shouldn't it be 1.66? but there is no marking for 1.66. Confused :unsure:

DSCN3192.jpg

Hi,

16x9 is very close to 1:1.85. You should note that your finder is for 16mm not S16

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

16x9 is very close to 1:1.85. You should note that your finder is for 16mm not S16

Stephen

Stephen,

I was noticing that too. What is a good Director's Viewfinder that is calibrated for Super 16 (1.66:1)?

Thanks,

-Tim

Well, what would you guys do without me, you all need a pro around to make sure you don't overexpose or something. :D

Give Matthew a break, a toilet paper roll squashed rectangular and cut to the right length is better than guessing! :)

Actually it wasn't squashed or cut to any lenght, I just looked through it. :(

My Isco is calibrated for Super 16. It has a s16 setting at 1.66:1 and focal lenghts from 12mm to 115mm (what can I say, it's German). Of course it's freakin' 1300 bucks brand new so maybe 1.85:1 is close

enough :blink: If I had, had to pay that for it I wouldn't have got a Isco I'd have probably gone with a Cavision as well. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

I just got my Cavision out. It says, S16, 35 and AN on one side and 2/3", 1/2" and 1/3" on the other. It trombones with clicks and numbers to cover these lens lengths in S16- 10, 14, 20, 29, 43, 57, 86, and 114. The outer ring at the large end of the lens adjusts framing to cover these ratios- TV, 3516, 1.66, 16.9, 1.85, 2.35, and 2.55.It does seem to lack a kitchen sink, however.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kalkarman

General question about all viewfinders out there:

Can any actually show you the resulting depth of field based on lens choice?

(I mean not just indicate it to you in terms of numbers, I mean actually see it, like I would using the actual lens - and without having to get a viewfinder that is nothing more than a handle and an eyepiece, therefore lugging around the primes box everywhere on set).

I'm overseas so I can't get my hands on a Mark V easily, maybe I can find an Isco... do either of these show depth of field through the lens, or do they just "frame" it for you?

Thanks,

Kal

• Premium Member

I use an old Arri Directors viewfinder, I had it modded for Super 35. I prefer to line up with the actual lens as DoF affects my set ups as much as frame size.

On recces I hate any form of finder. People take it as too literal and things ALWAYS change between recce and shoot. In Tokyo they complain if your not on the same slab if sidewalk you were when you said on the recce "we'll cover it from here too......"

Shudder.......

After filters its a good thing to invest in

General question about all viewfinders out there:

Can any actually show you the resulting depth of field based on lens choice?

Kal

No. These finders provide a highly magnified aerial image. Everything is always in focus from the front element to infitity. To see the actual depth of field a ground glass is needed. The interchangeable lens finders have a removable ground glass.

It's probably impossible to produce a quality all in one finder, with a 15x zoom and ground glass, that will do 35mm to 1/3" video formats, and showed the depth of field for all formats and apertures. The cost would be astronomical.