Old Proffessional vs. New Prosumer cameras

Andy_Alderslade

I'm shooting a music video for a group of friends and as usual there's no money.

I tried to persuade them to shoot it on the the Sony DSR-570WSP, but they say they can't afford the rental for that camera. (Yep, heard that one before.)

So the only other option apart from the usual (prosumer) suspects like the Canon XL2 or DVX100 are some older proffesional camera I can hire like the Sony UVW100 or BVW610 betaSP cameras

So just wondering what people thought was the better option, both versatility wise and quality wise?

Setting a look in camera (at least partialy) is fairly important to me, also does the Sony betacams have 2/3' chip or similiar DOF?

Cheers,

Andy

• Premium Member

Beta SP does have a 2/3" chip, but I would go with the XL2 or DVX. Is 24p not a concern for you? Anything shot 60i, to me anyway, is not good. With the XL2 you could use different glass which would be cool, but again that costs $$$.

I'd probably go DVX, but that's just me.

Is 24p not a concern for you? Anything shot 60i, to me anyway, is not good.

Remember i'm in the PAL world so de-interlacing 50i in post is less of an issue.

I have less of a problem with interlaced footage than i do with a background thats simply impossible to get out of focus.

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

I shot a couple of shorts on a DSR 500 as part a series of shorts for young people that also had shorts shot on a BVW300 on Betacam SP. Although it was cropped for 16:9, the BVW 300 held up extremely well and had a very nice look.

The BVW 600 series has the same camera head as the old DVW 700 DigiBeta camera, so given a good lens, I personally would take some persuading to use a 1/3" CCD camera instead.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member
Go for one with tubes, they gives a softer image and wonderful light trails.

<_< I don't know any cameras kicking around these days with tubes all the cameras

listed above are CCD, tubes would be sold on Ebay as junk, nevermind how hard it would be for spares etc.

The BVW would be the choice in my opinion, if in decent condition heads - lens etc, the UVW100 is

a cheap betacam rig ( a poor mans betacam) 1/2 CCD's etc and generally features a cheap lens too.

Cheers

Sean

• Premium Member
So long as the heads have been well kept, the Beta SP's will give you excellent pictures. However I found the UVW100 to have a slightly noisy picture.

Hi.

I once got an acceptable picture from a UVW100 by reducing the detail, the noise level then became normal. FWIW the CCD needs loads more light than newer cameras.

Stephen

<_< I don't know any cameras kicking around these days with tubes all the cameras

listed above are CCD, tubes would be sold on Ebay as junk, nevermind how hard it would be for spares etc.

The BVW would be the choice in my opinion, if in decent condition heads - lens etc, the UVW100 is

a cheap betacam rig ( a poor mans betacam) 1/2 CCD's etc and generally features a cheap lens too.

Cheers

Sean

Oh nuts, I was looking for one with tubes.

Do you think if I could just find three tubes I wouldn't ever have to look for more again?

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone, managed to get a Sony DSR570 for the right money.

But now I know the BVW610 is a decent camera its good a option for longer narrative projects as they're so cheap to rent.

Cheers Everyone,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have shot with the 570 WSP and I really love it. But IMHO the head on the BVW isn't just decent, it's really good, if the camera was well handled and not mistreated in the past. But as for hassles in post (maybe having to rent a machine or rent a larger deck, I'd also go with DVCAM on small tapes, since it's easy to get a DVCAM to capture the stuff from. And the tapes are cheaper as well. Good luck with your shot & tell us how it went.

Cheers, Dave