Eastman 7255 stock...

Hey everyone,

I'm in pre-production for a feature length film where the producer has managed to get his hands on a lot of old Eastman 7255 reversal film stock.

Has anyone ever shot on this before? I believe it was discontinued some, what, 20 years ago? I'll probably shoot it like any other reversal stock, but I was wondering if there were any characteristic of it that I should be wary of.

I'll probably shoot a short test of it, and possibly get a snip test at the lab to find out what condition it's in. But I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member

Try 37 years ago...

From the Kodak chronology:

KODAK EKTACHROME Commercial film, 7255. Tungsten, EI 25. Process ECO-1. Replaced 5268. Replaced by 7252 in 1970.

Where are you going to find a lab that does an obsolete process (ECO-1)?

Maybe this place:

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/

But it would cost you an arm and a leg.

Where are you going to find a lab that does an obsolete process (ECO-1)?

Maybe this place:

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/

But it would cost you an arm and a leg.

That was another of one of my concerns. I've yet to find out how or why he bought this film stock. I wasn't involved in production at the time, so I'm still digging for that info.

This is a "zero budget" project, so I doubt they'll want to pay so much for processing

I started my career in 1973. ECO 7252 was fairly new then, 7255 was obsolete. I started processing 7252 in about 1976. I was the last European lab to process ECO-3 when we stopped it in about 1990. Even then the film had to be fresh to give good results. With enough light it would give stunning results on telecine. It was very low speed tungsten, would need lots of light for anything larger than interior tabletop sets.

The probabilty of 7255 still being fresh enough to give acceptable results is less than nihil even if you can manage to find ECO-1 processing at any price.

Hi,

That film will look absolutely terrible, any film manufactured between 1958 and 1970 will be pretty stone age, if that's the look you want it could be easily emulated in Super 8.

When was this batch actualy manufactured ?

-Thanxiness. B)

That film will look absolutely terrible, any film manufactured between 1958 and 1970 will be pretty stone age, if that's the look you want it could be easily emulated in Super 8.

When was this batch actualy manufactured ?

-Thanxiness. B)

Yeah, I let them know that the chances of lifting or achieving any kind of image after processing was EXTREMELY slim and that it would most likely be a waste of time and money to even attempt. The director still wants the saturated look of Reversal, but I told him our best option would be to shoot negative and take care of color saturation during the timing process.

He's never shot film before, so I'm basically the decision maker for what the best route will be.

I'm not sure when the batch was manufactured...pre 1970 I'm guessing. It sounds like he just happened upon a stack of old Ektachrome at a family member's or something, and is wanting to roll it. I just really don't want to waste my time and his money though.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
ECO wasn't particularly saturated anyway.

I thought that was the very IDEA of ECO, a low contrast stock so that when you went though one or two generations to make a release print you would still have a useable image. I only read the books when I was a kid ... But somehow I recall somthing like -- Not sutable for projection under any circumstance.

Well I think it was designed primarily to print well on to Kodachrome 7387 which was pretty high in contrast. (Which it did).

The original (at least 7252 - 7255 was before my time) was as David says, quite pastel; would look weird if you projected it.

I've seen recent blowups - of ECO 7255 & 7252 to 35mm Vision stock via 5272 IN. They looked _really_ good, (although slightly grainier than I would have expected) but this was ECO shot in it's prime.

-Sam Wells

To give you some idea of what it looked like, most of "Woodstock", the concert film, was filmed on 7255 and blown up to 70mm.

Actually printed onto a Techniscope I/N.

'Equinox' which is now out on a Criterion DVD was 7255.

There are two versions, the first 'Equinox' is transfered from a combinanation of a 16mm I/N and a 16mm composite print, neither was complete.

The longer theatrical version was transfered from a 35mm I/N.

While the 35mm I/N is sharper, the 16mm I/N-print combo has the better fleshtones and over all color.

Also a bit contrastier, which gives it a nice snappiness.

To give you some idea of what it looked like, most of "Woodstock", the concert film, was filmed on 7255 and blown up to 70mm.

Actually printed onto a Techniscope I/N.

According to an interview, on Kodak's website it was 16mm ->65mm i/n. - "A custom-built Technicolor lens would provide single-generation, liquid gate blowups, with opticals done simultaneously. The lens was simply aimed at various parts of the 65mm frame to produce the trademark multiple images now so familiar to anyone who has seen the film."

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...woodstock.shtml

According to an interview, on Kodak's website it was 16mm ->65mm i/n. - "A custom-built Technicolor lens would provide single-generation, liquid gate blowups, with opticals done simultaneously. The lens was simply aimed at various parts of the 65mm frame to produce the trademark multiple images now so familiar to anyone who has seen the film."

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...woodstock.shtml

Someone's bullshitting the writer. That's a fantasy.

If you can spare $25 get the American Cinematographer Woodstock issue 10-70.

http://www.theasc.com/cgibin/store/acsstor...%20Issues;1970s

The articles are contemporary to the film itself.

I started my career in 1968 , at a small doco , medical ad ,film company and 7255 was the stock they usedd , it was never used for projection but printed onto either a Kodachrome print stock or some sort of shitty Ektachrome print stock ,then 7252 replaced it . I remember shooting a hip replacement operation , where i had to use so much light with awful reveral stock 25asa ,that the blood started steaming , yuk , they wernt the days . although i did learn how never to light anything in my life again like that .

Someone's bullshitting the writer. That's a fantasy.

If you can spare $25 get the American Cinematographer Woodstock issue 10-70.

http://www.theasc.com/cgibin/store/acsstor...%20Issues;1970s

The articles are contemporary to the film itself.

Interesting, I'll have to stop by my local library and have a look at that issue :)

Yeah, I let them know that the chances of lifting or achieving any kind of image after processing was EXTREMELY slim and that it would most likely be a waste of time and money to even attempt. The director still wants the saturated look of Reversal, but I told him our best option would be to shoot negative and take care of color saturation during the timing process.

He's never shot film before, so I'm basically the decision maker for what the best route will be.

I'm not sure when the batch was manufactured...pre 1970 I'm guessing. It sounds like he just happened upon a stack of old Ektachrome at a family member's or something, and is wanting to roll it. I just really don't want to waste my time and his money though.

Maybe Kodak vision expression film stocks would be something like what you are looking for if you are going to shoot colour neg.

If you are thinking about shooting colour reversal then you can still get ektachrome e100D, which is an E6 process. However it's still more expensive to have processed than reversal and obviously reversal is harder to shoot than neg.

love

Freya