Auricon 1200

Niki Mundo

I just won this camera on ebay, it have a rack-over viewing viewfinder..is that pretty precise? Also it takes C-mount lenses.. alot of video security cameras have C-mounts, can I just put one of those onto this 1960's era 16mm camera. Who makes the sharpest C-mount lenses?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Also it takes C-mount lenses.. alot of video security cameras have C-mounts, can I just put one of those onto this 1960's era 16mm camera. Who makes the sharpest C-mount lenses?

Yes, you can. But best use the search feature, you'll find loads of discussion on these topics!

Cheers, Dave

Guest Ole Dost
Yes, you can. But best use the search feature, you'll find loads of discussion on these topics!

Cheers, Dave

Best c-mount lenses are those made by Schneider or Kern. Sometimes you also get Zeiss Tevidon on EBay. Great as well. DO NOT USE the video-lenses with c-mount! They are not built for the high resolution of the 16mm Film!!

• 2 months later...
Best c-mount lenses are those made by Schneider or Kern. Sometimes you also get Zeiss Tevidon on EBay. Great as well. DO NOT USE the video-lenses with c-mount! They are not built for the high resolution of the 16mm Film!!

Actually, the Tevidons you mention are indeed "video" lenses. But made for 1" video, so they easily cover Super16, and are supposedly very sharp. I will have a set of 10mm, 16mm, and 25mm Tevidons shortly (already own the 10mm, and just won the two others on Ebay, and waiting for them to ship).

So I cant comment on thier resolution and usefullness until I recieve them, and shoot some resolution charts. After which I will give my results, and perhaps attempt to post some transfered footage.

Actually, the Tevidons you mention are indeed "video" lenses. But made for 1" video, so they easily cover Super16, and are supposedly very sharp. I will have a set of 10mm, 16mm, and 25mm Tevidons shortly (already own the 10mm, and just won the two others on Ebay, and waiting for them to ship).

So I cant comment on thier resolution and usefullness until I recieve them, and shoot some resolution charts. After which I will give my results, and perhaps attempt to post some transfered footage.

I'd be careful about using them shooting colour. Years ago I used a C mount video lens to shoot B & W 16mm, it wasn't stunning, but was OK. However, it was terrible shooting colour.

you really shouldnt use kern-switar RX lenses on your camera unles syou find a way to stuff a 9.6mm block of BK7 optical glass inthe film path. this will correct the image. the non RX lenses are ok. i have a couple of arriflex standard mount to c mount lens adaptors i use. you can get zeiss and schneiders then. having said that, the modern schneider c mount lenses are very good quality from what i hear but hard to fid unless you buy new. dont use video lenses unless you want to waste the whole point of using film to begin with. ive heard mixed thoughts on the zeiss tevidons. you really need to try them first or see some examples. according to the current seller of tevidons, dr optics, the image circle is 16mm wide...not 1 inch.

• Premium Member
color, resolution and sharpness will all be bad

Well, I think using a video lens on a 16mm camera might be a nice idea actually. Resolution won't be as good of course, but it might have a nice touch to it. And why should color be bad? Contrast won't be as good, yes.

Cheers, Dave