lost firearm

Niki Mundo

This might sound weird, I also couldn't find anywhere else to put it. Anyways, I'm a gun owner or I was - I stupidly left a .40 cal Glock in a gym locker room locker and someone cut the lock off and emptied the contents(probably management). I was purposely using this locker full-time, I put my own personal lock on it. I thinks it's unlikely some gym thief came along with a lock cutter and cut off the lock and gained acess to the stuff inside (workout clothes,towel,hygriene,firearm) BUT I would be upset if someone ended up using this weapon in the commision of a crime. That horrible thought of my gun being used to injure or kill another person. STILL..even though I lost wearabouts of the gun..I'm afraid to go management about this because I'm almost sure it against the club rules to bring a dangerous weapon onto the premises,and if I since I don't have a CWP (concealed weapons permit) from my state, the police will probably be contacted/involved. I would probably also be banned for life and would have a record.

haha, so I know there's alot of smart older gentlemen hear that could advise someone in my position.

NIKI

Edited by Niki Mundo

• Premium Member

(Apologies to anyone's religious beliefs, but...) J.F.C. you stepped in this time, Niki!

Take a step back and think about the consequences here. If management cut the lock and they know you were the person using the locker, then they know it's your gun anyway. If that gun is used in a crime it can likely be traced back to you. If you don't report the gun to the police as lost or stolen, and it's used in a crime, again it makes you look suspect.

Go to management at the gym and demand for your stuff back. So what if you broke their rules. Get your stuff back. If they claim ignorance or can't get it back to you, report the property to the police as stolen. Get it on record ASAP!!!!!!

I don't know Washington state's laws that well but it may not be a violation of any concealed weapons laws to store a firearm in a locker. Usually "carry" laws apply to transporting a weapon, on your person or in your vehicle. And even then, some states have specific provisions about that (like having the weapon in a closed case, unloaded).

Even though you've shown some exceedingly poor judgement, it's time to take responsibility. Get your stuff back, get a lawyer, and/or go to the police.

• Premium Member

If you gun is missing of stolen you must report it! It's not illegal to store it in a locker, unloaded, it's just storing it. It's only illegal to carry it, as far as I know, in most stated concealed and loaded (e.g. in a holster on your body). Pony up, let the club be mad if they're mad. It's a hell of a lot better than going to prison (just watch any episode of cops to prove that)

• Premium Member

I second all the above. The law varies state by state, but you MUST report it stolen immediately. There is nothing illegal about storing a loaded gun, and besides, you don't have to tell them it was loaded anyways.

Its a misdemeanor in CA to carry and conceal a loaded gun without a CCW. You just have to report it as soon as possible so that if any crimes are committed with it, it won't come back to you.

All this said, I agree with Phil.

Kevin Zanit

Well....that's americans for you.

jb

Nah, that can happen any where. It's when the person says, "I left my ICBM in my locker, and...." then you know it's an American :blink:

Other than that, yes Phil, what a ridiculous post.

R,

• Premium Member
Just say you needed it for a shoot.

A friend of mine got held up for 2 hours when flying into the states because he told immigration he was there to shoot a pilot.

It took them a while to believe he worked in TV and still let him off with a warning.

jb

First Niko, Cinematography.com is not the forum to discuss these issues. It is a site regarding film making. Call the NRA and ask them what you should do.

Leaving a hand gun in a gym locker loaded or unloaded was not a very intelligent thing to do. In California you would be in huge trouble. I think Washington State has pretty relaxed hand gun laws and as odd as it may seem you may not have violated any laws. Again, I?d call the NRA and find out what you should do. I would think you should report it to the gym, tell them you plan to report it to the police, and then report it to the police. The weapon may mysteriously reappear.

Regardless what the handgun laws are in your state I personally think it is foolish to leave a weapon in an area out of your control especially if it loaded.

First Niko, Cinematography.com is not the forum to discuss these issues. It is a site regarding film making. Call the NRA and ask them what you should do.

Leaving a hand gun in a gym locker loaded or unloaded was not a very intelligent thing to do. In California you would be in huge trouble. I think Washington State has pretty relaxed hand gun laws and as odd as it may seem you may not have violated any laws. Again, I'd call the NRA and find out what you should do. I would think you should report it to the gym, tell them you plan to report it to the police, and then report it to the police. The weapon may mysteriously reappear.

Regardless what the handgun laws are in your state I personally think it is foolish to leave a weapon in an area out of your control especially if it loaded.

C'mon guys! As if we didn't know Niko (!) Mundo around here well enough to know this whole post is nothing but a joke to get people going.

Niko, please stop wasting our time!

• Premium Member

I'm a gun owner, too, and I'm disappointed you would do something to irresponsible. <_<

Call your local police department and report your firearm stolen. You'll need to give them the circumstances of the theft, and the make, model, caliber, and serial number. Know that you in all likelihood, you will not get it back. If it is used in a crime as is quite likely with stolen guns, it will be evidence for a long time.

A friend of mine got held up for 2 hours when flying into the states because he told immigration he was there to shoot a pilot.

It took them a while to believe he worked in TV and still let him off with a warning.

jb

Ok, that almost made me spit my coffee all over my computer. Hilarious, well hilarious in retrospect, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.

I wonder how many other film terms would get us locked up or questioned.

As far as the original post.... what the deuce do you need a gun at a gym for? I know waits for gym equipment can be annoying but thats going a bit far. Didn't think people in the northwest were packing like that.

You took a BB gun to school in the UK???!!!! :o So how much prison time are you lookin' at? Remember, have you mom bring you cigarettes, you can trade 'em for protection. Actually that might get you prison time in America nowadays or at least expelled. But honestly I'm always amazed at the surprise from non-Americans that we actually own guns. My house looks like a damn arsenal, I've had guns since I was 6 and still haven't shot anyone.....unlike our vice-president..... it's no big thing guys. Guns are nothing more than a tool, I mean if you want to, you can kill someone with a hammer or a screwdriver.....or an ice pick (a favorite of mafia hit men because it leaves very little or no blood). In Texas you can even get a permit to carry a concealed firearm if you want one and you've never been convicted of a felony , go through the classes and pass a background check (the idea being to put guns into the hands of responsible, up-right citizens for their protection I suppose).

I never felt the need to carry a gun but I did go through the classes and checks just never applied for the license. I've got half a dozen friends who have carry permits and keep guns on their persons all the time.....and you know what, not ONE of them ever shot anyone either.....or even pulled the gun out as far as I know. Face it, the bad guys are ALWAYS gonna be able to get a hold of guns if they want them and they're not the guys that are gonna apply for permits. It's not the people who apply for permits you got to worry about.

I've got a Rugar 9 mil. I got as a gift from my father about 15 years ago with my name engraved on it that I keep loaded in the house but I haven't fired it or any other gun in maybe 9 years or more. If I had kids, it'd have a trigger lock on it but I don't so it doesn't. Almost everyone I know has guns, some occasionally go to the range or go out in the desert and shoot cans or hunt with them. My brother in law is a big hunter and gun fanatic. He collects them as does my father to a lessor extent. No one really thinks anything about it.

The only miss-use that seems common is every 4th of July or New Years Eve some moron can be heard shooting into the air, but it never lasts long as someone is always ready to call th police and they are not amused by idiots shooting within the city limits (even though we are at the very edge of the city) Here in the West, and dare I say most of the US, guns are as common as cars. It's no big deal to have one. A lot of women carry guns for protection (most of the time illegally, I think it's really more for their own piece of mind than something that would actually be all that useful if they were ever really attacked) so it's not uncommon for them to throw it, along with their bag into a locker (bit stupid to LEAVE it there though). in most states you actually can carry a gun in your car as long as it's un-loaded and the bullets are not kept together with it, like the gun in the trunk, the bullets in the glovebox or vice verse though I'd never keep a gun in the glove box 'cause it's a good way to get shot or at the very least hassled by the cops. (They get nervous when you reach into the glove box which is why everyone has their proof of insurance and registration in those Velcro-ed sun visor net bags). I really can't imagine what you who have never been to the US think it's like here. Actually even in the old west a lot of towns didn't allow you to carry firearms in the city limits. B)

That gun fires a 177. cal roundhead pellet with enough power to smash it's way through chipboard, it's far more powerful that a mere BB gun.

Actually, I had been in the garden shooting cans on a sunday afternoon, I went indoors after my spell in the garden expecting to back out, and left the gun in my pocket. The next day I was late for school, and just grabbed the first coat that came to hand... :blink: