why is processing so expensive in austria (europe?)

hi!

since i am not so experienced with 35mm we went ahead and got a quote from our local lab for a shortfilm on 2perf, which resulted in

2500 usd for 2400 ft. of film, developed and HD bestlight to hard disk

then, we couldn't find 2perf cameras where we wanted to shoot (hk), everybody was like "just shoot 4perf" and i couldn't believe what the people were suggesting because the quote for 4perf stuff here would be:

5000 usd for 4800 ft. of film, developed and hd bestlight to hard disk

why? because they are calculating the telecine cost by foot! which is around 70 us cent a foot!

so i researched a bit, called cinelicious in hollywood and the quote in the states was the following:

275 usd an hour for unsupervised "diamond clear hd"

i talked with a guy from there and he was saying around 3 hours for 45 minutes of film

so it resulted in:

2perf:

1200 usd developed and diamond clear hd

4perf:

1600 usd developed and diamond clear hd

which made it clear to me why everybody was suggesting to go 4perf

so am i overlooking something or is the rate here probably from a 2k scan (is that by foot?)

or is it just so much more expensive around here?

thanks for clearing up!

• Site Sponsor

The Processing (development) of the film is not a real factor, the Scan/Transfer is. If you shoot 4-perf you can avoid a DI all together and save allot by contact printing. ;) In general HD transfer or 2K scans are going to be least expensive in LA because there is so much capacity. Everywhere else is used to studio/ad rates and the gear is expensive to own/maintain i.e. a full Spirit/DaVinci 2K room is probably $1Million used these days.. so there is a minimum cost, around $0.70/foot is probably reasonable in a way.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Hello Xiao,

Frame counts stay the same. So, 4-perf will take as much time as 2-perf in the telecine, datacine or scanner. You save on "by the foot" deals but break even on "by the hour" deals. It's short ends and lab that you make your biggest savings in 2-perf. There are other benefits but I won't burden the thread with the same old songs.

As well, the US Dollar is pretty low. This is a good time to get as much post done in the US. Shipping costs and time delays seem to be the biggest offset to the value.

As Rob said, the scanning is the real factor here. Cinelicious uses an (older) modified Cintel URSA Diamond telecine machine. Which is cool, vintage and tubey, but not as expensive to buy as a newer Spirit, or as sharp for that matter. The European post houses are probably using Spirits, Northlights, Arriscanners or other pricey ccd-based (and sharper) machines. So that is your trade off. The Cinelicious machine is intriguing, I will give it a shot here soon mylself to see what they can do with it.

• Premium Member
so am i overlooking something or is the rate here probably from a 2k scan (is that by foot?)

or is it just so much more expensive around here?

Hi Xiao,

the market in Austria is so small that the competition isn't that fierce. What transfer house did you go to? I'm guessing either Listo or Synchro, since those are the only ones. Ask them both. You might also consider having development and telecine done in Munich, since the market there is huge compared to Austria and prices will likely be more competitive. At least that's my experience from gear rental which is far cheaper in Munich than here. A couple of years ago, Prague would have been a good idea too, but I reckon prices must have gone up there too recently. Hope that helps...

Cheers, Dave

i will definately send away my film in the future...

just checked on the prices of a fresh can of film in hk

90 euro, which is about 140 usd for a 400' roll of fuji 500d

that's just ridiculous, it's 250 euros here??

• Premium Member

No that's economics. The Euro is really strong right now and the demand for film isn't all that high here!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

200+ ft. short ends (4 min. 22 sec. runtime in 2-perf) sell here for anywhere between 6 to 17 cents per foot USD. Lab goes for around 8 to 14 cents a foot. 2-perf is automatically half as many feet anyway. If you're counting pennies, 2-perf is an excellent way to go.

Huh, I woulda figured France or England woulda been the place to get a deal in western Europe on 35mm processing and telecine. :unsure:

Nope, no film industry here!

There is a tradition of shooting 16mm here so the cost of processing 16mm here is slightly more reasonable but still expensive. 35mm OTOH is about half as much again. When the lab told me the price to process a can of 35mm and that there was a minimum $80 processing charge for any film processing my mouth fell open a little.

It's just the way it is here.

Suffice to say I'm seeing more and more of a digital future in Europe.

love

Freya

Freya a bit of subject but everything is a rip off in this country £4 for one stop on the London Underground .!! so processing goes along with everything else .

Yes true, although I have an oyster card that weighs me down wherever I go tho.

It's funny to see people drop their oyster cards in Newcastle etc while looking for stuff in their purse.

It is preety messed up here generally you are right.

I don't think I want to think about all that stuff too much tho because that way lies madness.

love

Freya

Sounds like awesome news for your project then!

Now you don't have to work out how to get any film to hong Kong without being x-ray'd.

If you can then find a place in HK. to process the film too then it could be fantastic!

That would just leave telecine to worry about. :)

Good luck!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Not that I can say with certainty, as I've never bought fresh 35mm stock firsthand, but I heard recently in another thread here that film prices in Europe (at least the UK) and the US were about equally low. Someone in that thread threw out the E$250 sorry, no Euro key on most American Keyboards) figure in that thread too and someone shot them down. What gives?

And even though the U.S. Dollar is the weakest it has been in a long time here, isn't it true that, when you factor in higher taxes there, everthing from the U.S. really isn't all that cheaper with a 20-30 percent markup? Only thing taxes are that high on here is gas, and it's still far cheaper here and that money goes entirely to road maintenance and public transportation. Sales tax here is only 7 1/2 per cent, 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 per cent down the street from here, and no sales tax if you buy from outside of your own state, due to the interstate commerce law, which makes up the money through taxes elsewhere, IIRC.

Nothing going on in the UK ? perhaps you just dont look for anything. A pal of mine, Steve Davis, has these facilities http://www.arion.co.uk/tk.html and needs 8 features running at a time to make it pay. Think he does a best light, with colourist, at 19 pence a foot

Isn't that about £80 for each 400ft can?

They look like nice facilities tho! :)

I don't think anyone said there was nothing going on in the u.k.

Quite frankly theres all kinds of stuff going on in the u.k. it's just that there is no film inustry here!

love

Freya

actually i found a lab and a telecine facility already

processing is 0.1 us cent a foot! at the lab that christopher doyle used to be at, mandarin labs that is

hd telecine is about 500 usd an hour

so that's quite cheap, and it the 2perf saving in hong kong would have been just peanuts...

we are testing on tuesday in hk, so i'll let you guys know how it went!

What the heck is an oyster card?

Have you checked out India for processing? They have the largest film industry in the world, so I would think they would be cheap, considering all of the other factors.

• Premium Member
What the heck is an oyster card?

Have you checked out India for processing? They have the largest film industry in the world, so I would think they would be cheap, considering all of the other factors.

It's a prepaid card that is used on the London transport system Ira http://www.visitlondon.com/travel/oyster/

it's just that there is no film inustry here!

love

Freya

You got like 35 movie studios in the UK :blink: :

Shepperton Studios

Teddington Studios

Elstree Film Studios

Twickenham Film Studios

Bladon Film Studios:

* pinewoodstudios.com

* ealingstudios.co.uk

* elstreefilmstudios.co.uk

* brighton and hove film studios

* twickenhamstudios.com

* coventgardenfilmstudio.com

* castingstudios.com

* amberroom.net

* courtyardstudios.co.uk/

* parkroyalstudios.com

* spacedstudios.com

* princesstv.com

* rushes.co.uk

* stonestudios.co.uk

* the-studio.co.uk

* 3mills.com

* hallifordfilmstudios.co.uk

* northlightfilmstudios.co.uk

* spectrecom.co.uk

* broadley.tv

* thecamdenstudio.com

* islandstudios.net

* hande.org

* farmstudio.co.uk

* islandstudios.net

* giltbrookstudios.co.uk

* northwoodproductions.co.uk

* litestructures-studios.com

* the-leeds-studios.tv/

They are called Metro cards or checks in some US cities. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's quite the same thing. An oyster card is a kind of RF enabled smart card. It has a sort of pay as you go type system where you put money onto the card and then it is deducted from the card as you touch in and touch out. It is connected to a computer database system that logs and tracks all your movements through the London underground system. The system works a bit like pay as you go mobile phones where you put credit on the sim card.

It's more complicated than that but thats the essence.

love

Freya

You got like 35 movie studios in the UK :blink: :

Shepperton Studios

Teddington Studios

Elstree Film Studios

Twickenham Film Studios

Bladon Film Studios:

* pinewoodstudios.com

* ealingstudios.co.uk

* elstreefilmstudios.co.uk

* brighton and hove film studios

* twickenhamstudios.com

* coventgardenfilmstudio.com

* castingstudios.com

* amberroom.net

* courtyardstudios.co.uk/

* parkroyalstudios.com

* spacedstudios.com

* princesstv.com

* rushes.co.uk

* stonestudios.co.uk

* the-studio.co.uk

* 3mills.com

* hallifordfilmstudios.co.uk

* spectrecom.co.uk

* broadley.tv

* thecamdenstudio.com

* islandstudios.net

* hande.org

* farmstudio.co.uk

* islandstudios.net

* giltbrookstudios.co.uk

* northwoodproductions.co.uk

* litestructures-studios.com

* the-leeds-studios.tv/

Nice list!

A lot of these are more television studios however. Until more recent times, we used to have quite a fantastic television industry here and we still have the remenants. We also have a certain amount of independant video prodution (industrials etc). Theres definitely still plenty of people shooting video.

The larger studios preety much exclusively serve the U.S. movie industry and we do have a nice little service industry that revolves around post for American productions. In fact that's generally where the government focus is. Check out the list of clients for the telecine house someone else just posted. That was actually preety impressive as it did include a fair few u.k. productions (all the ones that say working title next to them*) but you can instantly see that most of the clients are major U.S. studios (warner brothers etc)

Thanks for the list James! Theres a few I'm not familiar with and will check out later!

love

Freya

*Okay so working title are almost entirely owned by Universal these days but they do tend to make films in a more u.k. style with u.k. actors and crew etc. So they are at least sort of u.k. based IYSWIM? They also have a history that connects back to the collapse of polygram, so they have strong connections here. I know I'm pushing it to call them UK productions but I think they definitely are sort of, or at least the nearest thing we have.