cinematography of 08

Daniel Carruthers

Hi

not sure if this has been discussed yet?

but award season is coming up, and just wondering whats your favorite cinematography of 08?

heres my list so far

Wally Pfister-dark knight

Harris Savides-Milk

Anthony dodd mantle- Slum dog millionaire

Cesar charlone-Blindness

Claudio miranda- curious case of benjamin button

still alot of films I need to see,I really want to see deakins work in Revolutionary road and Doubt

• Premium Member

I've got at least another week of movie-going before I can draw up my list. I saw all of the films you listed except "Blindness" but I, as well, need to check out Deakin's work on "Revolutionary Road" and "Doubt", plus I probably should look at "The Reader" (Chris Menges with some Deakins work in there.)

I also want to rent the Blu-Ray of "The Duchess", which I missed in theaters.

Looking back at what I managed to see in the first half of the year, though, there wasn't a lot of exciting stuff, cinematography-wise. On the other hand, this was my busiest year to date, so I didn't get out as often as I normally do.

The Duchess has very handsome cinematography.

IMO, this hasn't been a super great year for cinematography. Prieto and Beebe didn't even do movies. Lubezki shot a comedy.

I've not seen Revolutionary Road yet. Benjamin Buttons was quite good, but nothing super special in terms of cinematography, IMO.

Dark Knight might be the dark horse in this race. Usually action superhero flicks would be dismissed from this category, but there is no doubt that Knight was an impressive accomplishment, and ground-breaking in terms of its use of IMAX.

Just got back from Doubt. Although the cinematography didn't jump out at you (isn't that a plus?), Deakins and his gaffer deserve the award for the "How the hell am I going to light these bonnets?". Though faces seems a bit hot at times, mostly there was really nice falloff creating a a niche for the characters to hide.

Just my take.

Still waiting for Duchess, Slumdog and Milk

Yeah that was a banner year.

Also, the year before that was SPR vs TTRL.

2005 saw some heavy hitters -- Pfister, Prieto, Elswit, Dion Beebe and Lubezki.

And look at 1984....

Amadeus -- Miroslav Ondricek

The Killing Fields -- Chris Menges

The Natural -- Caleb Deschanel

A Passage to India -- Ernest Day

The River -- Vilmos Zsigmond

The cinematography in Blindness was amazing,but the movie was terrible:(

so Im sure cesar charlone will be overlooked,but I hope he gets nominated?

Also Batman begins was nominated for an oscar,and asc,so Im sure wally will get nomintaed again

I thought the Dark Knight beats the cinematography in batman begins

Im actually hoping Wally wins,not just because of the imax footage which is sooo sweet:) but mainly I think his lighting is just amazing..

As for benjammin button,I think that movie showed the best example how cinematography and production design really benefit each other.

The ASC awards for best feature cinematography where just announced

looks Like Deakins has 2 nomination AGAIN this year, but he shares it with Chris menges

Dark knight-Wally phister

revolutionary road- roger deakins

The Reader -Roger deakins/Chris menges

Slum dog millionaire-Anthony dodd mantle

Curious case of benjamin button- Claudio Miranda

Im really looking forward to seeing revolutionary road,but my favorite so far this year is still Wally Phisters work in the dark knight

I haven't seen the film but I must say that I'm not sure whether Deakins' or Menges' work on The reader should be up for nomination.

Deakins did the first 5 weeks and then the rest was Menges.

Edited by Serge Teulon

I haven't seen the film but I must say that I'm not sure whether Deakins' or Menges' work on The reader should be up for nomination.

Deakins did the first 5 weeks and then the rest was Menges.

I agree,at least from watching the Trailer.

it doesnt look like there best work, Id prefer if Milk or Blindness was in its place...oh well

I saw The Reader and thought it was wonderfully shot. Great textures in the lighting that felt in touch with the arch of all the emotions (i.e.: scene in the church?...and also during the Fiennes modern day scenes?), with deliberate but subtle camerawork. All around very elegant.

The Dark Knight

Revolutionary Road

Slumdog Millionaire

The Reader

Wall-E

The Duchess

Rachel Getting Married

Let The Right One In

The Fall

Hunger

and maybe Defiance all were some of my favorite work of the year.

Edited by Richard Vialet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Noms are in:

Changeling (2008): Tom Stern

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Claudio Miranda

The Dark Knight (2008): Wally Pfister

The Reader (2008): Roger Deakins, Chris Menges

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Anthony Dod Mantle

Only seen Slumdog, Changeling and Dark Knight. Really looking forward to Benjamin Button and rooting for Miranda a bit.

• Premium Member
Noms are in:

Changeling (2008): Tom Stern

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Claudio Miranda

The Dark Knight (2008): Wally Pfister

The Reader (2008): Roger Deakins, Chris Menges

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Anthony Dod Mantle

Only seen Slumdog, Changeling and Dark Knight. Really looking forward to Benjamin Button and rooting for Miranda a bit.

A mostly HD project winning Best Cinematography would certainly scrap Kodak's mantra of every winning film since the dawn of mankind has been shot on film...

I have to say, it's kinda disappointing a film like The Fall or Revolutionary Road werent picked. But all deserving nonetheless.