Hey guys,

I'm just curious to know what everyone thinks of the various ways to break into film making. Whether the best way would be to go through a film school and work your way from the ground up, or whether the technology and free information available out there at the moment sort of renders that side of it a bit of a waste?

Basically, I'm interested in becoming either a cinematographer or a director (I know they're rather different roles) and want to know whether I should just invest in a few thousand dollars worth of camera, sound and lighting equipment and see if I'm any good.

Anyway, what does everyone think in terms of the best way to break into films?

James

I study and run my own independent business, the perks are good with both, the school is right next to Fox Studios and we get to work there A LOT, which is good, because to work in a studio, its not what you know, it's who you know (to a degree), we also get a good chance of getting work with surrounding studios as soon as we finish compared to someone trying to break into the business from else were than a school, just because we have made the connection with help from the school and the studio know who we are and how we work. I also like having my business, keeps me busy on the weekend and I learn the aspect you miss most at school, working directly with clients, sure the studio sort of counts as a client, but they don't pay you, so there is a difference, and the money is also a good bonus.

I am not sure what country you are in, so this can vastly change from country to country, either way, I say buy yourself a low-level DSLR or video camera, get shooting and experience what you can.

Good Luck,

Liam

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm just curious to know what everyone thinks of the various ways to break into film making. Whether the best way would be to go through a film school and work your way from the ground up, or whether the technology and free information available out there at the moment sort of renders that side of it a bit of a waste?

Basically, I'm interested in becoming either a cinematographer or a director (I know they're rather different roles) and want to know whether I should just invest in a few thousand dollars worth of camera, sound and lighting equipment and see if I'm any good.

Anyway, what does everyone think in terms of the best way to break into films?

James

Well for one thing, investing in expensive equipment to then see if you are any good is definitely not the way to go.

I'm in the same boat you are right now, wanting to get into filmmaking, and what I've relied on the most is to just be a sponge for everything related to filmmaking. If you can afford to go to a film school (especially the well known ones), that's great and I would do it if I could afford to, but don't go that route just for the education, do it for the education and the networking opportunities. (Also access to good equipment)

It's one thing to research and read about film, but the actual experience of working on one is another thing entirely. Basically just get experience, any way you can. You may actually find you want to be something other than a director or a cinematographer.

• 1 month later...

I learned at a film school. It worked for me as I prefer to get physically involved rather than learn in a classroom.

That's just me. I was crap in school as I get bored very quickly and need to be doing stuff to get me motivated.

If you prefer to so to university to learn film making good for you and I hope it works out for you. But it's not my thing, personally.

There are many purists who reckon that only after you have completed a 4 year university course are you qualified to work in film.

You don't, but you do need to be in an environment where you're getting trained. Quite a few people enter after doing an un-film/TV/media related university course as well. On one shoot I was on a few years ago the camera trainee had a MBA.

You don't, but you do need to be in an environment where you're getting trained. Quite a few people enter after doing an un-film/TV/media related university course as well. On one shoot I was on a few years ago the camera trainee had a MBA.

But was he necessarily better than any other camera trainees you've worked with?

Maybe they needed a major change of direction in their life.

Why is that may I ask?

Film sucks you in. The large paychecks are an irresistible dangling carrot. The atmosphere is fascinating. But, the downside of not working all the time, looking for work, the long hours, the fierce competition can be overwhelming. It's hard to quit.

Work hard, show whoever that you know your stuff, that you can take getting yelled at, that you know the talents' boundaries and respect that. It'll take you to where you want to go.

The problem is that many kids today have no idea about working hard, and the first time they get yelled out they are off in tears to their mamma.

Not blowing my own trumpet or anything, but I could never understand people not putting in 100% on any given task. I suppose that's the competitive part of me. I was always task orientated, had to get the job done even if it meant staying behind for half an hour.

Film sucks you in. The large paychecks are an irresistible dangling carrot. The atmosphere is fascinating. But, the downside of not working all the time, looking for work, the long hours, the fierce competition can be overwhelming. It's hard to quit.

Isn't that one of the reasons why folks love this industry?

You only have to be near a film set and the atmosphere is electric. You cannot beat that buzz.

You only have to be near a film set and the atmosphere is electric. You cannot beat that buzz.

Especially when there is a crowd and you're a camera operator. Everyone thinks you are the cameraman. One time downtown LA I was perched on a crane for a Prince Video. I thought I was Superman.