kodak not doing well today

dan kessler

• Premium Member

I don't understand why they would be failing, since they've gone digital like everyone else. Granted they're still cranking out 35mm stock, but surely they knew that days of chemical film were numbered, and would have moved with the industry.

I'm kind of at a loss for this.

Who knows more about it?

The current chief executive, Antonio M. Perez, has tried to reinvigorate Kodak by focusing on inkjet printers, commercial printing and the firm’s vast portfolio of patents, which the company has licensed and is trying to sell.

Mr. Perez’s strategy has caused the company to burn through cash, and Shannon Cross, an analyst with Cross Research, said it was only a matter of time before the cash ran out.

“I’ve had a sell on the stock for almost 10 years figuring this day would come if they weren’t able to make significant changes in their cash burn,” she said in an interview on Friday. “We took the price target down to a dollar. We were anticipating that the equity was virtually worthless.”

NY Times Article

Edited by Freya Black

These financial articles never seem to mention

Kodak's motion picture operation, which,

according to some here, has always been

profitable. Like everyone, I wonder where

those pieces of the company will end up

if there is a bankruptcy.

These financial articles never seem to mention

Kodak's motion picture operation, which,

according to some here, has always been

profitable. Like everyone, I wonder where

those pieces of the company will end up

if there is a bankruptcy.

If there is a bankruptcy I would expect that the company would apply for Chapter 11 protection and be restructured. I wouldn't neccesarily expect they would sell off their photographic division.

love

Freya

Another quote:

"As recently as July, Mr. Perez predicted that Kodak would be a profitable and sustainable digital company by 2012. But the surprise announcement last week that Kodak had tapped its credit line for $160 million shook investor confidence in Mr. Perez’s turnaround effort."

My feeling is that Mr Perez is just out to stretch things out as long as he can and keep getting paid. Hence the idea of selling off the patents which seems a bit like selling off the family silver to me!

I think the company needs new leadership. It needs more people like John Pythak and less people like Mr Perez. Kodak is the only company I've ever encountered that has actually refused to sell me products. That's on top of them never returning phone calls and all the other stuff they do.

It's very easy to blame things on the March of technology but hey Fuji seems to be doing just fine!

The company needs to be more customer focused and engaged.

I won't go on but my feelings about Kodak are quite negative, which is VERY surprising. I really hope this becomes an opportunity for change at Kodak and a new future! :) I really want to see them make a comeback.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I know! It's completely shocking! I mean trying to do what everybody else is doing is always a fantastic business model!

love

Freya

Unless you have something really amazing that everyone else wants, then yeah, you better go with the flow, or else you'll sink like a stone.

I just can't imagine why Kodak would be failing in the first place.

*EDIT*

Unless it's because the consumer isn't buying consumer film anymore. Cell phone cameras are probably eating into them a bit, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't've seen it coming.

Unless you have something really amazing that everyone else wants,

Well yes! That's what I would suggest would be a good business model, to at least have some kind of unique selling point at the core of what you do. (For instance their patents are something that Kodak has that no-one else does) Otherwise someone else is going to do it cheaper/better.

It's especially bad for Kodak as traditionally they were not just another "also ran", so they are already set up to provide the "something amazing that everyone wants".

love

Freya

May be because in the motion picture area Fuji have outdone them in a great range of stocks ?

Thats only the beginning I suspect! It seems to me that Fuji are outdoing them across the board!! Fuji have a clear strategy, seem to be really interested in their customers and engaging with them and are pro-actively developing their market whereas Kodak seem to be desperately trying to react.

love

Freya

*EDIT*

Unless it's because the consumer isn't buying consumer film anymore. Cell phone cameras are probably eating into them a bit, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't've seen it coming.

You are spot on of course, and they did see it coming as they have been having severe problems for a long time now but they don't have a decent strategy to resolve this. The best they have managed so far is to try and spin the branding into digital consumables. It's an interesting idea but too little too late. Kodak needs radical change across the board. At the moment they are just reacting to the situation. They need to be pro-active.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Thats only the beginning I suspect! It seems to me that Fuji are outdoing them across the board!! Fuji have a clear strategy, seem to be really interested in their customers and engaging with them and are pro-actively developing their market whereas Kodak seem to be desperately trying to react.

love

Freya

I hope this doesn't sound snobbish or anything, but I've always like Fuji film over Kodak. To me it's just always been more vibrant. Whether I was shooting stills or working on a commercial or a feature, it just seems like the luminosity that Fuji provided gave you more bang for your buck, especially in post. I mean you could (can) always tone down colors and alter them when you have lots of color to work with. Pumping up luminosity from Kodak stock, on the other hand, to me at least, always seemed like a chore, or otherwise problematic.

I won't say I'm sorry nor glad Kodak is going under, but the local processing lab that used to be here locally by Stanford University and Hewlitt Packard lost several of my reels (super 8 and 16mm). Stuff I'd shot around the Bay Area, along the coast, a tractor pull down at SLO during their annual Poly Royale open house, a bunch of time lapse and slow mo shots of clouds and ocean ... if Kodak goes the way of the dino, then so be it.

• Premium Member

Hi George:

But what does anything of that have to do with Kodak? Were they in on it?

They were directly responsible. It was an actual Eastman Kodak lab run by the company itself. They lost my footage. I'll never forgive them for it.

• Premium Member

LaserPacific?

The place was off of Page Mill Road, 3100 Porter Drive. It closed many years ago (how and why I don't know), but it was situated near The Wall Street Journal local publisher, some bio-tech firm, and a number of other companies just south of Stanford University. It used to have a huge "Eastman Kodak" yellow and red sign on the lawn.

*EDIT*

It was the actual Eastman Kodak HQ and lab for the Bay Area.

Chris: Try even getting a slide show done in 2011. . .

BTW, since the show is shot on Eastman, I'm sure there was some sort of huge stock discount on that one. I've noticed the Kodak logo plastered all over that show, not as much as "Talladega Nights" but you can bet their ad department is involved whenever "Kodak film" comes up in a television show or movie.

It's interesting to see ads very directly targeted at other filmmakers in the movies.