The new Canon

Vincent Sweeney

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

"CEO Fujio Mitarai unveiled the product on the Paramount Pictures movie lot Thursday, saying its digital images had the warmth of film and brought out skin tones well."

Quick! Quick! I've got to have one! Now!

Where can I buy one!

Hello? Hello?!

Clack-clack-clack....Operator?

I'm not sure why 3rd party mfg would be any more excited about this than any of the other new s35 cams on the market (exception being Alexa or F65) - none of the new s35 chip cams have any thought of operability - jam as much in as small a package as possible and let the end user figure it out. wait no, call it "modular" and charge more for all the freedom! F3, Af100, RED, this - all suck for ergonomics. The REAL killer would be an XDCAM body with the F3 chip, but until that happens its nice to have so many compact and uncomfortable options. Including this new one.

As for price, who knows, itll likely be less than 16, probably 10 or less - all rumors right now. The camera in the bg looks like a 1d body, which would make sense - the new 1dx is an EF video body - perhaps they decided to give it the red "c" now, much like sony badging "cinealta" on their 24p cams.

I agree with Adrian though - the lenses look very interesting. Very usable range on the 14.5-60, nice stop - could be a killer lens. Canon HD video optics (HDXS / KLL) have superb focus feel, hope that translates to these lenses.

Edited by Jaron Berman

• Premium Member

I think the F-3 is a more direct competition, as is the AF101 and the FS100. Lets face it, with RED you're going for the RAW worklow, as these cams don't really offer RAW, S-Log notwithstanding, they are designed for shoots where RED doesn't work as well or isn't needed (such as documentary, or when you need a faster turn 'round than working in RAW ect.)

$20k MSRP price?? A little more than steep when you consider the F3 with its better form factor and likely close matching image for a ton less.

Yeah I was even more shocked when it turned out to be 20. I can't see this is as justifiable, the F3 seems far more practical than this, but it's hard to decide without seeing images yet.

I also agree with Adrian, I imagine TV would be another format where high resolution and raw is significantly less necessary.

Scarlet announcement should be anytime now. Also John what's supposed to be on November 4?

• Premium Member

I thought the Canon stuff was on the 4th after getting an invite to their announcement for either the 4th or 5th. Maybe there's more? I don't feel like it's worth the traffic trouble though. The DSLR in the pic is bound to be a better video version of what they make now... so who is going to buy the big one for $10k+ more since a lot of people (ignorantly) think the 5/7D is already the best thing since sliced bread?

I thought the Canon stuff was on the 4th after getting an invite to their announcement for either the 4th or 5th. Maybe there's more? I don't feel like it's worth the traffic trouble though. The DSLR in the pic is bound to be a better video version of what they make now... so who is going to buy the big one for $10k+ more since a lot of people (ignorantly) think the 5/7D is already the best thing since sliced bread?

Yeah too true, most people are already settling for the 5D/7Ds ridiculous h.264 format at such a poor data rate.

Red is completely down, too much traffic I guess.

To crosspost from CML, the Scarlet data is as follows:

SCARLET is:

5K still, 4K motion camera

5K - up to 12fps, 6fps HDRX

4K - 4096 x 2160 - from 1 - 25fps, HDRx - 12fps

4K QuadHD - up to 30fps

3K - to 48fps

2K - to 60fps

1K - to 120fps

Configuration...

BRAIN + Side SSD + Canon Aluminum mount - shipping Dec. 1.

BRAIN + Side SSD + Titanium PL Mount - shipping Nov. 17.

SCARLET - same form factor as EPIC with a very few changes:

Grey instead of Black

No Ribs - smooth

Every accessory for EPIC works for SCARLET.

It is the same sensor as in EPIC.

PRICE - US$ 9,750 - for brain, side SSD + Canon Aluminum Mount.

• Premium Member

My only opinion with regard to these constant comparisons with what Red are doing is that the Canon device is, at least, made by people who won't scream at you in a fit of pique on the internet then ban you from the support forum if you happen to, say, walk past the office and cough in an offensive manner.

My confidence in Canon as a manufacturer is immeasurably higher.

I am surprised I'm even saying this, but Scarlet undoubtedly blows the Canon announcement out of the water. Canon would have only been impressive at DSLR price point.

I think Canon have surprised everyone for the wrong reasons. The C300 would be the DeLorean of the HD camera world.

If it wasnt for the Scarlet coming with an EF mount as standard you could suppose 5D/7D users would migrate, but it seems the only thing that would make that happen now is Scarlet back-orders and RED-hate.

Mind you, it's footage isn't without merit:

Mine would be too if it wasn't for the snails-pace at which Canon came to the video world. Putting a 5D sensor into an XL body (over simplifying of course) shouldve been a no-brainer 2 years ago.

My only opinion with regard to these constant comparisons with what Red are doing is that the Canon device is, at least, made by people who won't scream at you in a fit of pique on the internet then ban you from the support forum if you happen to, say, walk past the office and cough in an offensive manner.

That support forum is a whole other animal, I only went round to it for the announcement and I'm not all that keen on going back.

Mine would be too if it wasn't for the snails-pace at which Canon came to the video world. Putting a 5D sensor into an XL body (over simplifying of course) shouldve been a no-brainer 2 years ago.

No point in putting a 5d sensor into a XL body, the sensor was one of the problems with that camera for shooting video.

The C300 doesn't seem to have created many waves, the Scarlet and the cheap hand cranked camera seem to have done that. It'll need to produce more impressive images than the F3 to make an impact, but the main problem is the price at $20K, although the street price will actually be lower I imagine.