Stock footage for music vid

Mike Tay

Hey guys, as well as a budding shooter Im also a musician and about to release some music. I want a simple music video and have been playing the track along to some youtube vids of animals running in slo-mo (such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAnRURDEyGY). Its just works SO well... but its footage I could NEVER afford if its even available for sale.

I just wonder in this age of digital mish mash of distribution, what would happen if I were to cut together a few segments from such videos and play my song over them and use that as a faux music vid?

I understand that this would definitely not be allowed if the video were to be broadcast on say MTV (which it totally wont anyway!), but for the purposes of youtube, facebook etc what are the possibilities of this being ok? Could I get sued?? How it really any different from a fan posting up a bunch of "my favourite animals" videos?

Finally, is there any way to get around licensing issues by "effecting" the video - black and white and in reverse, for example..

cheers!

It's not worth investing much time and effort in material you don't own or license, except for practice. You're not very likely to be sued but the copyright owner can easily have it removed. Transforming it doesn't make any difference.

Much better to shoot your own stuff.

Finally, is there any way to get around licensing issues by "effecting" the video - black and white and in reverse, for example..

cheers!

erm, no. That would be a derivative work.

The title asks about stock footage but the question doesn't appear to be about stock footage at all.

Why not just buy similar footage from a stock footage house?

Freya

• Premium Member

I'd suggest that you shoot some landscape and other suitable nature footage by yourself and get the slow motion animal shots from a stock footage bank, for example Shutterstock or istockphoto. there may also be some free stock footage available on other sites.

If the purchased footage is not so many shots it will not cost huge amount of money. And making a video containing exclusively stock footage is usually against the licensing of the stock footage retailers so you'll need to add some of your own material anyways

I just did a quick check at Creative Commons and they have royalty-free video of a cheetah running. I didn't look at it, but the thumbnail looked nice. You do have to attribute the clip though.

Here's the link:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&profile=advanced&search=cheetah+slow+motion&fulltext=Search&ns0=1&ns6=1&ns14=1&profile=advanced&uselang=en

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, as well as a budding shooter Im also a musician and about to release some music. I want a simple music video and have been playing the track along to some youtube vids of animals running in slo-mo (such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAnRURDEyGY). Its just works SO well... but its footage I could NEVER afford if its even available for sale.

I just wonder in this age of digital mish mash of distribution, what would happen if I were to cut together a few segments from such videos and play my song over them and use that as a faux music vid?

I understand that this would definitely not be allowed if the video were to be broadcast on say MTV (which it totally wont anyway!), but for the purposes of youtube, facebook etc what are the possibilities of this being ok? Could I get sued?? How it really any different from a fan posting up a bunch of "my favourite animals" videos?

cheers!

Mike, a company called Earth Touch from my country shot that. I remember seeing a section on their website where they sell stock footage of clips that they do not end up using on BBC/Discovery channel edits, maybe contact them and ask if they have any that they will allow you to use. Good luck!