New UltraPan8 2.8 film "mayday!"

Nicholas Kovats

Presenting my Bolex UltraPan8 film of last year's 4th annual Mayday bicycle charity race for the Bicycle Messenger Emergency Fund found at bicyclemessenger.org. This year's Mayday 2014 race and events can be found here, i.e. https://www.facebook.com/events/649322915104108/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

metadata:

camera = Bolex UltraPan8 2.8

camera_re-manufacturing = Jean-Louis Seguin bolextech@gmail.com

lens = 5.9mm Angenieux retrofocus

exposure = T11-T22

frame_rate = 48

film = Kodak Vision3 color negative 200T

film_re-manufacturing = Edward Nowill edwardnowill@gmail.com

lab = Niagara Custom

scan = John Gledhill bitworks.org

Edited by Nicholas Kovats
  • Upvote 2

Thank you, Jeremy. It continues to be a labour of love. More to come.

I have to confess I've looked at Ultrapan8 as a play thing, to produce pretty pictures, thoughtful and artistic maybe but not narrative.

This completely changed my perception.

Gorgeous.

Thanks.

Thanks, Josh. I keep fantasizing the same thing. Can you try downloading the original .mp4 file and let me know how it compares on your 4K TV? Right hand click in Windows on the Original link below and save as.

Download mayday!

472225443_100x75.jpg

Just watched it on a 4k tv and it really looks great! I just wish vimeo would do higher bitrates

Let me first say it does look great. At a reasonable sitting distance, all of the issues I'm about to list are much less noticeable. However, looking at it up close, say 2-3 feet away, the compression is noticeably blocky and really very unforgiving with the grain. There are sections where the encoded grain in the image seems to almost 'dance' or 'breathe' as opposed to being randomly organic every frame. And the reds in people's skin tones, the blacks in the tires, and just all the details in general get blotched all together in little squareish blobs. And it's a shame because you can tell that the detail really is there on the film, it just gets killed in the compression.

Now again, sitting 6 or 7 feet away from the tv, these things are much less noticeable. At this viewing distance and screen size (it's a 39" display), while it's not as sharp as something projected on film, it is very passable, and you really only notice the encoding blobs if you're looking for them.

Was this the original file you got from bitworks?

Josh,

The 100 ft scanned roll generated a 12.3 GB JPEG image sequence consisting of 7,849 scanned frames that were 2532 x 780 x 24 bit depth each. This was imported into my NLE, edited, cropped then transcoded to a smaller MP4.

• 3 weeks later...

Phil,

It is as you call it a "between-the-sprockets image". It utilizes the full 16mm width of Regular 8 perfed film and the classic 8 mm pulldown...half the frame height of a standard 16mm frame. Optically centered and double the run time per 100 ft roll of R8 (5 min as opposed to 2.5 min). It shoots the optical center of any standard 16mm optic.

The example above is reperfed V3 200T color negative.