Against The Wild II: Launch Day!

Really? That comes as a total shocker.

R,

heh heh! It's actually new and like I say, some of it might be talk from what I have seen so far.

It worked in terms of getting shot of me as obviously I'm not BAME but probably do hit the BFI list on lots of other factors!

Oh well, it's not my custom to go where I'm not welcome.

Hmmmm, I might in fact just now be looking for a British co-producer who just happens to be a woman Freya!

R,

Something I'm wondering myself, what are some legitimately entertaining features that never went on to get that sought after DVD/theatrical distribution deal? Multiple people here have talked about how it's better off saying that goal is statistically impossible. Could that just be that having legitimate talent combined with work ethic alone is statistically impossible with most human beings?

I have no opinion on anyone here specifically, but in my line of work that deals with a lot of online content creators, I've maybe encountered the work ethic and vision of a Woody Allen/Kanye West/Michael Jordan once in 3 years.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

Hmmmm, I might in fact just now be looking for a British co-producer who just happens to be a woman Freya!

R,

Freya is female? I have been here for a decade and thought Freya was a male. The name seemed different but I thought it was just a British thing. :D

• Premium Member

Something I'm wondering myself, what are some legitimately entertaining features that never went on to get that sought after DVD/theatrical distribution deal? Multiple people here have talked about how it's better off saying that goal is statistically impossible. Could that just be that having legitimate talent combined with work ethic alone is statistically impossible with most human beings?

I have no opinion on anyone here specifically, but in my line of work that deals with a lot of online content creators, I've maybe encountered the work ethic and vision of a Woody Allen/Kanye West/Michael Jordan once in 3 years.

No doubt there are very few people with work ethic in the general population relative to the small number with it. But that still doesnt account for features that arent picked up. The very process of even making a feature shows you have a significant work ethic and commitment. It has taken me years to get my personal and financial affairs in order to even have a shot of doing it and I havent finished it yet. Hopefully, a couple months from now I can at least say that photography is over. But the process alone shows a certain mettle, I would say. Shorts can be made all day, any day but a feature...it is a beast.

No doubt there are very few people with work ethic in the general population relative to the small number with it. But that still doesnt account for features that arent picked up. The very process of even making a feature shows you have a significant work ethic and commitment. It has taken me years to get my personal and financial affairs in order to even have a shot of doing it and I havent finished it yet. Hopefully, a couple months from now I can at least say that photography is over. But the process alone shows a certain mettle, I would say. Shorts can be made all day, any day but a feature...it is a beast.

Well I will say Matthew, you have come across as being rather critical of my work in this thread, and suspicious of how I got these movies made and clearly made the implication that I don't deserve it.

And yet you now say...."The very process of even making a feature shows you have a significant work ethic and commitment," & "It has taken me years to get my personal and financial affairs in order to even have a shot of doing it," & "But the process alone shows a certain mettle," & "Shorts can be made all day, any day but a feature...it is a beast."

This really comes across as all being valid when it applies to you, but not to well....me.

R,

In other news, Just finished watching Against the Wild II. Got the DVD in the mail this morning from Amazon. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll say I like the way both films tie in, and you have once again netted A+ performance from the kids --- something that I know first hand is a pretty hard thing to do. It could just be that I have some secret love for family-type movies, but so far I just want to congratulate you again on another fine piece of filmmaking.

PS) What camera system was it shot on? Very filmic.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

Richard, whom I respect immensely, has been quite vague about his rise to success as long as I can recall.

He sat with me a few weeks ago for four or five hours at a restaurant and explained to me point by point how he achieved all that he has. It was one of the most unique conversations I've ever had with another filmmaker. But, four or five hours of conversation didn't even cover all of it.

In other news, Just finished watching Against the Wild II. Got the DVD in the mail this morning from Amazon. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll say I like the way both films tie in, and you have once again netted A+ performance from the kids --- something that I know first hand is a pretty hard thing to do. It could just be that I have some secret love for family-type movies, but so far I just want to congratulate you again on another fine piece of filmmaking.

PS) What camera system was it shot on? Very filmic.

Thank-you Landon for your financial support! You Americans have very fast delivery on everything it seems.

That was shot entirely on the Alexa. Colour correction by Colin Moore at Technicolor Toronto.

Thanks

R,

He sat with me a few weeks ago for four or five hours at a restaurant and explained to me point by point how he achieved all that he has. It was one of the most unique conversations I've ever had with another filmmaker. But, four or five hours of conversation didn't even cover all of it.

Thanks for picking up the tab Bro!

R,

You Americans have very fast delivery on everything it seems.

Amazon Prime free 2-day is my friend. I make sure I get my $99 a years worth. Heck here in Cincinnati we even have free 2-hour delivery from Amazon on some items. It's wicked awesome, especially if you're lazy and impatient like me.

• Premium Member

Well I will say Matthew, you have come across as being rather critical of my work in this thread, and suspicious of how I got these movies made and clearly made the implication that I don't deserve it.

And yet you now say...."The very process of even making a feature shows you have a significant work ethic and commitment," & "It has taken me years to get my personal and financial affairs in order to even have a shot of doing it," & "But the process alone shows a certain mettle," & "Shorts can be made all day, any day but a feature...it is a beast."

This really comes across as all being valid when it applies to you, but not to well....me.

R,

Oh Richard. I have tipped my hat to you and given you congrats for at least 9 years now. I never said you were not a hard worker or deserving. But there are others who are also and still dont get where you are. So that factor alone isnt the only one. I am sorry if I came across like I think you are a hack. That was not my intention. The issue with Dark Reprieve is nothing new. I expressed this to you after I saw it years ago and you mentioned it wasnt your script. In light of your more recent work, it is obvious that it wasnt your script.

I was NEVER critical of Against the Wild. I watched it proudly with my family several times after purchasing it and I commented to them about how you fill a void that is needed in film these days by having an interesting and live action film that can be enjoyed with the whole family. Often times, live action, interesting, and family friendly turns into a "choose two" scenario.

• Premium Member

Before you think I am too critical, in a previous life I used to be an independent game designer and I had a few games get Greenlighted on Steam. The criticism there is the worst of anything you can imagine. I had everything from "only a retarded 8 year old would create that" to "art direction looks like phallic imagery."

Amazon Prime free 2-day is my friend. I make sure I get my $99 a years worth. Heck here in Cincinnati we even have free 2-hour delivery from Amazon on some items. It's wicked awesome, especially if you're lazy and impatient like me.

BTW Landon, that review on Amazon and IMDB, isn't going to write itself. :)

R,

Just as a side note here re: distribution: Some people, including me, say that the odds of hitting it big are like 'winning the lottery'... That is not really true. Lottery odds are 1 in 14 million. However, the absolute odds for film would be a lot better. For example, by some accounts there are 3,000 'films' produced each year. If you rule out half for having no chance at all (not aiming for distribution, art-house type stuff, etc), that leaves you with roughly 1,500 films that could possible even be considered for distribution. Out of those, roughly 200 receive some sort of theatrical run. So you're TRUE odds of getting a theatrical runs are about 1 in 8. Of course those numbers are misleading because it doesn't take into account that some of those are studio films, and some have better odds inherently because they more sale-ability (star power, etc.).

The point is, getting a distribution deal, even a GOOD one is not lottery-level odds.... Still not very likely, but far from 1 in 14 million.

Your odds of getting distribution with out taking into account making your money back are even better: 1 in 1.

BTW Landon, that review on Amazon and IMDB, isn't going to write itself. :)

R,

My Quick Quotes Quill says differently, Richard... ;)

Working on the reviews this weekend :)

• Premium Member

The point is, getting a distribution deal, even a GOOD one is not lottery-level odds.... Still not very likely, but far from 1 in 14 million.

I wont argue with that. But you have to admit, the cost and time of buying a Lotto ticket cannot even come close to making a feature film. Odds may improve but you are essentially "all-in" to make a film.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to get financing right now is to come up with a killer crowd-funding campaign and use a good platform (not Kickstarter or Indiegogo). We are planning to use Seed & Spark to raise the remaining budget for our major project releasing in late 2017/ early 2018. They have a roughly 80% campaign success rate, much better than the 40% rate for Kickstarter. Of course, you'll need a REALLY good pitch. I don't just mean a nice video, but if you look at the successful campaigns they are all very slick and well thought out.

Because of that, 100% of the budget will be crowd-sourced, and as such there is nothing to really 'pay back' - so every penny is profit.

That, in my opinion, is your best option for making your first project - be it a web series or feature film. That way you don't have your own money on the line, nor the money of producers.

Of course, you're not going to raise a large amount of money this way - but you can raise $10-$15k, and many features have been made for less than that.

In our case it helps that we will likely have distribution in place prior to entering principle photography - but it can be done with any project that can be managed well.

R,

Actually that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure how they would feel about the whole co-producer thing but I can't see how they could get out of it, especially as it's more people and not less people. I think you are right you have to get creative about these things.

Also they are big into match funding because they feel like they are getting more for their money that way...

...and while I'm talking about that, depending on how things turn out in a few weeks, it might be worth looking into what the EU have available too.

Freya

Freya is female? I have been here for a decade and thought Freya was a male. The name seemed different but I thought it was just a British thing. :D

I get this a lot of course (although maybe not put so bluntly ;) ) and I've been a bit coy about it in the past because when this forum started there were a few threads about how women shouldn't be involved in cinematography because the cameras were too heavy and a set had to be run like the army etc etc. (I'm sure there was even sillier and funnier stuff than that but I don't remember)

Anyway I didn't want to be involved! ;) I thought the name might be a bit of a give away but....

Myself, Annie and Rachael were the main female posters here for some years but slowly there does seem to be more occasional female posters which is a good sign.

However I also get this going on in writing too where people are surprised that I am writing in this field but there are quite a few female writers in this field. I've even noticed a regular writer on the huge "no-film school" website but apparently it's a thing to assume that writers are male. Even other women assume writers are male apparently which is a really bonkers situation.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• 2 weeks later...

So it's come to this...printing out behind the scenes pics so that my 12 year old can prove to the grade 7 boys at school that much of what they see in the movie is real. :)

R,