Won an AACTA award

Robin R Probyn

Robin, were you gonna rough me up fo looking on Youtube? I swear, I just looked at a promo. Hands in the air, hand to heart....There were a couple of episodes listed there, but not available down here....

Oh .. maybe some copy right thing.. ? googled here in Tokyo and a whole page full comes up..

Hey Robyn,

I got it, the penny dropped. I'm on record as pontificating about how modern documentary has lost the historic essence of the form. All these quasi famous folk yabbering to camera about how the thing feels to them, rather than the camera simply showing us how it looks or feels to the cameraman, with the monologue or VO adding layers of opinion or meaning.....

In my defence...I do sympathise with those that have to work within the modern form. But, what I saw of the show in the promo, was that observations by the cameraman, assembled by the editor and producer/dir, were dominating the presenter. So your show is not quite an example of what I am pointing to in my politicized speil.

Though your presenter has clearly been too influenced by the shadow of Gordon Ramsey, perhaps separated by one or two degrees, I will give him a pass, untill he walks around on camera karate chopping his palm for emphasis.

Please share these humorous insights with him...

Cheers,

Gregg.

PS: Plenty of great documentaries waiting to be made. They will stand out. And cameramen/cinamatographers are great candidates to make them. They are capable of direct observation. Simple direct empathy with human beings on the other side of the planet. The dominant paradigm is heading in another direction, not geographically, but emotionally, spiritually. It should be easy to stand out.

This chef is a really nice guy.. . he actually was a lawyer..and cooking enthusiast and found "fame" winning an early master chef show in Oz.. he doesn't have his own restaurant,or even chain of restaurants.. he's not a business man who can cook.. nor does he play the swearing bad boy ala Gordon .. he is just himself on camera.. and just has a real interest in food and cooking basically.. from the best restaurants to hawker stalls.. thats why he so popular.. a chef without a big ego.. a rare thing in Tv land..

We shoot nearly always only one camera..this series that won the award was one camera the whole way..for 6 weeks.. in Singapore we had two other F5,s and DP,s.. for one day, on a big shoot day with 30 or so "extras".. but that was only one day in a 6 week shoot.. and one go pro for a time lapse shot.. none of this cheesy side cam stuff.. and its 95% or more handheld.. its not really the pontificating celeb.. he's the chef thats all.. we go in and shoot.. its not massively rehearsed .. often not at all.. we had a week for reccee,s that helped..the people we shoot are not prepped .. it is fairly basic bare bones documentary style in the way its shot..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

I haven't seen the show yet, only the promo. Hopefully, though I may have forcefull opinions about the nature of modern documentary form, and what I wish film makers were trying to achieve (in contrast to that), my neck is safe from the sword for now.

I was sincere in enjoying your achievement. But I would not offer my neck willingly.

I haven't seen the show yet, only the promo. Hopefully, though I may have forcefull opinions about the nature of modern documentary form, and what I wish film makers were trying to achieve (in contrast to that), my neck is safe from the sword for now.

I was sincere in enjoying your achievement. But I would not offer my neck willingly.

haha! .. yes never offer the neck willingly sir