Truck or SUV

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle to accomodate equipment. I thought of maybe a pickup or a van, but camera gear isn't that bulky, and requires a dry environment.

For an indy camera dude, what's a good vehicle? Truck with a camp shell, SUV, van?

• Premium Member

Phil ... now that's a man's truck​, but I'm afraid the people at the local Walgreens and Safeway won't appreciate your recommendation very much.

A couple years back I gripped for a guy who packed a gib crane into one of those things. Hell of a time yanking it and putting it back in.

• Premium Member

Thanks Giray. I was thinking of something like an old Toyota, but the Tacoma or Tahoe look like just the thing. I don't want a real big truck, and honestly I don't want an SUV. I was wondering what everyone else around here drove to haul gear in.

Thanks again.

• Premium Member

I have a 95 F150 short bed with a camper and I really like it. It fits so much stuff really well and is pretty damned dependable (current issue notwithstanding, but with 180K on the clock i'm not super surprised it's acting up a little bit at present).

Something like a Subaru Outback is also a good choice.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Re-animating this old thread because I recently had to retire my old 2001 Honda CRV after 204k miles. I'm a big fan of small AWD SUVs for production work, especially if you need to find regular parking in a dense city like San Francisco. They are typically shorter and narrower than a 4 door sedan and also tall enough to pack large Pelican cases vertically. That's pretty much been the only way I've been able to fit a sizeable camera package plus a cart into my vehicle when needed.

Ended up getting a new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, which should save a lot on gas, is roughly the same size as the old car, and actually has modern amenities like working airbags... The only thing wrong with it is that the rear seats don't fold down flat, so there's significantly less cargo room. Luckily, I pretty much never have to haul a Magliner cart around anymore, so it's a not a deal-breaker for me. If I was still AC'ing, I would look into alternatives like the CRV, Subaru Forester, or Ford Escape. I also don't like that all the newer vehicles stow the spare tire under the cargo area (which means you have to fully unload to change a tire on the side of the freeway!), but I've not seen any alternatives.

• Premium Member

My old roommate who is a sound mixer has a Transit. It was convenient to be able to load in two fully built carts side by side when we happened to be on the same job. You need ramps for sure. The vehicle may be too tall for some small parking garages, but the short length is nice.

A full size Sprinter Van is a pretty big commitment, don't think I would recommend that unless you've got a safe place to park it at night.