89th Academy Award for Best Cinematography

• Premium Member

So two shot on 35mm film with anamorphic lenses (but one of those using Alexa for night work), and three shot on Alexa. "Arrival" was spherical and "Moonlight" was anamorphic, I don't know what lenses were used on "Lion". All of them were 2.40 movies.

• Upvote 1

No luck for Café Society. I never actually thought it would be nominated, but I think I first someone mention it somewhere, and then I saw the ad in American Cinematographer. But no, I was almost sure it wouldn’t be on the list.

With a 90 %, reliability I think this will go to La La Land.

• Premium Member

So disappointed in the nominations this year. Some movies simply don't belong on any of those lists and others like 'Jackie' have been snuffed.

'Hell or Highwater' gets a best picture and best screenplay nod? Are you kidding me?

For cinematography, I'm stoked Bradford Young got recognized. The rest were shoe-in's, but I was concerned Bradford would be on the sidelines. Sadly, I don't think he'll win. :(

La La Land is going to clean up. They'll sweep everything they're nominated for, which is pretty much everything. The other movie that was snuffed at the Golden Globes was Kubo. BY FAR the best Animation film in 2016, arguably the best animation film made in years.

:sigh:

• Upvote 1

Man, I haven't seen any of these. Haven't even seen La La Land which has 2 of my favorite actors.

Also it feels like just yesterday since the 82nd awards where Hurt Locker won out of nowhere. 89, Christ.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

It should be noted that Bradford Young is the first african-american cinematographer nominated for an Oscar.

My wife worked on La La Land and loved the crew on the film. Linus worked with Panavision to get a classic Hollywood musical look with the lenses and camera system and it definitely paid off. Ari Robbins should get some praise for his excellent operating work on the film; check out his Instagram for some awesome footage. Fun fact: they had three champagne rolls!

In my personal opinion, the cinematography of Zootopia was phenomenal, but of course animated films rarely get the attention they deserve for this aspect.

Final person opinion: Bradford should win. Arrival looked BRILLIANT.

So two shot on 35mm film with anamorphic lenses (but one of those using Alexa for night work), and three shot on Alexa. "Arrival" was spherical and "Moonlight" was anamorphic, I don't know what lenses were used on "Lion". All of them were 2.40 movies.

Greig Fraser says in this interview that they used Panavision PVintage Primes:

Filmmaker: For Lion’s lenses you went with Panavision PVintage primes, which are re-housed Ultra Speeds from the ’70s.

Fraser: Panavision had a lot of these cool old lenses that were not really up to today’s standards of markings and housings. Everybody now expects the same size front and markings on both sides, and [the Ultra Speeds] didn’t quite have that because they were built in a different era. I’ve been using the Ultra Speeds for a long time, ever since I was a young cinematographer. They were always at the bottom of the pile. Everyone wanted the new Panavision lenses — which at the time were the Primos — but I always loved these really old ones. So effectively the PVintage are those same Ultra Speed lenses, but they’ve been made more production friendly and more AC friendly. It’s a really lovely set with a nice feel to them.

Edited by Ravi Kiran

Funny.. all these Oscar nominated fantastic looking films shot on Alexa.. yet I have to shoot 17-9 4K under punishment of death.. for corp shoots shown on the web.. .. and for TV shows shown on probably 1% 4K TV,s... ????... I guess Arri don't have to make a true 4K camera after all.. ?

And not an F65 or RED in sight.. the film makers resolve not resolution seems to win..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

Funny.. all these Oscar nominated fantastic looking films shot on Alexa.. yet I have to shoot 17-9 4K under punishment of death.. for corp shoots shown on the web.. .. and for TV shows shown on probably 1% 4K TV,s... ????... I guess Arri don't have to make a true 4K camera after all.. ?

If Arri drops a true 4K does the Alexa go dirt cheap?

If Arri drops a true 4K does the Alexa go dirt cheap?

Well I guess not.. except for those feature DP,s shooting corp video,s :)... I think it shows clearly. that for theatrical release at least, you dont need 4K original let alone 6K or the nutty 8K thing.. maybe a totally Green Screen film would benefit .. But the Amira marketed as a doc/corp ENG style camera is probably in need of a 4K sensor model pretty quick.. I wouldn't buy one now.. and if i had in the past, I would be losing work the last couple of years.. they might get cheaper.. and still a very good camera of course..

Although as a way of selling more camera,s ..Im sure Arri will come out with a 4K camera any day now.. if they made TV,s too,they would have done way back.. :)

• Premium Member

And I bet NONE of those Alexa films were upresed to 4k for finishing. I bet they were all finished in 2k, which is a real shame.

It's funny because 4k is truly a buzz word, it really "means" nothing to most people. They either request "alexa" or they request a "4k camera", not fully understanding what any of that means.

• Upvote 1

Any cool NDA violating stories?

Nothing, actually. She said it was one of the best movies she's ever worked on, top to bottom. Everyone brought their "A game" the film and are deserving of all the praise.

• Upvote 1

And I bet NONE of those Alexa films were upresed to 4k for finishing. I bet they were all finished in 2k, which is a real shame.

It's funny because 4k is truly a buzz word, it really "means" nothing to most people. They either request "alexa" or they request a "4k camera", not fully understanding what any of that means.

Yes very true.. Alexa is a brand associated with high end production.. and well deserved too I guess.. Im sure many prod managers used to think C300 was some magic codec, to make their productions look good.. and it was that or nothing..

I thought most of the nominated films were absolutely subpar, compared to the great films of the past. 14 Academy nominations for 'La La Land' is absolutely ludicrous, I liked the movie, but it's not that good. The Academy has lost its credibility as a serious award ceremony, it has become nothing short of a circus. All the great films of the past ten years have been snubbed: There Will Be Blood, The Master, Mulholland Drive, Black Swan, and many more amazing films that have been overlooked. I thought Rogue One deserved a nomination, it was truly the best picture I saw all year long.

I find it insulting to cinema's past that a musical like 'La La Land' should garner more acclaim than a musical like 'Singin In the Rain' or 'Sound of Music'. The Oscars are a complete joke, stopped watching since last year.

Edited by joshua gallegos
  • Upvote 1

All the great films of the past ten years have been snubbed: There Will Be Blood, The Master, Mulholland Drive, Black Swan, and many more amazing films that have been overlooked.

There Will Be Blood won 2 Oscars. Titles like Nightcrawler or guys like Spike Lee are REAL Oscar snubs.

I thought Rogue One deserved a nomination, it was truly the best picture I saw all year long.

I haven't seen many movies this year but you have to be kidding me with Rogue One. Like the production itself is impressive but that isn't even close, from an artistic or entertainment perspective, to being the best picture of the year.

• Upvote 1

There Will Be Blood won 2 Oscars. Titles like Nightcrawler or guys like Spike Lee are REAL Oscar snubs.

I haven't seen many movies this year but you have to be kidding me with Rogue One. Like the production itself is impressive but that isn't even close, from an artistic or entertainment perspective, to being the best picture of the year.

Rogue One was an exciting film, and if Mad Max can get nominated for Best Picture, why not Rogue One? The Oscars are like the MTV awards, a pathetic attempt to reach younger audiences. Today's films are tailored for teenagers, there just isn't that great sophistication that used to make movies a serious art. For instance, when will we ever see the likes of another Carol Reed and a film like 'The Third Man'?

Not the Oscars, but here's an article on some of the more noted Sundance submissions. Heavy on ARRI, and as one gets to more nolo budget films, one sees Canon CXX and X-Ds... hey and one listing for a DVX100...

In any case... the article.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/sundance-2017-cameras-arri-canon-red-sony-1201770071/

• Premium Member

And 'There Will Be Blood' and 'The Master' are masterworks, they deserved a heck of a lot more. But then again they choose to shower a film like 'La La Land' with way more nominations than it deserved. Not a serious award anymore, it's not. They're sucking the prestige out of it.

'There will be blood' was snuffed by "no country for old men", which is a hard bargain. I love both movies, so it's hard to pick which one is better. I just feel the academy in that case, simply picks the filmmaker with the most previous nominations and goes with them for the "tie breaker" so to speak.

'The Master' is an art film, the academy would never give it best picture. It's too slow for American audiences and it's too politically charged. If it had magically done well in the box office, well maybe. But people don't go to see those kinds of movies because they're too dark. People go to the theater to see entertainment, most of which is stupid superhero fodder.

Remember, 'La La Land' breaks the mold because it's a story about Hollywood and it's a musical. These are two things that are death traps for movies today, yet the movie is a success.

The Oscars have always been an "entertainment" award, more then anything else.