Natural daylight beams of light - realism

Ed David

• Premium Member

Hi guys

Just saw Dayveon at the Berlinale film festival - gorgeous film by Dustin Lane. I am seeing how he made this super natural daylight beam hitting his bed?

I always try to make a beam, using a joker 800 or jo leko and it always feels kind of fake - is it just using some 1/4 or 1/2 cto on the light - and maybe it is a jo-leko?

thanks

• Premium Member

A little warmth helps.

If you want the sharp parallel rays of light, either you need to use a big light from farther away (could be anything if it is far enough) or a projected beam type unit like a leko or xenon. Trouble with those, particularly lekos, is that the beam is so narrow, it won't fill most windows. I've sometimes clustered a couple of lekos together to look like one sunlight beam that was broken up into a couple of parallel shafts.

• Premium Member

Nobody seems to make a really powerful collimated-beam spotlight of any kind.

There's no 2.5kW source four, for instance. Well, there's followspots, I guess. Sometimes those are 1200W; Super Troupers can be 2kW xenons, although xenon is quite a bit less efficient than HMI at actually motivating photons.

Edit: Strong (the company which makes the Super Trouper) also has the Gladiator, at 4kW. Cor blimey, guv'nor.

P

• Premium Member

The Molebeams are gorgeous, and the 1200w Dedo HMI is pretty brilliant too (the precision of the beam gives you a lot more bang for your buck).

Another really interesting option is the Dedo 1200w inserted into the parallel beam projector of the Cinereflect Lighting System.

• Premium Member

Thanks so much for these - double leko sounds cool or double joker. And a m18 sounds still the most versatile for a low-budget - putt-putt generator 2500w guy for lighting.

Thanks again guys

Ed

Has anyone here used any of the Luminys Softsun lights? Does it produce what it’s name seems to suggest – a kind of artificial version of diffused sunlight? :) Obviously then not something Ed wants, but just wondering.

Or perhaps I’m equating “soft” with “diffused”, and it’s not the same thing.

Edited by Alexandros Angelopoulos Apostolos

• Premium Member

The 100K SoftSun is about 10' x 3', which is what determines its softness, though I'm sure it doesn't fill its fixture evenly from corner to corner. If it were only 200W but the same dimensions, it would be the same degree of softness. But a 10' wide source would generally be considered soft, though usually a unit like this is far away to get a wider spread, so it's not that soft anymore. But I'm sure it would fill a 30' x 15' diffusion frame quite nicely and evenly.

Nobody seems to make a really powerful collimated-beam spotlight of any kind.

Molebeams go up to 10kw in Tungsten and 12kw in HMI. Beautiful, nearly parallel rays.

The SpectroLab Nightsun Xenons used on Police helicopters pack a hell of a punch, but they are not particularly well adapted for film use.

Molebeam is just the Mole Richardson name. Maybe in some older european studio you can find a beam projector. I saw a few old beam projectors at Paskal Lighting in California in the mid 90's. Apparently someone found them in an old junk pile in a studio. They dusted them off and started renting them. During the music video heyday of the 90's, they must have been popular. Mole must have gotten wind of them then and brought them back to life a few years later with the Molebeam tag. I seem to recall I stated seeing them in the late 90's/ early oughts.

Only 500W, though. Barely worth the trouble. I'm also slightly amused by the fact that they describe something like that as "ideal for use... as a followspot."

Err.

Much brighter than you think and at a very large throw. I'll have to look up specs for the 1k lamp, it's not the same as an EGT globe or the 240v equivalent.