Where can I buy the tape used to keep the film on the reels?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

I assume you're referring to the tape on the outside of a full reel.

If that's the case, I use paper tape and a standard dispenser. That's kind of the industry standard.

A long time ago, they used a plastic tape, you can use pretty much any "magic tape" solution like scotch tape. Just cut it into little strips and it works fine. Sometimes the really good dispensers cutting tool is good enough.

If you're using a tape splicer, a bit of splicing tape will do. Just fold a tab into it so it can be pulled off easily. It's good for about 35 years, but I recently had some 16mm in from 1975-6 and many of the tape splices parted. But that's the quid pro quo for its not turning sticky with age. Ordinary adhesive tapes tend to do that.

My own splices from 1978 onwards are fine. I assume it depends on the brand of tape.

Edited by Mark Dunn

We use acid-free artists tape. Paper backing, low tack adhesive (that doesn't leave residue on the film), and it's something you can order on Amazon in a variety of widths. We use 1/4" for 8mm and 3/8 or 1/2" for 16mm/35mm.

A roll lasts a really long time, so don't be put off by the cost of the tape ($10/roll or so).

• 2 weeks later...

Those 3 inch diameter fat rubber bands that various office supply places sell work great for the 50ft reels. I put a twist on one while placing it on the film and it makes it easier to grab the rubberband to remove it. I do suggest the film be snug on the reel and not loosely wadded up of course. The tape suggestions are good too. You can get a bag of rubberbands for pretty cheap though and they are reusable as well.