Aaton XTR 'rolling' vibrations? and tripod head/legs....

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

...so now I'm thinking whether the AATON XTR XC I have (16mm film camera) will produce vibrations when rolling film on my not built for purpose photo camera fluid head/legs (Manfrotto) and will the jitters (if any) will transfer to the captured footage.....meaning would have to do a dreaded tripod and head upgrade.......

advice...as always....more than appreciated......

Edited by Stephen Perera

If you've got vibrations that serious on an Aaton from film you should send it for a service.

That's not to say that you won't get better results overall with a heavier duty tripod, I've used 1/3" video cameras on my old Ronford F4 and it's much better than the the lighter tripods when operating with it. .

• Premium Member

My cameras don't generate any vibration at all. When running, they feel like a digital camera. The 35mm camera bodies have a gyroscopic effect because the mirrored shutter is so much bigger and weighs more, but the 16 cameras really don't.

So nothing to be concerned about!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

My cameras don't generate any vibration at all. When running, they feel like a digital camera. The 35mm camera bodies have a gyroscopic effect because the mirrored shutter is so much bigger and weighs more, but the 16 cameras really don't.

So nothing to be concerned about!

I'm looking at everything and anything that I COULD BE overlooking whilst I dont have the camera with me Tyler hahaha

I'll offer some advice from my actual standpoint of being a newbie to 16mm and having acquired a Bolex (that might or might not be functioning properly), hand-me-down tripods, cobbled together battery pack, and an assortment of series E Nikon lenses... Load it up with some film (once you have it in hand) & go have some fun with it!

I put some of my initial test shots in dropbox. Learned a lot from them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x567ckrqjjvueoa/swing%20shot.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igdzyk467i6k8a8/lean%20in.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uh6v11eiwbkgq7/test%20final%20walk.mp4?dl=0

(I realized that I'd ask some questions on those shots & solicit feedback but didn't want to hijack the thread so will start a new one :) )

Edited by tom lombard

A sticky mechanical governor hunting for speed on an old clockwork Bolex H16 which needs maintenance may shake almost un-noticeably with a long lens. I only ever saw it once when I was using a ridiculously long lens and there were shiny rail lines in the shot. Even then I could not really make up my mind if it was not instead a localised mirage over the rails except I could also hear the camera gears loading and unloading. An Aaton would have to awfully sick to vibrate in the manner you describe.

• Upvote 1