Filming demonstrations

George Ebersole

Wise words as above.. a mate of mine was shot and killed in Thailand a few years back .. during the Red and Yellow skirt demo,s..

One of the factors there was he didnt have the usual "spotter" ..someone who is just looking around the whole time.. who might have seen the gov soldier taking aim at the guy when he was actually shooting..

A bit of a severe case.. but if you can have a spotter with you.. any thing getting hairy.. run away..

• Premium Member

It's been a while.

Quick story, in 1992 I was shooting a bikini contest and the camera guy I was working with wanted me to come with him to Russia. Wouldn't you know it, there was a coup, and the Spetznas opened up with full automatic fire into the protesters at the very spot where he was.

There wasn't a chance in hell I would have gone anyway, my schedule was full at the time, but it's like I don't want to go into that kind of situation for a job. A very far cry from girls in two piece swim wear.

It really depends on your local knowledge, how the participants react to the media and if they are aggressive towards them. If you're shooting news, the demo getting wild and out of hand is part of the story, so the secret is being able to do so safely. Generally being between the two sides is not a good spot to be, usually either to one side or behind the most media friendly participant in the situation is the place to be.

It's best to have two people in the crew, one to act as a spotter, it's easy to get lost in the viewfinder and lose situational awareness ,

There are now courses for those wishing to work in war zones etc.

https://rorypecktrust.org/

Edited by Brian Drysdale

If ENG is going to be your chosen gig, the best thing to do is quickly become acquainted with the police departments you are likely to find on the scene. My nephew worked news in N. New Jersey for many years and the local police, Sheriff's deputies, etc., always kept him out of harms way.

It's also possible to own your own protective gear, even "cheap" body armor can mean the difference between a serious wound and a fatal one.