EMP 16mm Camera

Pavan Deep

No suggestion it was self-blimped- I wonder if more than a handful were ever made?
Visual Products seem to have one for sale..

Couldn't see it on their site...?

I'm surprised if only a small number were manufactured, unless they had problems. It would seem a nice way of capturing 16mm images with a tiny camera always at the ready. And I'd think there would be a market today for something like this.

Edited by Doug Palmer

Couldn't see it on their site...?

I'm surprised if only a small number were manufactured, unless they had problems.

I suggested it because there was so little reference to it anywhere, especially here, where some pretty obscure devices turn up.

Couldn't find Richter's website, though, what did you find?

Edited by Mark Dunn

You're right there is very little information regarding this camera, we don't know how loud it is and in it's smallest configuration using 100ft on cores it seems complex as I think you need a few pre-loaded mags when you're filming otherwise it seems too fiddly. I contacted Visual Products, they told me that the camera sold a while ago, but the web page pops up when you do a search for the EMP camera on Google, they have no other information on the camera. I can see that in today's market this camera would work, but it lacks a reflex viewfinder.

On another note I have started using old 16mm 50ft magazine cameras with single perf film, loading it in a simple way - not the preferred Kodak way and getting very good results, these cameras are very cheap, small and surprisingly quiet.

Pav

Edited by Pavan Deep

You're right there is very little information regarding this camera, we don't know how loud it is and in it's smallest configuration using 100ft on cores it seems complex as I think you need a few pre-loaded mags when you're filming otherwise it seems too fiddly. I contacted Visual Products, they told me that the camera sold a while ago, but the web page pops up when you do a search for the EMP camera on Google, they have no other information on the camera. I can see that in today's market this camera would work, but it lacks a reflex viewfinder.

On another note I have started using old 16mm 50ft magazine cameras with single perf film, loading it in a simple way - not the preferred Kodak way and getting very good results, these cameras are very cheap, small and surprisingly quiet.

Pav

It would be nice to see how these EMP cameras are constructed. The limited number of moving parts is interesting. I'd have thought a reflex finder may have been possible, though maybe they thought it wasn't necessary because of the small parallax distance and a likelihood of short lenses with big depth of field being used.

Pav, how would you rate the steadiness of your 50ft mag cameras ?

Edited by Doug Palmer