Arri Alexa EV $6000 by 2019?

Max Field

Not sure if anyone has been checking the eBay sales, but these cameras are going for under $8000 now.

86b4ef3e5a4d906982cb85009b241390.png

ENTIRE PACKAGES too, not just the body.

Last year these were going for about $9k or $10k

Who's getting one?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, tfw you have an Alexa but the producer asks if you can record 4K footage.

If they're asking that they're probably a "low information producer", so you can tell them "yes we'll record the Arriraw output" (which gives you 3.4K? Meaning just a small uprez to 4K. Of course if you have say an AMIRA or Mini then they can do that in camera)

If they're asking that they're probably a "low information producer", so you can tell them "yes we'll record the Arriraw output" (which gives you 3.4K? Meaning just a small uprez to 4K. Of course if you have say an AMIRA or Mini then they can do that in camera)

On the original EV it's only 2.5K

Eh, true, so yeah depends on which Alexa you have as to how you'd respond to it.

If I had an Alexa Classic I'd probably just deflect it and talk about all the great movies shot with the Alexa (many many! Plus of course my own work), rather than staying and dwelling on a sticky topic of 4K. Don't fight battles you can't win! (like a battle of resolution or frame rates, they'll just go with RED instead) Instead shift the playing field to where you have your strengths.

TBH in the real world of freelance DPing .. if the dir /prod co asks for 4K.. it has to be at least 3840.. or many times 4096.. you wont get the job waxing lyrical about all the great films shot on Alexa.. or up res etc. totally agree re lack of information /logic.. but 50% of the job is covering arse.. they say UHD or 4K.. thats what you better turn up with.. thats the battle you cant win..

Every situation is of course going to be different, and a lot of it comes down to how you can read the situation and what you know about their real needs vs wants.

For instance I was DP on a film last weekend that I successfully convinced the director/producer that for their budget and for the script they had (a lot of pages! But very little time) then it made an awful lot more sense to shoot on 2x Sony PMW-F3 cameras than on one RED Weapon. And that is what we did!

Sure you can box for your corner for a certain type of camera.. but as a freelancer.. if Natgeo /Discovery /a corp client say 4K .. then thats it.. its not the directors/producers call, they are freelance too mostly !.. its decided in the prod office from upon high by the suits.. often they don't really understand the techie stuff.. but if their memo says 4K.. its end of story.. Indie production may be different .. but any freelance DP would have to be wary of buying a non 4K (UHD) native camera.. if thats their main beast for paying the bills..unless they are only shooting high end feature films/commercials ... its funny that Star Wars can be shot with an Alexa .. but for my lowly corp shoots I very often have to shoot 4K.. !! nutty but thats the way it is..

but as a freelancer.. if Natgeo /Discovery /a corp client say 4K

Indie production may be different ..

Yes of course, thus my point about "depends" and "know your situation you're in".

If it is a demand from Discovery then don't even bother trying to argue them, you'll be wasting your breath.

But if it is an indie director self funding a short film? Then (depending on the details) you might have more wiggle room to push back or dodge the question of doing 4K.

but any freelance DP would have to be wary of buying a non 4K (UHD) native camera.. if thats their main beast for paying the bills..

I agree!

My minor amount of DoP work is just a small portion of my work (mostly I'm a sound mixer) and on the lower end, so I can probably get a couple more years out of my Sony PMW-F3.

But even I am seriously debating if now is a good time to buy a FS700 for its 4K and HFR capabilities.

Have had a good run of over three years with my Sony PMW-F3, I reckon I could get a good solid three years out of a secondhand FS700 with 4K raw. Would be worth it?

its funny that Star Wars can be shot with an Alexa .. but for my lowly corp shoots I very often have to shoot 4K.. !! nutty but thats the way it is..

I agree , the world is mad!