WTB: ARRI 235 body only 4-perf

Rob Guerrero

Hello fellow filmmakers,

Just looking for a 235 body in 4-perf. Not looking for any other perf. Basic kit ... no mags, no bridgeplate / dovetail camera support. Video assist a must. Medium extension eyepiece is a plus. Low or medium mileage on movie camera please.  

1) ARRIFLEX 235 Camera Body 

(1) Integrated Color Video Assist IVS (PAL/ NTSC)

(1) Medium Extension Eyepiece

(1) Riser Pad

Bump!

Wow is the 235 that hot everyone? I found very few available for sale out there. Very very very few. You would think there would be a boatload of analog film gear out there. That's kind of shock to me because we are well into the digital age and I figure most would be shooting digital by now.  Maybe I "guess" it's a good thing... it says to me "film is alive and kicking more than ever now" clearly more so than digital. 

Anyone with any leads to a 235 movie camera for sale please do PM here.

• Premium Member

Prices for last generation film cameras have skyrocketed in the last three years as more and more filmmakers want to shoot on film again (or for the first time). The most affected are the Arricam LT and ST, the Arri 235, Arri 416 and the Aaton XTR Prod and Extera.

Edited by David Sekanina
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/9/2020 at 12:05 AM, David Sekanina said:

in the last three years

Wow David!! You are so right, you hit the bullseye here. 2017 is exactly when all of these movie cameras you mention starting going up like double / triple in price. My question ... what happened in 2017 ?? Was there an event or something that just sent all these analog movie cameras to Pluto?  I remember seeing so many 235 movie cameras for sale and reasonable priced  before 2017. In fact there were so many of these movie cameras I just kind of took my time buying one especially when everyone was buying a ARRI Alexa (and still buying Alexa today). I regret now not buying the 235 back in 2017 but had no idea there would be this kind of analog film resurgence.

Edited by Rob Guerrero

There was a 235 for sale on ebay with no mags or batteries a month ago. Not sure if it sold. The seller was called gido90.

Film camera prices crashed to their lowest around 2015 because everyone thought it was obsolete technology. It was so little used (especially print stocks which used to be the projection media) that fuji folded its motion picture manufacturing, and all the labs began to close, and without labs cameras become paperweights, and their prices reflected that. As digital cinema became dominant people started to realise that it wasn't an entirely superior technology, just an alternative one with both advantages and disadvantages. New companies salvaged lab equipment, kodak signed deals to stave of bankruptcy, and demand for film cameras is highest in a decade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob Guerrero said:

My question ... what happened in 2017 ?? Was there an event or something that just sent all these analog movie cameras to Pluto?

I remember around this time many photographers, especially landscape photographers on YouTube began shooting on stills film and comparing them to digital. As you know, YouTube has a great deal of influence on my generation, particularly people born in the mid to late 90s and early 2000s so all of these people who were subscribed to these channels were blown away by how, to not start an argument I'll use the word "stylistic" the film looked when compared to the digital image. This took on a life of it's own and although a finite amount, some YouTubers started even shooting motion picture film, primarily on cameras like the Bolex H16 or the Krasnogorsk 3. If I'm not mistaken, later that year the word "Cinematography" also became more and more prevalent on YouTube as loads of channels began to upload these quote "Cinematography breakdown" videos where they would show old movies, and essentially only point out the framing of the shot, without any emphasis on lighting, set design, or direction. I use quotes because in many of these "Cinematography breakdown" videos, the actual cinematographer of the picture was never mentioned, but rather the director. However, it brought new eyes and a whole new generation one step closer to filmmaking. Remember now, before film sort of had this online resurgence, people used to think of film as very blurry scratchy footage until these videos wised them up by saying "By the way there were no digital cameras when this movie was made it was shot on film". It's something so obvious to people like us, but never crosses the average movie-goer's mind. I personally think a generation that has been so subconsciously domesticated to take a photo and naturally plug a camera into a computer, or transfer it through wifi, etc., to the point at which the idea that something that is so mechanical, something physical, or even something perishable can look in some cases better than their modern counterpart is very intriguing to my generation and every one thereof. I know this is why everyone wants to shoot film now. I remember speaking to a woman on the phone at Visual Products last year when looking to purchase my SRII and she told me she is excited by how many young people are purchasing film cameras. It's safe to say this affected the market and the prices are now gauged.

Edited by Matthew J. Walker
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 12:05 AM, David Sekanina said:

Arricam LT and ST, the Arri 235, Arri 416 and the Aaton XTR Prod and Extera.

This is really great info guys! I think the film resurgence in the last 3 years has been FANTASTIC! I have been shooting analog film since 2003 and even though digital has it's place and is here to stay ... I have ALWAYS championed analog film and it is my first format choice if possible over digital. Another analog film movie camera that I am sure David knows about but just forgot to mention is the Aaton Penelope. The Penelope above all analog film movie cameras is hands down my favorite movie camera from last generation of movie cameras...but like the other last generation movie cameras the price has skyrocketed on that one is near impossible to find. One common feature that all of the last generation analog movie film cameras have they are a "economic format capable" They can shoot 2/3 perf or S16 as in the case of Arri 416.

Thank you for helping explain the mystery of the analog film resurgence the last 3 years. I had no idea the last generation was so influenced and inspired by the pioneering analog filmmakers of all the classic movies shot on analog film and this "rediscovery of analog film" on Youtube the last few years is a total phenomenon.  I certainly didn't expect the new generation of filmmakers to appreciate analog film so much and certainly the movie camera manufacturers like ARRI, Aaron, Bolex did NOT see the analog film resurgence coming when they completely abandoned analog film about a decade ago...if they did expect a resurgence I am sure they (ARRI mainly) would quadrupled the production of analog film cameras in 2010 before switching 100% digital or going out of business.  I guess I shouldn't be to hard on myself for not buying a 235 before 2017 ... if the film manufacturers did not even see the film resurgence.

Still on the look out for a 235 movie camera probably even more so after these great responses. Please any leads contact me right away I won't make the same mistake of waiting too long! (Issac I missed that 235 for sale last month! A similar 235 kit sold during the summer of 2020 and I missed that too. These last generation analog movie cameras sell fast!!)?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich thanks for the update. I *think* that  applies mainly  to "sellers", with actual items to sell. I am not selling anything, just WTB. There is no limit mentioned on bumping WTB that I can see.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:13 AM, Matthew J. Walker said:

As you know, YouTube has a great deal of influence on my generation

Don't forget IG as well !

Edited by Rob Guerrero

On 2/11/2021 at 4:09 AM, dio zafi said:

film cameras are expensive now but worth it...I know for for commercial spots  film cameras are used alot ..and the results are great..so that's why the prices have skyrocketed

That is for certain, 35mm film is still used heavy for both music videos and commercials, I know DPs that shoot only those with film format. That said even with feature films with 12K scans it really is just artistic preference to shoot film or digital these days.