Looking for a fast prime for super 16mm? What are the best options without using PL mount

david richardson

hello I have a lovely zoom, but it just opens to 2.8, would be great to have a lens that had a shallower depth of field. What are the best options as I have a chance to chance to get an adapter for my super 16mm Eclair NPR camera, was thinking that an arriflex mount would be best, but maybe something to use the Bolex options? Looking to get lovely close ups. Thanks

Edited by david richardson

• Premium Member

c-mount primes would be the cheapest option if you can use them with the camera and there is tons of options.

the eclairs can use many different lens types with adapters, I think one can use arri bayonet lenses with them if I remember correctly and some others as well.

but the c-mount is the cheapest option for sure if possible to use for the application

Has your NPR mounts been modified along with conversion to S16? If not, it should have C-mount and Cameflex mount built in. I think it's possible to find an adapter Arriflex S to Cameflex, but there are also many C-mount adapters available for different mounts.

You might want to look for Kern Switar (non-RX!) lenses. They are quite nice C-mount lenses, though using filters or a matte box or follow focus with them is at the very least difficult, if not outright impossible.

However, if you are mainly looking for shallow depth of field and tele lenses, how about Contax/Yashica to C-mount adapter and Zeiss lenses? Something like 50mm f1.7 is very cheap and Zeiss sharp. Only wider end is lacking and expensive since those are for 35mm SLR.

Looking at the title of the thread - if you want fast lenses, for T1.3 you'd really need to go for Arri Bayonet and either Zeiss super speeds or Optar Illumina. If around T2/2.2 is good enough, there are options in Arriflex Standard too, Cooke Kinetal and Zeiss. C-mount Switars are around f1.4, f1.7

There are some C-Mount lenses which are a bit awkward for controllability as they tend to come unscrewed. They are branded Fujian and can be found in 25mm, 35mm and 50mm at f1.7. 

If you can still find them, a lens which was sweet for contrast was the Cosmicar 22mm to 66mm f1.8 zoom lens, possibly better described as a variable prime. The front optical elements are large and the rear end may not fit in the Eclair C-Mpunt adaptor if it is deep buried in a narrow surrounding.

Any specimen you may find may have dried lube which makes them bind so likely will require servicing.

I am unsure if it will cover Super16mm. It might vignette from about 22mm to 25mm but who knows?
COSMICAR 22-66mm 1:1.8 TELEVISION ZOOM CAMERA LENS Made in Japan

Edited by Robert Hart
added text

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Heikki Repo said:

Would be really interesting to see some real world tests made with these lenses ?

I'm sure they would be super sharp and contrasty, but they cost $1700 USD, so not really a budget option. And only f/2, so not super fast. 

From the specs they have quite deep exit pupils,  so would work quite well with reflex Bolexes as well.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Heikki Repo said:

Would be really interesting to see some real world tests made with these lenses ?

Pro8mm posted some tests on a super8 camera with one of these on their youtube channel when the lenses originally came out.