Information about crystal motors for the Arri S.

Neal Levendel

19 hours ago, Robin Phillips said:

the tobin ones were the most recent made for them I think, IIRC they were actually made in the 90s. I've seen those go for as much as $800 USD

Thanks. Could you tell me what models are on the cheaper end?

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Neal Levendel said:

Thanks. Could you tell me what models are on the cheaper end?

there has been some other small batch crystal motor designs for the 16s cameras but they are pretty rare overall and even rarer in working condition. The issue with crystal sync motors in general is that they are often from extremely difficult to downright impossible to get repaired if they malfunction badly. That is because they are technically complicated, often use obsolete parts and every single design is different from the other and very little to none documentation is available how to service them so it is trial and error and pure luck to try to get them restored.

From 500 to 800 is considered "cheap" nowadays for a fully working crystal sync motor for any camera model and the better ones easily go over a grand a piece. If it needs to be really affordable, then a non-crystal mains synced motor could do if used with a inverter (cumbersome yes but that means cheaper too) .

I can maybe arrange something for the arri16s later on, I am working on various crystal sync motor developing projects at the moment and can probably arrange something for that camera though it will likely be pretty advanced design and likely costing over a grand minimum

• Upvote 1

Looks like Du All has sold its last new crystal sync’ed motor for your Arri:

http://www.duallcamera.com/store/CrystalMotors.shtml

In June 2016, the TCS TXM-22a and the TCS TXM-22 have been listed as „new“ for 995 US$ (thanks to archive.org for storing this information!)

It looks like the 22a was only for forward, while the „22 without a“ could also run the camera in reverse.

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

And it looks like a company called „G.Thoma“ also produced such crystal sync motors.

Here is my Thoma Crystal sync for my Arriflex 2C 2perf. (The photos only load upside down, no idea why that is.)

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

Edited by Uli Meyer

• Premium Member

Recently I bought two Tobin Crystal sync motors for my Arriflex 16 S. I have tested one and it is working perfectly. This second one I haven't tested yet. What is nice about them is that they are lighter in weight compared to the regular motors.

IMG_3956.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/20/2023 at 5:11 PM, Joerg Polzfusz said:

There was also the „24fps only“ model  „Jensen Crystal Controlled Multisync Model 504“ by the Danish company „Georg Jensen“ for the Arri 16s.

I posted about my Model 504 a while back:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
4 hours ago, Fabian Schreyer said:

Just to add some information: One observation of mine is that the original ARRI crystal sync motor seems to be the only one that has this feature where it always stops in the viewing position.

Well that would be handy!  As I discovered with some Eclair motors this trick depends on you putting the motor on the body with the parts in the right orientation, then it just always puts it back there.  I'll have to test my model 504 and see if it does that, if I assemble it properly - hadn't even thought of that, thanks for the heads up!

Duncan