Where to live and avoid in LA?

Ryan Ivy

On 7/31/2023 at 9:50 PM, Kemalettin Sert said:

I live in Long Beach since 2020 and its worse than Syria.I came here with my wife from 3rd world country and LA literally is a hellhole.We never seen a crime before in our lives but in last 5 years my wife became 2 times only eyewitness to a manslaugter.One of them she was looking out from a window (such an evil act aint it) and she saw a homeless dude beating up our old neighbor lady to death just because she tried to help him.Last week i had to call 911 because some other homeless stabbed this homeless who stole her homeless girlfriend.

You dont see this in somewhere else thats why LA and California is a such a unique place.

Other unique sightseeings of LA is you can see a homeless emcampent right across the elemantary schools where they smoke meth and defecate (or other lewd acts )

I wish i never got in industry and had another profession so i can move somewhere else to live that so called american dream where you can own a house nice family and send your children to nice schools with no gang activity.

Amen brother, can't help but feel like the people who "love" LA just haven't experienced someplace better. Moving to LA from Europe is insane, car-centric city planning is an actual nightmare.

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Fedor Karpenko said:

Amen brother, can't help but feel like the people who "love" LA just haven't experienced someplace better. Moving to LA from Europe is insane, car-centric city planning is an actual nightmare.

Many people who don't live in LA, don't understand the benefits. 

Yes, traffic sucks, hence the reason I rode motorcycles until covid. Honestly I'd rather be near great theaters, awesome food, mountains for hiking, ocean for scuba diving, thousands of other creatives to team up and work on projects, no snow/nice winters, no rust on anything, very few big storms. All the boutique businesses to support not just the film industry but also other recreational industries as well. The ability to go trail riding in the desert during the day and watch the sunset at the beach on your board. It's quite the place and unless you're stuck at home doing nothing. 

I have tried to move many times; Seattle, Bay Area, back to Boston where my parents are and now Denver area. But ya know what, every time we try, we realize that 80% of our business is from Los Angeles. If we move, we lose nearly everything. Also, all of the above things as well. Can you imagine getting parts for our BMW and KTM's? All internet only. That sucks, what if you screwed something up and you need it same day? I got 3 BMW parts distributors within a bicycle ride from my house. It's things like that, which kinda force people to stay here. When you have to leave all that convenience behind you, the benefits of moving kinda don't make sense. The benefits are limited and I know, I've lived in other places and after months of being away, I'm anxious to get back mainly due to work. 

We don't own property tho, it's way cheaper not to actually. Most of my friends who own houses, spend about as much as we do on rent, just keeping their property in tip top shape AND paying taxes. I would never own a house in So Cal. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

On 8/5/2023 at 12:10 AM, Kemalettin Sert said:

Its the city council and their mindless decisions.They cant stop or do anything about encampments.

Only good thing about Long Beach is the weather.Other than that i havent seen lawlessness like this anywhere else in the world.

It blows my mind how most of the people living in California thinks this is ok.Its a daily occurence for me to see someone stealing stuff from CVS or Target.

Tyler...

Why did covid stop your bikes?

Kemalettin...

People have different priorities. Some will overlook what are negatives because of things that are more important to them. Tyler is a good example of that. He expressed what is important to him in So. Cal.

It is the same with politics. It all revolves around priorities. The reps say how can any sane person vote dem. The dem's say how can anyone vote for...you know who. It is all about what is more important to you over something else.

There was a guy that was depressed about living in Santa Barbara. He lived in a little apartment. He had an average job that allowed him to have a small apartment. This was 15 years ago. Maybe with today's rental costs he can't afford Santa Barbara now, dunno.

But the point is this...

For an average person living in Santa Barbara, you won't find you joy in living in big mansions like Greg has. You will find your joy in 'just' being able to live in Santa Barabra. 

I was born in L.A., but it got to $$ for me to live. I moved out decades ago and would just visit periodically to get my L.A. fix. But haven't been back since 2015. I moved as close as I could get to NYC and still afford it and that put me about 6 hours away in the Rustbelt. L.A., NYC both exciting cities and unaffordable for me...even for visiting any more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have lived in Northeast LA for 8 years and absolutely love it, tons of younger industry people, the best bars and restaurants, more affordable, some great theaters and movie rental places, lots of great parks and outdoors access. We have a house Mt Washington now, great quite residential neighborhood thats is still very close to all the big city amenities, a true hidden gem. Highland park is highly recommended, especially in the hills around Occidental college, it is booming with new bars and restaurants every other week is feels like, Eaglerock is lovely and a little more quite, South Pasadena is is an idilic 1920s americana suburb, Los Feliz has some lovely walkable neighborhoods, Echo Park is maybe the most walkable neighborhood in the city and is very hip and bohemian, Silver lake is classic, parts of Pasadena are absolutely beautiful, beechwood canyon is a gem of a residential neighborhood. Hope this helps!