A real 'red' camera

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

Got heads up on this from cinematography.net. Like the fact that they are really catering for anamorphic shooters. just wish they could find a europeon distributer- preferably one with the cash to do some work on an ergonomic housing for it! 2k version is also interesting and check out thier claimed high speed frame rate.

kinor digital camera

enjoy,

Keith

Got heads up on this from cinematography.net. Like the fact that they are really catering for anamorphic shooters. just wish they could find a europeon distributer- preferably one with the cash to do some work on an ergonomic housing for it! 2k version is also interesting and check out thier claimed high speed frame rate.

kinor digital camera

enjoy,

Keith

Damn! Beat me to the punch.

Note that they will take Kinor cine-cameras as trade in.

Will they also be upgrading these?

• Premium Member

I saw this one at the Cinec, but only grabbed a one-sheet. The people at the Kinor/Elite Optica booth did not speak English, except for a translator who didn't know anything about the product, so I couldn't get a straight answer baout their various lenses already.

The thing that makes me wonder though is how the figures are supposed to work out. With spherical lenses they say you get 2400x1350 pixels (16-9), which is really just a bit better than 2K and certainly not 4 K. But with an anamorphic lens they claim you get 4040x1720 pixels (2.35 aspect ratio). I have a feeling that they are cheating a bit and for the horizontal pixel count are using the unsqueezed figure (4040), when on the sensor you actually only use 2020 pixels effectively.

Also I wonder if these numbers are the figures of the chip or the output, processed image.

Actually, this is an old one.

I already thought about this possibility before. Their comparision vs a Viper is quite interesting...

http://www.ctt.ru/demo/

...but following the next input coming from a possible customer (Levan Bakhia), well, I prefer to leave over here the link...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=371521#post371521

...in order to each one can take his/her own conclusions...

BTW, Levan Bakhia is also with RED: 4 reservations (one from NAB + three after the RED presentation coming from IBC) as it's possible to confirm here from his own words...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75803

...besides myself, since last friday I sent a fax in order to be holder of more one reservation, two (total) now.

Last but not least, on topic, it's interesting to see two european (one of them as born citizen of the former Soviet Union) as buyers (and investors too -- don't forget!) of an western project from an american company instead of another prior "red" one but maybe without the marketing success guaranteed for a entrepreneur like James Jannard is.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

For sure there will be several HD/2k/4k cameras comming to the market in the next year or so. Competition will mean lower prices for those who wait!

Yeah... Maybe the next SLR generation.

Meanwhile,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=...amp;postcount=6

http://www.kinor.ru/products/camera/dc4k/

400fps @ 1080p

250fps @ 4K

hell...

but as it seems, this is not a "Real" 4K Camera

"4040x1720x with Anamorpthic LENS*

2,35:1

2400x1350 with standard lenses"

in digital terms this is just WRONG

Using a anamorpthic lens does NOT offer more resolution but gives you same resolution with non square pixels in projection.

22mm size sensor... lame

RED will blow this out of the water

P.S. wow... the Elite 4,2/240?1040 weights 18 kg... quite a big lens

• Premium Member
Yeah... Maybe the next SLR generation.

Meanwhile,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=...amp;postcount=6

Got to be honest, I don't understand a word of this post- what does 'maybe the next slr generation' mean? I assume SLR means single lens reflex? SLR's appeared first appeared in the 1930's I believe... nope still confused. and why 'meanwhile' followed by some moaning idiotic redophile complaining that a working camera has placed misleading information on thier website- something that a manufacturer of a much trumpeted non-working camera would never do? am i in the right ball park for any of this? and why not just say here's some nonsense i've seen another website rather than a link to something completely pointless- which you then quote anyway?

Keith this person [ Patrizio ] doesnt deserve any one to reply to any posts ,waste of finger power . John Holland.

What's your problem, Holland?

Let me guess:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=131936

Here? Is this your personal tiny response? But you don't need to answer. I will. Once and again: your pet hates and dislikes are simply RIDICULOUS! This time, you forgot your location... :lol: but I ask you once more: did you read well? Your own native english? :P Ridiculous... Get a point (of view), mister!

Got to be honest, I don't understand a word of this post- what does 'maybe the next slr generation' mean? I assume SLR means single lens reflex? SLR's appeared first appeared in the 1930's I believe... nope still confused. and why 'meanwhile' followed by some moaning idiotic redophile complaining that a working camera has placed misleading information on thier website- something that a manufacturer of a much trumpeted non-working camera would never do? am i in the right ball park for any of this? and why not just say here's some nonsense i've seen another website rather than a link to something completely pointless- which you then quote anyway?

On this, the only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:

Following the Mr. Williams point on upcoming HD/2k/4k cameras, I brought two hands to this debate:

The sensor issue from the SLR industry contribution (motion picture as well?) and an external quote on the same subject (focusing that anamorphic point quoted by Mr. Williams now after my post) and that: "RED will blow this out of the water". Is that your problem?

• Premium Member
On this, the only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:

Following the Mr. Williams point on upcoming HD/2k/4k cameras, I brought two hands to this debate:

The sensor issue from the SLR industry contribution (motion picture as well?) and an external quote on the same subject (focusing that anamorphic point quoted by Mr. Williams now after my post) and that: "RED will blow this out of the water". Is that your problem?

I have no problem with anyone making a valued contribution to this forum. unfortunately i cannot understand anything you're saying. you also failed to address any of my questions.

I have no problem with anyone making a valued contribution to this forum. unfortunately i cannot understand anything you're saying. you also failed to address any of my questions.

It's not difficult to understand we don't speak the same Red language here. That's not a big deal. Since we are posting in a democratic forum. The only problem is when this is not acceptable to all.

On your claim, quoting myself: "The only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:" that answer you already know.

Quoting Mr. Williams to my (and from others) presumption ("RED will blow this out of the water"): "I was rather hoping they would". The last part of his statement "failed to address any of my..." (and from others) finds.

Edited by Patrizio De Sica

• Premium Member
Quoting Mr. Williams to my (and from others) presumption ("RED will blow this out of the water"): "I was rather hoping they would". The last part of his statement "failed to address any of my..." (and from others) finds.

Hi Patrizio,

The green screen shot! What would that blow out of the water?

Stephen

• Premium Member

What's even more worrying is that this is a professional website where one expects a certain objecticity, at least when it comes to technical questions. Unfortunately lately this has not been the case in this subforum, as most of us are all to aware.

WOW Three professional posts addressed to the Red "amateur"?! It's a lot! I'd need to be a professional poster for answering to all of your interest... :lol:

On the green screen shot: not so bad but they are an underdevelopment project yet.

On the Red language: there is! Just check outside and try to learn... Or your language won't rule for so many years anymore...

On this "favorite" subforum, if it isn't your professional field, why so much interest with this "amateur" side? Still, you should ask to the website administrators to delete the "HD ONLY" area for a better sleep tonight.

• Premium Member
On this "favorite" subforum, if it isn't your professional field, why so much interest with this "amateur" side?

Who ever said the Red was for amateurs? You really should stop trying to constantly turn this into an 'either/or' situation, because it just isn't. Most people come here to inform themselves about cameras that are available or are being developped as these are the tools that they work with. They are interested in choice, options, and do not appreciate every thread being turning into a useless religious argument.

Need to be pretty well heeled amateurs. There are some lower cost solutions being floated about, but I haven't seen anything from RED to suggest that the camera is for amateur use.

I suspect that many people used to 1/3" cameras and using only auto functions will find themselves on a steep learning curve.

Until people get hands on with this camera and run tests, much of the discussion here is purely speculative.

• Premium Member
On the green screen shot: not so bad but they are an underdevelopment project yet.

Hi,

'not so bad' hardly what I would expect from the camera that I thought was going to replace film.

IMHO not focusing the camera is a fairly basic mistake, or was it in 'focus assist mode'!

Stephen