craigslist is pointless

Niki Mundo

• Premium Member

Hell, if any of you wind up philadelphia wise, I'd love to buy you a beer; speaking of networking.

I'm not sure of LA, but also, I know here in Philadelphia, we have a job hotlline off of our film office's website. Might also be well worth a look.

Also, lurk 'round the Film Depts of colleges, and see if any of them need crew. You might not get paid, of course, but a free meal is nothing to be scoffed at (especially if you're living in a van!)

Good luck and try to stay away from CL and any of those meal, copy and experience gig's

I would say Find some young talent at the schools and get in good with who you can see has skill.

I found some of my best Clients are people I went to school with and we built a realtionship from the very basic shoots, to the paying gigs of today.

• Premium Member
This posting on CL is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cwg/661771392.html

In case that link goes away, here's a full description of the gig: http://0sand1s.info/crewcall.html

This isn't meant to be crass and disrespectful to the past but could you imagine a dark comedy in which a concentration camp lures it's captives by placing a camera just inside the barbed wire fence and then offering free lodging in exchange for working on a film project.

We're making a low budget horror film, free lodging, come on in.

I was in LA recently and dropped Ms. Mundo a message offering to meet up and say hello, and she told me to get lost.

Networking, people...

That's actually pretty funny. Next time I'm in London Phil I will definitely e-mail you prior. At the very least I'll need to be picked up from the airport and a place to stay :D

R,

yeah guys, I'm just bitchin' about CL. I'll still look for work there. I'm just inexperienced and then comes the whining.

I wouldn't do that on the phone or on a set- swear. But here on some board, yes. I'm greatful for all wealth of responses and collective knowledge here about all things filmmaking. It's my only connection to the industry at the moment and when you're living in a van, alone, with hot weather and spanish in the night air it's comforting when I go to the cafe' in the morning to have my $1 coffee and sit for 3 hours until the library opens.

I'm just gonna have to try harder!

Niki,

I like your style of writing...it paints a clear picture of what you are going through. And its funny at times...

Maybe you should think about writing a diary or memoirs of your experience there....

Good Luck!!

S

i can't help with jobs, but i lived in a van in L.A. , Orlando and upstate New York.

there's a park behind the federal building on wilshire blvd and veteran ave. i used to park there. you would be a 5 minute walk from the westwood mann theatre(where they premiered episode 1, the thin red line, and fight club-i think, this was a long time ago.) and the general time killing area of UCLA students. good place to meet people is the 'coffee bean' coffee shop, or whatever it is currently called. there is also an l.a. fitness there also on wilshire, where i used to shower each day and work out. if anything, it was a safe place to park (this was in '98 and '99) there are a lot of homeless people in that park, but i never had any real problems, and with a van you will be the sort of uber diety of the homeless)...i used to park right at the corner of veteran and rochester.

may fortune smile upon you!

I did post this in your other thread, but just in case that thread gets closed:

I'm a teenager...let me say that again...teenager- fresh out of high school. started with no resume at all since I didn't have any experience to list.

-Yet, from the Los Angeles crew gigs section I've managed to complete 2 successful internships. Found 5 (*edit-actually 6) PA gigs and a even a small Grip job. I'm currently on my 3rd internship and it has just led me to find a steady paying job.

I found ALL but 1 through Craigslist. (the other was off of Mandy) I didn't even apply to the majority of the PA gigs on CL because also being a student, my schedule is very limited.- I've been incredibly picky location wise as well. I owe a lot to Craigslist. None of the projects I worked on were "seedy" and I've met a ton of awesome people. It is not "pointless."

Other than CL i suggest you look at the filming calender of other cities and track down the productions in your area, then research them on google and apply as a PA to the ones with the smallest budgets or student films. -Crazy though it may seem, it has worked. Usually I can get the contact info pretty easily by looking to see if they posted for any other positions on job search websites like CL or Mandy. *Note* Don't try to sound like a stalker when you tell them how you found their email/#.

darn, i can't edit above post again. however, i was just going to say I considered using the last route I mentioned as still getting the job through craigs since they had originally posted through there. ...wanted to clarify so the continuity in the number of jobs off of craigs adds up better since i know i said i only got one from mandy. - don't know if anyone would do the math lol hope that actually makes sense now