2009 prime lenses

jan von krogh

As many people know, we consider these internet forums a waste of time.

however, faster they are.

we will soon offer a set of prime lenses.

the quality is german-style, the price is matched to reds offers.

please be aware that we cannot receive more than 5 mail on this bulletin board.

if you want to keep posted, therefore, please post on this thread.

jan von krogh

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
That's ok. We think you're a waste of time too.

jb

Space and time interchangeable they are.

A waste of both what a shame it is to be, master Yorick.

A forum chewtoy never a waste of time is, master John. :lol:

Edited by Keith Walters

• Premium Member
As many people know, we consider these internet forums a waste of time.

however, faster they are.

we will soon offer a set of prime lenses.

the quality is german-style, the price is matched to reds offers.

please be aware that we cannot receive more than 5 mail on this bulletin board.

if you want to keep posted, therefore, please post on this thread.

jan von krogh

Well Nostradamus, you could just make your email address part of your signature. Then it will automatically appear on every post you make, past and present. Just a suggestion.

But why can't you just tell everyone what lenses they are, even if you don't have them yet?

Hey, if it's good enough for your fearless leader, it should be good enough for you.

• Premium Member
This is the best thread for a long time, hope the lenses perform as promised.

I've just noticed Jan started a thread last month on REDUSER about this same subject, but Jan/Laguun's posts are now all marked "Banned". There is no explanation about this anywhere. I suppose you could imagine them getting a bit snotty about someone blatantly promoting a competing product on their website :D

• Premium Member
I've just noticed Jan started a thread last month on REDUSER about this same subject, but Jan/Laguun's posts are now all marked "Banned". There is no explanation about this anywhere. I suppose you could imagine them getting a bit snotty about someone blatantly promoting a competing product on their website :D

Hi Keith,

Jan hijacked this thread http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.ph...6978&page=2 it's all been deleted now.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Keith,

Jan hijacked this thread http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.ph...6978&page=2 it's all been deleted now.

Stephen

Kind of ironic that Jan is now reduced to flogging his wares here, this being the "#1 Red Haters" site and all.

On the other hand, maybe he thinks that will give him a marketing advantage. :rolleyes:

Certainly be interesting to see what they're like.

Hi Jan,

Sustaining members have larger PM boxes.

Best,

Stephen

Or perhaps membership upgrade to:

Press / PR / Media

A Press Membership to Cinematography.com allows you to post industry related news items, press releases, and event notices with images and links in our News & Events forum.

The headline and link to the most recent News post is always automatically mirrored at the top of the Cinematography.com home page under our logo.

Press Members can participate non-commercially forum-wide, however only Press members can create topics in the News & Events forum.

• Premium Member

Jan is being coy & not updating the thread!

I understand the first lenses will be 25, 32, 40, 50, 75,95 Second round 12, 14, 16 as well as the 150 Lenses will be T2 or better.

Final pricing could be 2500, depending on volume.

Beta test sets are available to buy at 2000 per lens.

Edit - I have since been informed delivery is March/April

• Premium Member
Edit - I have since been informed delivery is March/April

March/April ... what?

This year? Decade? Century? Millennium? Epoch?

There's something not quite Kosher about all this.

However you slice it, setting up for bulk manufacture of high quality lenses requires the spending of some serious Krugerrands.

I can't help wondering why they would pick an outfit like von Krogh's to be their distributor, or even why they don't sell them directly.

Or even offer them to RED as an alternative supplier.

March/April ... what?

This year? Decade? Century? Millennium? Epoch?

There's something not quite Kosher about all this.

However you slice it, setting up for bulk manufacture of high quality lenses requires the spending of some serious Krugerrands.

I can't help wondering why they would pick an outfit like von Krogh's to be their distributor, or even why they don't sell them directly.

Or even offer them to RED as an alternative supplier.

From my understanding, he's not a distributor, he's just helping to beta test them. I believe they might actually be sold directly or through one distributor-at least in the US.

Remember, it's not like companies haven't had some time to work on lenses. Someone said that it takes Zeiss at least a year to get lenses to the market once they've been announced, and Ziess is supposed to be releasing some new lower cost ones through Abel Cine and Band Pro at NAB. Of course, these are supposed to be available immediately so evidently Zeiss has been working on them for quite a while.

Matthew

• Premium Member

Personally. I'd be happy to see more PL glass pop up on the market. Even if it won't work on my Arri, I'd be happy to bundle it up with the Letus and send it out on shoots-- still be better than using Nikon Primes, so long as they have proper gears on 'em.

Personally. I'd be happy to see more PL glass pop up on the market. Even if it won't work on my Arri, I'd be happy to bundle it up with the Letus and send it out on shoots-- still be better than using Nikon Primes, so long as they have proper gears on 'em.

From my figuring there are quite a few sets coming to the market. RED, IB/e, Jan's set, a new Zeiss set, and one more company that I can't remember the name (may actually be Jan's set.)

Pretty exciting time for new glass.

Matthew

Well, not talking about RED, but lens-making in general has actually, in effect, gone backwards as far back as the '70s. They T-0.7 primes then. What's' the fastest new set out now?

And, while I actually care a great deal about the environment, I think in fields that had legitimate reasons for using lead, should haven take precedent over an outright ban. I think using lead could make faster lenses than a non-lead process, environmentalism has actually played a part in lens-making's going bbackward.

Unfortunately, the concern nowadays with boosting speed seems concentrated on faster films and sensors.

Well, not talking about RED, but lens-making in general has actually, in effect, gone backwards as far back as the '70s. They T-0.7 primes then.

Well, to be fair, Kubrick had t0.7 primes then, but they were specially adapted by Nasa. It's not like they were readily available from any rental house.