Tim Tyler

Today's Office

PS...above shot was lit by one bare bulb! Ceiling light is broke. I put same photo on another forum. Face and little table desk all burned out. Every venue and print may need their own post image. This image has +/- 20 minutes of post to make it work. With film / vid, you got to get it closer unless you got deep pockets for frame by frame retouching.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

3 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Last Thursday started on new documentary about an 85 year yodeler. 3 floors packed with 65 years of country music history. Still trying to figure out best way to shoot. This is his office he uses to make radio shows. No room for a tripod. My fat stomach is in the bottom of the photo.

RBM Project DD. Teoli LR .jpg

Looks like you picked the right lens for the room! Sounds like a worthy subject, looking forward to seeing it when it is finished. 

14 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Looks like you picked the right lens for the room! Sounds like a worthy subject, looking forward to seeing it when it is finished. 

Thanks. Still trying to get some lenses. I've ordered a few Rokinon DS from BH for my Sony. They keep sending AS lenses. They have sent replacements a number of times. 4 lenses over 2 weeks and all wrong AS lenses. In fact, the budget for the film is mainly these lenses...on my credit card! Hope to get some lenses soon I can keep.

As far as worthy?

I think so, but just no telling sometimes. I've had projects I thought were important and little interest was shown for them. Other projects I thought were nothing, had big followings. That is the beauty of not having to work commercial. If you please yourself with your work, you are fine. With commercial work, you got to make $$.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Greene said:

How about using a mono pod instead of a tripod?

Maybe. Planning to try anyway. 

He took me down in the basement to show me how he plays his pipes to the steam heat furnace. I hope to shoot that in IR. I got IR video, just no IR light sources other than flash. That is something to experiment with. I can get IR lights, but I want invisible IR light. That is the iffy part. I don't need invisible for him, I need invisible for me and other candid projects. I figure I might as well shoot for the invisible light if I can.

4 minutes ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

As far as worthy?

I think so, but just no telling sometimes. I've had projects I thought were important and little interest was shown for them. Other projects I thought were nothing, had big followings. That is the beauty of not having to work commercial. If you please yourself with your work, you are fine. With commercial work, you got to make $$.

That’s true, it’s almost impossible to predict popularity. I am of the same mind, please your own taste when doing passion projects and make your peace with the results.

It’s also important to know your own tendencies. I have found for myself that I tend to resist making conventional choices up front, sometimes putting myself in a difficult spot and enjoying wrestling my way out. Sort of a ‘why not?’ way of working and backtracking if necessary. Picking odd lenses and aspect ratios, or sticking to a single focal length, picking difficult locations that are visually interesting, framing wider and lower if it’s pleasing, etc. 

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as a way of working for people who are still learning the basics, but I think after you’ve picked up enough craft to be able to guess correctly most of the time, it can be a way to keep your eyes fresh and stay artistically inspired. 

I’m currently producing a few spec projects with another DP friend, and I am constantly surprised at how ‘liberal’ my methods can seem to others. I guess my usual directors let me get away with quite a lot creatively.