Beaulieu 4008 ZMII disassembly procedure

Dom Jaeger

• Premium Member

While nothing beats a professional service, for those inclined to work on their cameras themselves or for anyone simply interested in the inner workings of a top class Super 8 movie camera, I've documented the stripdown and service of a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII, one of the gems of the Super 8 era.

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/beaulieu-4008-zmii.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Guest Glenn Brady

This is very useful, Dom. Have you given any thought to putting information of this kind in a bound volume? Given the sometimes fugitive nature of information stored digitally, I'd be willing to pay to have this information in print form.

• Premium Member

Thanks everyone. :)

This is very useful, Dom. Have you given any thought to putting information of this kind in a bound volume? Given the sometimes fugitive nature of information stored digitally, I'd be willing to pay to have this information in print form.

I have given it some thought, but I suspect the market for such a volume would be very small.

Nice but don't use paper lens tissue with methylated spirit on camera lenses and certainly not on surface silvered mirrors.

It is strongly recommended against by professional lens working people.

People get very worked up about specific techniques to clean optics!

But perhaps you should read the text more closely Andries. I recommended lens tissue and methylated spirit to clean the ground glass only, and only if blowing air doesn't work. This was a tip passed on to me years ago from Arri, but there are other methods and tricks to clean the delicate surface of a ground glass, such as using a clean putty eraser. For camera and lens optics I mainly use isopropyl alcohol and/or lens cleaner with tissues. Some folks like micro-fibre cloths or lens pens or pec pads, but lens tissues are also often used by professional lens people. You can fold them into a point for small optics like eyepieces or to reach an optic deep in a lens body. They can feel crepe papery but at a microscopic level they are non-abrasive.

The important thing when cleaning optics is to blow or brush off any particles first, and to make sure that the tissue, cloth, pen or pad you then use is clean.

• Upvote 1

I love you Dom! I opened one up last year, if only you had documented the stripdown earlier... would have saved a handful of my remaining hair. Any chance of a supplemental showing the take apart and cleaning of the viewfinder tube/optics? Or should that not be attempted at all?

• Premium Member

Thanks Avery, sorry to hear about the hair loss. Terrible when it comes out in clumps like that. ;)

I deliberately left out dismantling of the viewfinder system because pulling it apart seemed to me to potentially introduce more problems than it might solve. You can easily screw up alignments which are very important for a reflex viewfinder, or damage the fragile meter needle, whereas a little dust or some specks in there won't actually affect the film at all. Anyway most of the specks I suspect would usually either be on the ground glass or the optic behind it, and simply cleaning the mirror can brighten up the image considerably.