Landscapes shot in Super 16

David Preddy

Hi there,

I'm trying to get an idea of the image quality of shooting a landscape (more specifically a desert landscape) in Super 16.

Does anyone know any films/scenes from films that I could watch to get an idea of this?

Right now I'm deciding between shooting in s16 or 2 perf 35mm.

If I shot s16 I'd probably be using an SR3 with Arri/Zeiss Ultra 16s

Thanks!

David

• Premium Member

I don't think Super 16 is really ideal for wide landscapes. It can be a bit soft especially if you're using 500T. For close ups, it is great.

I believe most, if not all, of Ken Burns' documentaries like 'The National Parks' were shot on the format, so that would be a good start for reference. Though I don't know what lenses they were using.

• Premium Member

I think most of those ken burns shoots are on the Canon S16mm Zooms, but don't quote me too hard on that.

on S16mm, desert, you're on 50D, which I think would be just fine, honestly and might be easier than 2-perf which can be hard to source bodies for and you're stuck in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

If that's what you want, go 2-perf, but if you don't, then S16mm or splurge and go 3 perf 35.

• Premium Member

I should have clarified - wide landscape shots in Super 16 can look soft, if you are used to shooting on modern digital cameras (which most people are). Some of the aesthetically pleasing softness of film (especially small gauge film) that we love for faces in close-ups can also work against you in a wide shot.

Shooting on slow film stock in high contrast situations, with sharp lenses at a deep stop can help mitigate some of this. Polarizers and ND grads can help increase contrast and apparent sharpness. And digital scans of the negative will look sharper than a telecine or a photochemical print.

To me Super 16 and 2 perf 35 are two very different paint brushes. Both formats are similar in cost as you get 22 min at 2 perf 35 for a 100 ft mag and you get 11 or so minutes /400 ft mag on SS16 (Super 16mm still is cheaper, but its not a CRAZY difference).

To me the looks are very different. I adore super 16mm, and wouldn't be afraid of the grain, its lovely. That being said, its not for everything. Sure, my initial thought is to go w/ 2 perf 35 because it is a much wider format and we are talking about landscapes, but then again good cinematography isn't always about going with the most obvious choice, so I would explore both. They are both two of my favorite formats.

Also I would heavily consider the type of shoot you are on, as it is much easier to throw a 416 on your shoulder although there are some lighter weight 2 perf options too, especially w/ 400 ft mags. I had this very same decision this fall, and because of camera avail I went with ss16 and a 416 and fell back in love with 16mm. I wouldn't count it out.

Happy shooting!