Jump to content

Looking for a Eclair Cameflex motor


Walt van der Aar

Recommended Posts

Hey Walt,

On the main page showing all the sub forums there is >Cameras Systems and Formats>Eclair...quite an active group with a couple of electronics guys and maybe some Cameflex knowledge..Show the photo there... (Edit: the marketplace forum has high traffic and you will be lost downstream in a day or two.)

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/forum/76-eclair/

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, Walt van der Aar said:

I'm not sure. Does this help?

Schermafbeelding 2023-11-05 om 19.44.17.png

Some kind of old synchronous motor. You can run it from single phase 220v by connecting one of the motor phases with capacitor. Pretty simple modification but can be very dangerous if done wrong so let a certified electrician do the job. Things like small industrial/agriculture fans, laundry machines etc. use similar kind of capacitor arrangement and any electrician familiar with those can do the modification for you.

Cameflexes never had brushless motors, they are 40's/50's cameras and brushless technology was not available for cameras back then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

Cameflexes never had brushless motors, they are 40's/50's cameras and brushless technology was not available for cameras back then

I suggested that because I thought that he might have been given some more recent aftermarket (maybe even crystal sync) motor without its control unit. Once seeing the picture it obviously became clear that that is not the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 11:28 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Some kind of old synchronous motor. You can run it from single phase 220v by connecting one of the motor phases with capacitor. Pretty simple modification but can be very dangerous if done wrong so let a certified electrician do the job. Things like small industrial/agriculture fans, laundry machines etc. use similar kind of capacitor arrangement and any electrician familiar with those can do the modification for you.

Cameflexes never had brushless motors, they are 40's/50's cameras and brushless technology was not available for cameras back then

Thanks for your response. I've read somewhere that it's possible but I will lose about 30% of motor power. Is that true?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Duncan Brown said:

I know nothing at all about this era Eclair, but is this a suitable motor for your camera?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145044427703

(Not mine, just saw it in passing and remembered this thread.)

Duncan

Thanks and it's definitely the kind of motor I'm looking for. Unfortunately in the description it says it needs a service. So I'm not sure whether to buy it and take the risk. Thanks anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

Well a motor that needs work is much closer to being a working motor than no motor at all!  (Or one that needs 3-phase power, yikes!)  If I had to guess, I bet the 12-27V upconverter is the problem.  Most of these old motors need a whole bunch of amps, and little converter boxes like that are rarely up to the task.  I bet a real 27V battery belt would have that thing flying.  But, as you say, a lot of money to risk on a guess,.

Duncan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Duncan Brown said:

Well a motor that needs work is much closer to being a working motor than no motor at all!  (Or one that needs 3-phase power, yikes!)  If I had to guess, I bet the 12-27V upconverter is the problem.  Most of these old motors need a whole bunch of amps, and little converter boxes like that are rarely up to the task.  I bet a real 27V battery belt would have that thing flying.  But, as you say, a lot of money to risk on a guess,.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan. I'm gonna dive into the matter and think about it. Thanks for the advice. Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick note about the 12-27v up converter, it's rated at 20A so plenty enough to power the motor.  It runs 30fps without a mag but only 16fps with a full load or 35mm (400'). The trouble with old motors is that sometimes the windings disintegrate over time and this motor is over 50 years old.  I have a friend who has a fully working one that has the same up converter as the one in this photo (sticking up behind the motor and about the same size):

image.thumb.jpeg.6e1d53617d6648008b97380ab0b9e3da.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Dear Walt,

Your motor seems to be similar to one, I bought a few years ago.

Mine is marked:

220 VOLTS

3 PHASES

50CY - 3000R

25 FRAMES

No 220

MADE IN FRANCE

My motor's cables have three colours: Red, blue and green.

Sine I also had problems to make it run, I gave it to a very experienced electrician.

The electrician used a capacitor, marked:

WB4060 MK SH

6μF +/-5% SO

AC 400V B

AC 450V C

40/085/21

50-60Hz

(Currently I have problems with uploading pictures.)

He attached the capacitor`s blue cable to the motor's green.

And the capacitor`s brown to the motor's red.

With croco clamps he gave current to the wired cables blue/green and to the motor's blue cable.

It ran!

Please, do not regard this as an instruction. Safety first!

But maybe it helps somehow.

All best,

Christos

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...