My 'new' CP-16R finally arrived

Guest 3ldfilms

Guest 3ldfilms

Hi everyone,

My long-delayed CP-16R purchase from ebay has finally arrived with mix results.

I charged the batteries overnight and one of them appears to be virtually dead (contrary to the auction). When I place the good battery battery inside the camera, it starts to run at any speed EXCEPT 24 whether or not the red button is set to run or stop. And 24 will still NOT run when the red button is set to run.

Has anyone heard of it doing this? While I am new to 16mm cameras I'm sure this isn't right. Could it be a power issue?

The battery test indicator shows that one of the batteries has about a 75% charge (it displays this whether I push the battery test button or not) and the other reads as having no charge (though the camera starts to spin at ANY speed briefly when I put the battery in).

I'm suspecting that this "Perfect Condition" camera is anything but.

I'm really hoping that I'm just missing something or doing something stupid.

Does any one know where I can find a manual online? I tried goolgling without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

I charged the batteries overnight and one of them appears to be virtually dead (contrary to the auction). When I place the good battery battery inside the camera, it starts to run at any speed EXCEPT 24 whether or not the red button is set to run or stop. And 24 will still NOT run when the red button is set to run.

Has anyone heard of it doing this? While I am new to 16mm cameras I'm sure this isn't right. Could it be a power issue?

The battery test indicator shows that one of the batteries has about a 75% charge (it displays this whether I push the battery test button or not) and the other reads as having no charge (though the camera starts to spin at ANY speed briefly when I put the battery in).

Does any one know where I can find a manual online? I tried goolgling without success.

Ed

Sounds like your batteries need re-celled. It's only to be expected if they've not been used for some time. There are companies that replace the cells inside camera batteries. Check out Whitehouse A.V.

I've never seen a manual for a CP16R, learning these older cameras was always a word of mouth thing. The most you got was the threading diagram. The "Professional Cameraman's Handbook" has info on the CP16.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Congrats. Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CP-16R-Service-Manual-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that works. If the link doesn't work just try a search with CP 16 + instructions and look around the related searches links. There's a guy/company selling "service manuals" on there constantly. Best of luck.

Guest 3ldfilms

What I mean is that the camera runs even when it is set to STOP. But when I set it to 24 it wont' run whether I push STOP or RUN

Ed

Guest 3ldfilms

A couple more questions.

What does the red light next to the viewfinder indicate?

Any suggestions on places to get the batteries recelled?

Thanks again,

Ed

Guest 3ldfilms
The light means it's running.

I really HOPE its just cause the batteries are screwed...but the red light comes on even though it's not runnning (and when it is).

• Premium Member
Whitehouse AV is no longer the place to go for CP-16 cameras. Go to visualproducts.com and ask for Paul. He used to work at Whitehouse and is the CP-16 guru.

Mitch,

Which Paul, I think there are three of them there now. Never seen so many Paul's working in such a small shop.

-Tim

Hey Ed,

Congrats. Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CP-16R-Service-Manual-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that works. If the link doesn't work just try a search with CP 16 + instructions and look around the related searches links. There's a guy/company selling "service manuals" on there constantly. Best of luck.

Be very careful of that guy. Some of the manuals he auctions off are fake. The one I know for sure is a scam is his Arriflex 16S service manual, since no such manual ever existed and I talked with someone who won his auction for one, and he said it was a total crock. Bad xerox of the PDF users manual available online and nothing more. He is a real "Buyer Beware" seller.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member
A couple more questions.

What does the red light next to the viewfinder indicate?

Any suggestions on places to get the batteries recelled?

Thanks again,

Ed

The light indicates when the camera is running, but is not at sync speed. When you start the camera it should turn on, then off in about a second when the camera reaches speed.

Make sure you check both run buttons to make sure they're both turned off.

Guest 3ldfilms
The light indicates when the camera is running, but is not at sync speed. When you start the camera it should turn on, then off in about a second when the camera reaches speed.

Make sure you check both run buttons to make sure they're both turned off.

I have tried flicking both the red run/stop button on the back as well as the button on the pistol grip and neither seems to have any affect on the cameras movements.

Is it possible that this is a result of a battery issue? Or is the camera likely screwed?

Ed

I have tried flicking both the red run/stop button on the back as well as the button on the pistol grip and neither seems to have any affect on the cameras movements.

Is it possible that this is a result of a battery issue? Or is the camera likely screwed?

Ed

You have to check faults by removing the possible causes one at a time. At the moment you need to know if the camera runs correctly when it's supplied with power from a battery that's known to be in a good charged condition.

Another option is to take it to a good electronics workshop and let them check it with a 20V power supply. However, check that they connect it correctly, since I don't think the batteries are marked + & - on their cases (at least I can't remember if they are).

It's possible the camera may have a couple of faults, but the red light remaining on is caused by a low battery.

Another point is that to run quietly the CP16 needs regular servicing; they get noisy unless correctly lubricated.

• 2 months later...

Just to let everybody know, I've got several different tech service manuals for the CP-16:

CP-16R Reflex OPERATION & MAINTENANCE MANUAL

TECHNICAL MANUAL j-r Zoom Control and Bracketry

TECHNICAL MANUAL cp-16;CP-16A SOUND CAMERAS and ACCESSORIES

TECHNICAL MANUAL CP-16R EXPOSURE CONTROL SYSTEM SEMI-AND FULLY AUTOMATIC

TECHNICAL MANUAL CP-16R AND CP16R/A SOUND CAMERAS

CP-16/A Crystasound recording system technical manual

Addendum to: CP-16R Reflex Operation & Maintenance Manual

CP-16 16mm sound camera technical manual

Let me know if I can be of help to anyone!

I have tried flicking both the red run/stop button on the back as well as the button on the pistol grip and neither seems to have any affect on the cameras movements....

Seems to me the CP-16R has a flag to stop running in the viewing position. If the flag is gone or the photocell is shot, or the camera logic is messed up, it will not sense the flag and will keep running.

Dear Mr Tiger,

I am looking for a straight user manual, a service manual that covers basic maintenance, right the way through to stripping the camera down to its bare bones. So I would love to see...

CP-16R Reflex OPERATION & MAINTENANCE MANUAL

TECHNICAL MANUAL CP-16R AND CP16R/A SOUND CAMERAS

Addendum to: CP-16R Reflex Operation & Maintenance Manual

If you could make these available it would be fantastic... virtually every camera seems to have online resources except the CP16R... you would be doing a great service too a number of people if you were to scan these and put them online...

Can anybody give me a quick answer on this? I have no battery for my wreck and want to rig one up to see if the camera even takes power. What is the polarity of the camera... top 'pin' a plus (+) or the (-)minus....

Thanks

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

It?s been about ten years sense I used one, but if you remove the left side of the body housing, you will uncover the drive belts and the mane circuit board. As has been said, use a good battery, and you can inspect the belts wile it is running. If the belts are missing teeth, it will not hold sync.

Also, you should blow out that side, and make sure that the board has no discolored arias on it.

White house stopped dealing with the CP around 95/96 and I had to call Cinema Products to get new belts. They are still in Culver City, but I don?t know if they still have much stock.

• Premium Member

Ed

Hello,

It has been my experience that the camera will not run whatsoever if the polarity is switched. In fact, switching the polarity is a quick way to ruin your camera. All battery housings have the polarity marked, simply put a meter across and verify this polarization for your NC-4 camera battery. The little white memory battery leaks in this camera, (same one that the GSMO has) and may have caused the board to need repairing.

Your camera can be fixed, but it will need to go to a shop.

BTW Whitehouse Audio Visual still repairs these cameras.

ken@whitehouseaudiovisual

• Premium Member
It?s been about ten years sense I used one, but if you remove the left side of the body housing, you will uncover the drive belts and the mane circuit board. As has been said, use a good battery, and you can inspect the belts wile it is running. If the belts are missing teeth, it will not hold sync.

Also, you should blow out that side, and make sure that the board has no discolored arias on it.

White house stopped dealing with the CP around 95/96 and I had to call Cinema Products to get new belts. They are still in Culver City, but I don?t know if they still have much stock.

Hello,

If the toothed caterpillar belt is missing teeth, then the film will not take up properly, and your camera will fill up with film. Never, ever, blow out the bits inside, this may cause particles to get into the front mechanism and will cause the camera to become noisy. Please tip the camera and let the pieces fall out.

Whitehouse Audio Visual has been supplying new belts for CP cameras since the mid eighties, and still does.

Best regards,

ken@whitehouseaudiovisual.com

Best thing is to call either Paul Hillman at Visual Products, or Ken at Whitehouse.

I've used Paul many times for my CP, and he's an amazing camera tech.

The ON/OFF switches on the back and handle BOTH will turn the camera on.

Either of them. If the back one is on, then it's irrelevant what you do with the handle switch.

It's weird that it won't run at 24fps though, that sounds like the most serious problem you have, and one that likely you won't be able to fix, unless you're plenty clever.

The red LED by the viewfinder tells you when the camera is not in sync. It will go on for second or so when you start the camera, and again when you shut it off. There's also one inside the viewfinder that does the exact same thing.

It is NOT to tell you when your camera is running.

I'd at the very least ask the seller to contribute some to getting recelled batteries, if he didn't make any mention of them not being in good shape, but that's iffy.

MP