The blimp for BOLEX, made by myself.

Hau-Jou Chiou

• Premium Member
My Bolex with Tobin crytal motor, so I could not find the original blimp for that. I try the blimp made by myself and the noise almost reduced.

http://homepage.mac.com/digitalizecinema/PhotoAlbum39.html

There is the pictures in my website.

That's pretty cool Hau-Jou. I tried to make a blimp for a Bolex EBM about five years ago and it was a dismal failure. Your's looks like it might actually work pretty well. How much does it quiet down the camera?

-Tim

That's pretty cool Hau-Jou. I tried to make a blimp for a Bolex EBM about five years ago and it was a dismal failure. Your's looks like it might actually work pretty well. How much does it quiet down the camera?

-Tim

As my test, the noise is a little bit louder than my powermac G5's fans in a small room in night.

But a little noise I record could be easy to reduce by Soundtrack Pro, and don not influence the human voice.

I am trying to reduce the less noise by covering the close-grained and light cloth on my blimp.

I applaud your efforts. Those pictures look great. It's always beneficial to think creatively before spending $. (upgrading to quieter camera)

I am designing a completely sound-proof housing for my Bolex EBM. It is quite large, but will hopefully work well for shooting sync-sound (stationary) scenes such as master shots, etc. Will post results.

http://homepage.mac.com/digitalizecinema/i...eTheater40.html

this is the test clip.

the sound recorded with digital camera movie mode in very noiseless Sunday morning.

It's not professional and good microphone.

Hau-Jou Chiou,

What material is that? Very sweet looking blimp BTW.

Is it possible to post Mp3 of the camera running in the blimp?

• Premium Member
http://homepage.mac.com/digitalizecinema/i...eTheater40.html

this is the test clip.

the sound recorded with digital camera movie mode in very noiseless Sunday morning.

It's not professional and good microphone.

Assuming the blimp incorporates velcro, could you "quietly" unflap part of blimp during your test, sort of an "on off, on off" motiff? I like the white, although it will get dirty at some point but it probably keeps the camera cooler for location work. Have you done tests with filters that might deaden any sound that would come through the lens itself? Do filters help reduce lens noise any signficant amount?

I'm skeptical that is the actual tripod you use with the camera, that's got to be an accident waiting to happen.

Assuming the blimp incorporates velcro, could you "quietly" unflap part of blimp during your test, sort of an "on off, on off" motiff? I like the white, although it will get dirty at some point but it probably keeps the camera cooler for location work. Have you done tests with filters that might deaden any sound that would come through the lens itself? Do filters help reduce lens noise any signficant amount?

I'm skeptical that is the actual tripod you use with the camera, that's got to be an accident waiting to happen.

I think that tripod is sufficient to hold a Bolex. I use an even crappier photo tripod :-).

When my MD come back to me I will do more accurate test with film and professional microphone.

And I think the tripod is OK for Bolex operation.

• Premium Member
Hello Alessandro

What do you mean by dampening?

I am reajusting a leather barney for my Aaton III

The one I have know is vey good for hand held, but

when I take the bottam part off to work on the tripode,

the noise slips out.

Lucas Loureiro

I'm not referring to sound dampening, but counterbalance dampening.

I'm most familar with Sachtler Tripods. Sachtler heads provide "dampening" counterweight functions that literally allow one to balance the camera, tilt down, and let go and the tripod head will stay perfectly still even in the tilted down position. If you've ever done live-event videography where the camera is completely zoomed in, I've found not touching the camera at all is the steadiest method when the shot is stationary for a significant amount of time. This technique is not possible with lower end tripods.

Additionally, with a lens that sticks out as far as the one in the picture of the Bolex, if one should forget to lock off the tripod head, the camera can tilt down and depending on circumstances could actually tip over as a result. Maybe the tripod head is bigger than it appears to be in the picture provided.

sorry,my .Mac space data usage is too high, so they close my website.

If you want to see you can send E-mail to me.

And I will mail photos to you.

I couldn't see the link and I would really like to see it. Am I the only one who can't do that? Hope you can help!

Steve Jobs _CAN_ afford bandwidth! - Unreal, they closed your website...

Is it for this month only?

".Mac, share your pictures and movies.... just not with too many people at once... "

Figures.

And I rather enjoyed the two quicktime films you had posted.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov

I can't see anything with the link either. I thought it was because I'm on a PC. So you're saying it's actually a Mac problem.

Hau-Jou Chiou, did you know you can directly place pics in your post?

For example, here are pics of my camera...

Picture_009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I applaud your efforts. Those pictures look great. It's always beneficial to think creatively before spending $. (upgrading to quieter camera)

I am designing a completely sound-proof housing for my Bolex EBM. It is quite large, but will hopefully work well for shooting sync-sound (stationary) scenes such as master shots, etc. Will post results.

About your sound proof housong for EBM, do you gey it done? If so, what's results?

I thought I would share a couple of photos of my Bolex H16 in a Mitchell-16 blimp.

bolex-h16_blimp4.jpg

bolex-h16_blimp3.jpg

The viewfinder is from a Mitchell 35mm BNC camera and is a vast improvement over the parallel view finder on the bolex. Still have to pull tape for focus but I do that anyway. The follow focus system requires a gear ring that I don't have (and I dont want to take the time to machine one so I used a stiff ruber belt that works pretty well. I did have to make some specialadaptors for the auto prallax adjustment but they were simple enough to figure out and can be machined from rigid plastic instead of metal. I think it would be really cool if I had one of those tobin crystal motors for the set-up. Then it would be a real studio camera :lol:

If you are wondering I have never used used this system. I just put it together to see if I could.