The Dark Knight

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
It's 24 fps worldwide.

25 fps is pretty rare even in 35 mm projection in PAL countries. At festivals, we do get some prints of films that were primarily shot for the TV/video market, and these have sometimes been marked as "please project at 25 fps". But more often than not, even those prints are projected at standard speed, as most projectors are not equipped for any speed other than 24 fps.

Hi,

I think you would be surprised how many cinemas in Europe project at 25fps.

Stephen

I think you would be surprised how many cinemas in Europe project at 25fps.

OK, it's not the first time I've heard this, so I don't really doubt you. Still, I've never seen a projector (outside a festival setting) that was deliberately set up to run at 25 fps - though I admit I've mostly been to Scandinavian projection booths. Maybe it's different over there in Central Europe?

By far, most 35 mm set-ups I've ever seen don't have any speed adjustment, which also makes it impossible to run most silent films at the correct speed without modification. Or do you mean that a lot of projectors would be factory-built to run at 25 fps?

I've noticed, though, that the running times do vary a bit even between projectors at the same multiplex, particularly older ones. The speed just doesn't seem to be that exact.

(Sorry for the off-topic, but this is interesting...)

There was a "how it's made" episode on History channel or Science Channel or somewhere that had how a IMAX projector is made as one of the segments... too Fu**king cool! I was all droolie by the end, glass vacuum plate gate and huge circular spinning movement and all....

-Rob-

If you're ever in Tampa, FL go to the Museum of Science and Industry. Their IMAX projection room has a glass wall to the back, so you can see EVERYTHING!

Guest Glen Alexander
At least here in the States, figure $1 or more a foot, and 15/4 of 90 feet per minute is 337' 6"/minute at 24 fps. Double that if you're shooting in 3D. Figure processing costs of at least 20¢/foot. So $1.30/foot x 337'6" = almost $440/min. just to shoot and process. I have no idea how much a daily would cost. Color timing costs should be comparable, but figure a little extra because the equipment is specialty, they have to use vacuum locsk to keep such big negatives flat, and they have to maintain machines that don't get nearly as much mileage as your average 35mm printer.

Pretty pricey stuff. $24,000 was what I saw quoted for a feature-length print, not including timing costs, 2D. So if you sell your car, you can make an Imax print; if you sell your house you can shoot your movie on Imax!

So would you guess about 10 to 12K USD per shooting minute?

So would you guess about 10 to 12K USD per shooting minute?

Glen: I'm sorry, but I have no idea. All I've ever worked with has been 8- and 16mm. I've never worked on a film that has seen any sort of theatrical run.

I'd say, if you took the standard cost of 35mm anamorphic and multiplied it by 7 1/2 or 8, not including the additional cost of lights (6x7 lenses top out at about T-2.8) or the additional cost of 5.6- or 8K scanning for FX shots, that would be pretty accurate. So shooting minute of 35mm anamorphic times 7 or 8 for a rough estimate, not taking into account differences i camera rental, crew requirements, lights, dailies, or scanning.

Does anyone have more detailed information to offer?

I'm thinking about seeing it in imax but I've never been to imax before. Does it give you the unpleasant feeling like you're watching a regular movie sitting in the front row?

No, I'd say that that is more like Omnimax. Take this with a grain of salt though. Unless the screen is really really big I always sit in or near the front row when I go to the movies.

• Premium Member

For regular movies blown-up to IMAX, I sit a little further back, like 2/3's back, because the framing looks too tight on a giant screen otherwise. For IMAX-shot movies, I tend to sit halfway back.

In regular movie theaters, I tend to sit between the front third and middle rows. Nowadays that is right around the wide aisle, or right behind it, one row up, for handicapped seating in modern stadium style theaters.

Though for "Cloverfield" I had to move back afterawhile because of motion sickness...

If you're ever in Tampa, FL go to the Museum of Science and Industry. Their IMAX projection room has a glass wall to the back, so you can see EVERYTHING!

IMAX projectors won't be as impressive when they become toy-like boxes that can wheeled around on an A/V cart.

Edited by Joe Taylor

Guest Glen Alexander

Why doesn't someone come up with a good film to show a planetarium? 360 deg by 120deg, swallowed/absorbed by the experience of the film instead of a nice lightshow.

For regular movies blown-up to IMAX, I sit a little further back, like 2/3's back, because the framing looks too tight on a giant screen otherwise. For IMAX-shot movies, I tend to sit halfway back.

In regular movie theaters, I tend to sit between the front third and middle rows. Nowadays that is right around the wide aisle, or right behind it, one row up, for handicapped seating in modern stadium style theaters.

Though for "Cloverfield" I had to move back afterawhile because of motion sickness...

Good words of advice David. Where should I sit then? :D

By far, most 35 mm set-ups I've ever seen don't have any speed adjustment, which also makes it impossible to run most silent films at the correct speed without modification. Or do you mean that a lot of projectors would be factory-built to run at 25 fps?

The Kinotons (including 16mm models) I've seen all had a switchable 25 fps option.

-Sam

I cannot begin to describe my appreciation of this movie.

I won't even try.

I thought that the good reviews were just an ode to Heath Ledger, but he truely was INCREDIBLE. so convincing.

Heath Ledger, R.I.P.

• Premium Member
Why doesn't someone come up with a good film to show a planetarium? 360 deg by 120deg, swallowed/absorbed by the experience of the film instead of a nice lightshow.

No film could compete with so many stars.

Havent seen any adds for Imax presentation here yet but as we only really have one here in third world London ,must be there ? . Well there is another screen at The Science Museum but that tends to show bug and shark type films . sigh.

Guest Stephen Murphy
Havent seen any adds for Imax presentation here yet but as we only really have one here in third world London ,must be there ? . Well there is another screen at The Science Museum but that tends to show bug and shark type films . sigh.

The London Imax has batman dark knight from next week. most of the shows are sold out for the first few nights.

Why do we feel motion sickness with hand held but not with steadycam shots. Does anyone know why?

A friend of mine is shooting something for that format - they are traveling around the world shooting various cityscapes and environments to be projected in planetarium style theaters.