Digital vs Film as it stands right now

Jason Anderson

• Premium Member

Whoa David...and Michael! Comeon fellows, both of you are decent folk so let's chalk this one up to a misunderstanding that got way out of hand.

I place the blame for all of this on ridiculous thread topics that start as an attempt to lure reasonable folk into raving lunatics who can't wait to turn on one another. Michael and David are two film guys and true to it. No use feuding at the expense of a digitally biased thread...we know it's always the digital guys that start these threads.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Dude, English is actually only my third language which I learned really when I came to the UK quite recently. So your point misses out here, as I am bound to make plenty of mistakes all the time: grammar, spelling, phonetic typos. Nevertheless, I have to make a career in the UK among many clever people, so the heat here is on my side, particularly here in LDN.

BTW: insults work best when you do get personal, so background-reseaching for personal dirt is the best way to go about that.

-ML

The Michael-Rat drowns because it got off the bloody ship too late. *blublub*

Activates IGNORE THREAD feature.

we know it's always the digital guys that start these threads.

Hah, awesome, that's the bestest way to quell the flames in an argument.

Guys guys, can't we all get along? if it wasn't for you idiots supporting digital, everything would be hunky dory! Why can't you stupid digital supporters just shut the fu** up, so we can get along peacefully?

• Premium Member

Guys guys, can't we all get along? if it wasn't for you idiots supporting digital, everything would be hunky dory! Why can't you stupid digital supporters just shut the fu** up, so we can get along peacefully?

Ruairi, I don't think you have ever made so much sense. ;)

• Premium Member
P.S.: I am sure someone will chime in shortly with the statement that really the Titanic sank rather slowly and hence the comparison sucks... I wonder who...

Well, since you asked for it ....

With Titanic, you get to have it both ways. The ship remained on the surface for two hours forty minutes after impact, then broke into two pieces. The bow settled slowly, like a falling leaf, and is therefore intact on the bottom. The stern went straight down, and therefore hit the bottom much harder.

With moving images, you also get to have it both ways. Shoot film, shoot digital, they both work. Pick the price/performance point that fits your project. You can even intercut them in the same show if you want. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
With the need for higher resolution and CRT production being discontinued, I'm thinking we may do better to go to chip based front projection for monitoring.

-- J.S.

Yea, it's not like we have control over our technological destinies. We're just a bunch of guys trying to make something creative or meaningful out of the machines that are available to us. We cobble together equipment and hope something good and worthy will pour out of it. I don't know who makes the decisions about what equipment to press out of the stampers in Taiwan and China, but they obviously don't ask people like you or me about it.

• Premium Member
Dude, English is actually only my third language which I learned really when I came to the UK quite recently. So your point misses out here, as I am bound to make plenty of mistakes all the time: grammar, spelling, phonetic typos. Nevertheless, I have to make a career in the UK among many clever people, so the heat here is on my side, particularly here in LDN.

BTW: insults work best when you do get personal, so background-reseaching for personal dirt is the best way to go about that.

-ML

The Michael-Rat drowns because it got off the bloody ship too late. *blublub*

Activates IGNORE THREAD feature.

I don't really care how many langauges you can speak, your string of posts still sounds to me like some sort of meaningless Post-Modernist rant. 57 channels and there's nothin' on :lol:

I tacked them them all together into one file, with other people's quotes and your responses, and the bloody document was 18 pages long! (It's attached if anybody wants to wade through it)

I still have no idea what your point is, or if there even is one.

Other people here can get their syco-fix if they wish by pretending it makes sense to them, but to me it's a bunch of the Emperor's mouldy old clothes.

lenhert.txt

• Premium Member
I think you are trying hard to beat out Keith and Phil as the most condescending person on this forum. However, you lack the sheer arrogance that only British people can have toward Americans. :lol:

<It-ain't-alf-hot-Mum type Indian accent>

We "British" have standards that must be maintained!

</accent>

Why do you think all my posts end with a Sydney weather report. Go on, take a stab.

• Premium Member
I don't know who makes the decisions about what equipment to press out of the stampers in Taiwan and China, ....

At least where monitors are concerned, it's environmentalists and bean counters. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
<It-ain't-alf-hot-Mum type Indian accent>

We "British" have standards that must be maintained!

</accent>

Why do you think all my posts end with a Sydney weather report. Go on, take a stab.

Keith, I was actually more referring to Phil in that post. However, Aussies as yourself seem to lean more toward the British end of the spectrum in attitude as opposed to leaning toward the American end. Also, do I have to remind you that you are still a Commonwealth?

Also, do I have to remind you that you are still a Commonwealth?

And that your flag has the Union Jack embedded in it? ;)

Then again, so does Hawai'i's.

I think there is a lot to hate about the United States. We do tend to have an arrogant attitude and a sense of entitlement. But I would hope that we are judged individually, not as a nation.

I highly doubt that individuals in this thread are being singled out because of their national affiliations.

And that your flag has the Union Jack embedded in it? ;)

Then again, so does Hawai'i's.

I think there is a lot to hate about the United States. We do tend to have an arrogant attitude and a sense of entitlement. But I would hope that we are judged individually, not as a nation.

I highly doubt that individuals in this thread are being singled out because of their national affiliations.

I hate your freedomz.

• Premium Member
Keith, I was actually more referring to Phil in that post. However, Aussies as yourself seem to lean more toward the British end of the spectrum in attitude as opposed to leaning toward the American end. Also, do I have to remind you that you are still a Commonwealth?

Am I supposed by devastated by that withering riposte :lol:

The only reason we are technically still part of the British Empire is that removing the function of the Queen of England as also Queen of Australia would require our constitution to be rewritten. That would require all Australians voting a referendum, and historically, very few of these ever succeed.

And the reason they never succeed is that every time a referendum is mooted, every ratbag single-issue pressure group comes out of the woodwork and makes a big noise trying to slip their two cents' worth of agenda into what the new constitution should be. The general public (quite rightly in my opinion) get worried about what other Trojan Horses the government might try to slide past, and say "no".

In fact the only referendum of any consequence that has ever succeeded was the one in 1967 that granted Aborigines full citizenship and voting rights.

Every other tie with Britian has been severed by simultaneous acts of Parliament in both countries. The Queen is represented by the Australian Governer-general, and he/she has only two major functions: To order the Federal government to hold a new elections if they behave improperly (and this has only ever happened once), and to rubber-stamp any Military action ny Australia's armed forces. The military swear allegiance to the Queen, not the Federal government, that way if the Government tried to suspend democracy for any reason, the Military would simply arrest them.

As it is, our present system offers no impediment in the day-to-day activities of the vast majority of Australian citizens (new and old), and a major impediment to those with unhealthy agendas.

I'm fine with that.

• Site Sponsor
Keith, that sounds better than what we've got, and what we're gonna get. Is there any way we could have a Queen instead? ;-)

Wasn't our current leader a cheerleader at Andover and Yale in the 1950's? that's not close enough to a queen? maybe you have to catch him in an airport bathroom.

Heh Heh.....

-Rob-

Wasn't our current leader a cheerleader at Andover and Yale in the 1950's? that's not close enough to a queen? maybe you have to catch him in an airport bathroom.

Heh Heh.....

-Rob-

His college nickname was "Lips" for his, er, nevermind...

Edited by Nate Downes

Am I supposed by devastated by that withering riposte :lol:

The only reason we are technically still part of the British Empire is that removing the function of the Queen of England as also Queen of Australia would require our constitution to be rewritten. That would require all Australians voting a referendum, and historically, very few of these ever succeed.

And the reason they never succeed is that every time a referendum is mooted, every ratbag single-issue pressure group comes out of the woodwork and makes a big noise trying to slip their two cents' worth of agenda into what the new constitution should be. The general public (quite rightly in my opinion) get worried about what other Trojan Horses the government might try to slide past, and say "no".

In fact the only referendum of any consequence that has ever succeeded was the one in 1967 that granted Aborigines full citizenship and voting rights.

Every other tie with Britian has been severed by simultaneous acts of Parliament in both countries. The Queen is represented by the Australian Governer-general, and he/she has only two major functions: To order the Federal government to hold a new elections if they behave improperly (and this has only ever happened once), and to rubber-stamp any Military action ny Australia's armed forces. The military swear allegiance to the Queen, not the Federal government, that way if the Government tried to suspend democracy for any reason, the Military would simply arrest them.

As it is, our present system offers no impediment in the day-to-day activities of the vast majority of Australian citizens (new and old), and a major impediment to those with unhealthy agendas.

I'm fine with that.

I want all Canadian politicians to swing from the gallows. Bring back the British monarchy to Canada to reign with absolute power, good grief there is no way Canada could be worse off.

Just this week I discovered that Canada has six film ratings boards, and approval is needed from the five English boards to distribute a DVD in Canada. Quebec of course has their own system that no one can figure out. All this for a country of 32 million people.

Mean while the USA with its 300 million people has one ratings board for the entire country.

This is the kind of stupidity in Canada that an absolute monarch could get rid of with the stroke of a pen. Politicians are far too stupid and weak in Canada to abolish idiotic systems like this.

Now back to film v digital.

R,

• Site Sponsor
Mean while the USA with its 300 million people has one ratings board for the entire country.

Yes our great American political system is a model of simplicity and free market efficiency.

You may not know this (as the past seven years has been so smooth and trouble free) but we are currently being led by a monarchist. Thats right a just, wise and intelligent thinker who was sent by divine providence to rule over us with a noble hand. ;)

My recommendation to you kanaideins is to find a suitable candidate, really any well dressed byproduct of a brother-sister union will do, and turn him loose with absolute power, no more problems with your ratings board(s) and a nice set of decorative heads on spikes at the gates to Toronto, perfect.

-Rob-

Dear Cinematographers,

Please pardon me if I sound too foolish to ask such a question. I am very new to film making. I hope if some one can explain me what RED and latitude mean, which I see in your discussions here. I also hope if some one could help me with composition of a shot and explain how the blue/green croma key works

Thanks

• Premium Member
Dear Cinematographers,

Please pardon me if I sound too foolish to ask such a question. I am very new to film making. I hope if some one can explain me what RED and latitude mean, which I see in your discussions here. I also hope if some one could help me with composition of a shot and explain how the blue/green croma key works

Thanks

Hi,

Red is one of 3 primary colours, there is also a new Digital camera called the Red One. The makers claim a dynamic range (incorrectly refered to as latitude) of 11.3 stops. I and others have made extensive tests and never seen more than 9 stops with daylight & neared 8 stops with artificial light. There are great hopes for a new software Build 16 but as yet it's still in beta so I have not yet tested it extensively.

Blue/Green screen works by replacing the colored backgroung with another image, used extensively from News TV to special effects films. I am sure the search function on this site will be useful for meor details.

Stephen

Dear Cinematographers,

Thanks

RED is a brand of camera.

Lattitude is the range between the lightest whites and the darkest blacks. THe more lattitude you have, the more control you have over the product, and the harder to mess up a shot you have as you have more room to fix it with.

• Premium Member
I was under the idea that Arriscan could do 6K. They scan at 6K and break it down to 4K, commonly.

Technically they actually do a 3K scan...twice....and they offset the scanner between each scan. And yes. They actually physically offset the scanner..not electronically. It moves between scans.

jb

• Premium Member
Keith, that sounds better than what we've got, and what we're gonna get. Is there any way we could have a Queen instead? ;-)

-- J.S.

Now now, you blokes had exactly the same king as we did. You only had to wait and a queen would have come along eventually, but no-o-o-o-o ... you wanted to play revolutionaries and play fifies and drums and all that "one-if-by-land, two-if-by-sea" stuff.

Well you've buttered your own toast, now you have to lie in it!

• Premium Member
Lattitude is the range between the lightest whites and the darkest blacks. THe more lattitude you have, the more control you have over the product, and the harder to mess up a shot you have as you have more room to fix it with.

I thought "Latitude" had something to do with how far from the equator you are.