The end of Red One waiting list

Stephen Williams

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I wonder if the the wait list is for the Epic is forming in its place...

I believe that you won't be able to buy an Epic until all current RED One owners have had an option at buying one. I believe it won't quite be the same way with the Scarlet because Jim has said in the past that they are going to make enough to begin with (and should be easier to make than the RED One)

Matthew

Does that actually mean they've delivered 4750+ cameras already? I was under the impression that some people haven't taken delivery of their cameras yet and were holding out until the camera wasn't so 'subject-to-change'.

Edited by Will Earl

• Premium Member
A lot of RED's have been sold and delivered, but I don't think the serial numbers exactly match the number of units out there.

Hi David,

The serial no's are based on reservations & orders, not delivered cameras. As the potential premium on cameras have now evaporated some of the speculative purchasers will have not taken delivery.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hm, five and a half thousand units. I wonder if they've made one that actually does everything they initially promised to have "in a year".

P

Well if I'm reading Reduser correctly, on Nov 13 they are going to release a render of the Scarlet that has everything one could possible desire of a render and more!

Some of the more rabid fanboys there sound like they might be preparing to cyber-camp outside the Reduser website just so they can fight for the privelege of being the first to congratulate them at 00:00 Nov 13 2008. Haven't seen anything like this since Windows 95 came out :lol:

Edited by Keith Walters

• Premium Member
Hi David,

The serial no's are based on reservations & orders, not delivered cameras. As the potential premium on cameras have now evaporated some of the speculative purchasers will have not taken delivery.

Stephen

At one point JJ said that not a single person had taken them up on the offer of a refund of their $1,000 deposit +10%. It would be interesting to know if that has changed.

Everything is subject to change....

(Except for the drinks machine at work which never has any :lol: )

Well if I'm reading Reduser correctly, on Nov 13 they are going to release a render of the Scarlet that has everything one could possible desire of a render and more!

Some of the more rabid fanboys there sound like they might be preparing to cyber-camp outside the Reduser website just so they can fight for the privelege of being the first to congratulate them at 00:00 Nov 13 2008. Haven't seen anything like this since Windows 95 came out :lol:

That one was funny. KW... Just for your information, a few of customers are not fanboys. Standards taken, don't count all supporters will be there.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that last time Jannard posted some "renders" he actually delivered a revolutionary camera?

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that last time Jannard posted some "renders" he actually delivered a revolutionary camera?

I'm hoping that the new renders will reveal more ergonomic designs than the current Epic and Scarlet renders. This has been a weak point of the current revolutionary camera and something that the 3rd party manufacturers have been fixing piece meal.

• Premium Member
That one was funny. KW... Just for your information, a few of customers are not fanboys. Standards taken, don't count all supporters will be there.

I think you need to look up the actual meaning of "Fanboy".

I'd say probably none of the customers are fanboys.

• Premium Member

Not for some time afterward, and (once I'd managed to scrape together enough information to deduce how it works) I didn't think it was all that revolutionary anyway.

From what I've seen, well - I haven't actually seen any real world RED footage.

• Premium Member
Funny too. Stephen, you're really improving your humor. Otherwise, JJ respects you. Can you imagine? *Edit* (KW... that day will come soon :lol: )

????

Jannard ... respecting ME?

I seriously doubt that. Soon or any time.

I think he's far more respectful of Phil Rhodes than me.

But so what?

Respect only counts when accompanied by understanding.

Anyway, the closest anybody gets to respect around here is a lot of "No True Scot" arguments.

And no, I'm not talking about Jim Murdoch :lol:

• Premium Member
Funny too. Stephen, you're really improving your humor. Otherwise, JJ respects you. Can you imagine? *Edit* (KW... that day will come soon :lol: )

Oh I get it. The day when I see some real RED footage will come soon.

I thought that was a strange statement, even from you.

I was sure you said almost exactly the thing about a year ago so I went through all 177 posts you have made in the last 2 years, but it wasn't there. Must have been one of the other posters with 100% perfect spelling and almost totally incomprehensible English skills.

You might be interested to know that not a single one of your 177 posts contains any useful or constructive information, apart from a few links to other, more informative posters.

That's a pretty impressive record, not too many people could equal that :lol:

I couldn't help noticing that despite all the much-needed practice you've been getting posting in English, your English seems to have slowly gotten worse since you started???

It's almost as big a conundrum as why Emmanuel's English is always so much better when he posts on Reduser...

I expect the RED ONE's replacement. or at least a large part of its market has been announced with the either the 35mm sensor version of the Scarlet or the 35mm sensor version of the EPIC. Although, I imagine quite a few REDs will be upgraded just like a computer, the temptation for quite a few geeky owners must be to buy the lastest new toy.

The new cameras do appear to be in modular system less like the Meccano style one used on the RED ONE and the wide range of sensor sizes will have appeal, perhaps more to a niche market at the larger sensor end.

The interchangeable lens version of the 2/3" Scarlet appears to address the EX3, but I suspect these cameras will just co-exist, their differing post work flows suiting different markets and users.

There's enough new kit announced to keep RED busy for some time - the RED ONE is just about becoming a mature product just as these new products are announced.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I nearly called this thread "The end of Red One", I thought that would have caused an outrage, based on todays announcements I was clearly over cautious!

With a 12% rebate on a Scarlet, I expect used prices will fall fairly fast, probably lower than the $10,000 I recently predicted.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

I nearly called this thread "The end of Red One", I thought that would have caused an outrage, based on todays announcements I was clearly over cautious!

With a 12% rebate on a Scarlet, I expect used prices will fall fairly fast, probably lower than the $10,000 I recently predicted.

Stephen

Stephen,

You probably couldn't have convinced anyone of the level of depreciation of a RED camera a few months ago. It's a fact of life on the stills side, my 2-year old Canon 1Ds MKIIs are now essentially $8000 paperweights.

BTW lots of exciting stuff announced today by RED, still trying to absorb it all, but interestingly, I didn't see the rumored DSLR killer in the mix.

-Fran

KW... Have you been tracing my memorabilia towards you? :D

Ah Ah Ah... KW has been misunderstood at times. Where are your english after all? About civilized world, I'd call it more chauvinism than everything else. Old fashioned chauvinism, as matter of fact. You live before 60s, desert snake.

It seems like english is not the first language of a few others as it really your chauvinism makes sense. But you can easily translate to your own tongue from my own native, given the fact I believe it's not hard for you to become a fluent polyglot:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chauvinistic

1. Militant devotion to and glorification of one's country; fanatical patriotism.

2. Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind.

If on the first, you have my credits that you're out from there (am I wrong? :huh: ), it just remains the second one.

totally yours,

KW BS Glaneur

BTW lots of exciting stuff announced today by RED, still trying to absorb it all, but interestingly, I didn't see the rumored DSLR killer in the mix.

-Fran

If I interpret right, you'd build it around 5K (S35) or 6K (Full Frame i.e. 36x24) Scarlet or Epic.

-Sam

• Premium Member
If I interpret right, you'd build it around 5K (S35) or 6K (Full Frame i.e. 36x24) Scarlet or Epic.

-Sam

Hi Sam,

At $12,000 for the brain? And I need a backup, right? What about TTL flash, accessories, etc.?

Not a chance.

-Fran