Timelapse Calculator

Michael B McGee

thanks for your efforts, but that Camerad site doesn't allow me to download a calculator and i already have a chart. i just would like a calculator where i can punch some numbers into.

• Premium Member

I just do this and break it down to seconds of playback, you don't need a special calculator:

FRAME INTERVAL (in seconds) x PLAYBACK FRAMERATE (i.e. 24fps) = REAL TIME SECONDS = 1 second of playback

Sounds weird but here is an example:

1 frame @ 8 second interval x 24fps at playback = 192 seconds of real time (3.2 minutes) = 1 second

So at 8 second intervals per frame with a playback frame rate of 24fps, its going to take me 3.2 minutes to get one second of footage.

;)

..or just use the Steele Chart as every other DP, who specializes in Time Lapse Photography, has done for years and years... the bottom tells you how simple it is ;)

should i not use a depth of field program just because there's a chart for it? maybe i shouldn't be using my computer to write this. i'll send you a letter in the mail or a telegram.

• Premium Member

It's all well and good to make something.. hell use excel if you have it, the formula is there for you... but it's more important, perhaps, to have it as a chart, in your bag on set, or in your wallet for those times when you have a camera and no computer....

I doubt Reggio brought an Apple IIe with him on the "sets" of Koyaanisqatsi. I think that's all that's being noted by the people here.

Thanks Ira,

The Steele Chart is the de-facto Time Lapse Conversion Chart. Oddly enough, it isn't good enough for some cocky newbies... but this is the risk we take when we let people in who have no resume and are not pre-qualified. We can only take names and ignore their pleas for help later. Lack of gratitude and a general lack of overall appreciation is the the downfall of many up and comers... who later... still find themselves as wannabes.

I have a copy (of the Steele Chart) laminated and use it on every Time Lapse job I do... will be using it three days next week shooting Time Lapse. It is indispensable to my Norris Intervalometer and Capping Shutter kit!

As far as getting a 'feel' for what the motion will look like, well, that takes time and experience. The best line I read on this is.. "go shoot a bunch of Time Lapse.. maybe one will work"... :blink: .... that is so true!

Glad you and Robin appreciated it. Go shoot some!

• Premium Member
..or just use the Steele Chart as every other DP, who specializes in Time Lapse Photography, has done for years and years... the bottom tells you how simple it is ;)

Right- or you could just use a Steele chart! But it is good to know the math so you can do things with out charts if needed. I'm going to print that chart out though, thanks for the link David.

Thanks Ira,

The Steele Chart is the de-facto Time Lapse Conversion Chart. Oddly enough, it isn't good enough for some cocky newbies... but this is the risk we take when we let people in who have no resume and are not pre-qualified. We can only take names and ignore their pleas for help later. Lack of gratitude and a general lack of overall appreciation is the the downfall of many up and comers... who later... still find themselves as wannabes.

I have a copy (of the Steele Chart) laminated and use it on every Time Lapse job I do... will be using it three days next week shooting Time Lapse. It is indispensable to my Norris Intervalometer and Capping Shutter kit!

As far as getting a 'feel' for what the motion will look like, well, that takes time and experience. The best line I read on this is.. "go shoot a bunch of Time Lapse.. maybe one will work"... :blink: .... that is so true!

Glad you and Robin appreciated it. Go shoot some!

Easy there Bubby Boy. i don't see the ASC after your name. so chill out. i'm always grateful for help. maybe you overlooked that part of my posts. i'm aware of the chart. i ASKED for a calculator. if someone asks you for a applebox, would you bring them a C-stand? i doubt it. your original comment was just as rude as anything i've said. "DP's have been using it for years". well, DPs have been using film for over a hundred years. does that mean i shouldn't embrace HD then? this is ridiculous. sorry for offending you mr. rakoczy. have a beautiful career in florida.

can someone send me or post a link to a timelapse calculator? i tried Googleing for it. no luck.

thanks,

Mike

uh, the Steele Chart IS a time lapse calculator :lol: sorry it doesn't have batteries, buttons and a usb :lol: sorry I don't have an asc :lol:

The chart assumes 24fps - the formula takes frame rate into account.

--

Jim

Easy there Bubby Boy. i don't see the ASC after your name. so chill out. i'm always grateful for help. maybe you overlooked that part of my posts. i'm aware of the chart. i ASKED for a calculator. if someone asks you for a applebox, would you bring them a C-stand? i doubt it. your original comment was just as rude as anything i've said. "DP's have been using it for years". well, DPs have been using film for over a hundred years. does that mean i shouldn't embrace HD then? this is ridiculous. sorry for offending you mr. rakoczy. have a beautiful career in florida.

Just use Hunters formula... you can work it out on any mobile phone calculator... or a good producer can do it in their head and tell you its too expensive :lol:

• Site Sponsor
PCINE (or PCAM) had a feature where you can input whatever intervals you would like. I forget which one does it though.

PCam and PCine are a set of very useful apps from A LA AC named David Eubank they are currently available on the Palm OS platform and others (through emulation) they should be available for the IPhone next month (?? or so) check out www.davideubank.com there is a TL calc in there amongst all the other useful tools...

Or you could use the chart and experimentation which works...

-Rob-

timelapse.mov