a question of MONEY

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Well Annie, you’ve wandered into a horrible business.

Truth is, if you don’t have the creative drive to create something in film (meaning directing or photography or writing) you’ve got nothing, but hard, really hard, (non-creative) work in front of you. I’ve come across so many people who thought filmmaking, in any sense, was their calling, but soon realized working as a worker (as in non-creative) in film is the worst freak’n job on the planet,... and quit.

It's very common. Don't feel bad about it. Mostly film is a drag, unless you can't get enough of it.

Robin,

I write every day, actually, and have been doing so in various forms since the age of 4...and I think "taking the piss" is one of the best slang phrases ever invented....!

You have a talent for it.. you should write a book about your time in the film industry... got to be good therapy at the very least..

Hang in there.. its normal to be pissed off.. spit the dummy... and throw some toys out of the pram... I remember a job where the DP was such a prick I would cry in my hotel room and really questioned if i wanted to do this modern day indentured slavery... but you,ll get over it.. the next good job..

3. David Rakoczy: No poop I should've had a deal memo. And when I first started working with these guys, they paid me at the end of the work week, just as they promised...so I didn't think this would become such a massive issue.

Annie Wengenroth. Remember, you bring up a topic and others comment on that topic and not ALL comments are directed towards (you) per se.

This is a valuable lesson (unfortunately at your expense) for all those getting into this business. We can't let our guard down as that is when we will get bit... even if it is a client we have worked with numerous times, ALWAYS start the day/ gig with the Agreement on paper. We can get so wrapped up in the creative side that we neglect the business side of this business. I have been in your position twice Annie. Once before I had an agreement and I lost the $ and the next time I had an agreement (in writing) and that helped leverage a check out of them and into my hands.

May you find a great gig that reaffirms the reason you got into this business in the first place or may you find a position/ career in something more rewarding.

Peace.

I know it's not going to work often, but the late great English photographer Terry Donovan's terms of business were: 'When I get the wedge, you get the pictures'.. In other words, cash on delivery, at close of play, before you leave the set. Perhaps if a few more tried it, you might get somewhere.

Naive, probably, but it's a thought.