Black Swan deceived Oscars?

Joseph Arch

• Premium Member

I can only assume that anyone bitching that Natalie used a dance double never saw "Singin' in the Rain". Hollywood's used skilled doubles for everyone in every imaginable circumstance since its earliest days. Natalie did a pretty good job of faking professional ballet dancing but it took a real dancer to perform the parts requiring years of training and practice.

Can I also assume that there are people out there complaining that Leonard DiCaprio didn't really fly the planes in "The Aviator"?

I just noticed Phil made my very point back in March...

Edited by Hal Smith

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but the problem is that the dancing was an integral part of the performance, and it wasn't hers. And yet she got an Oscar for it.

If this news had come out before the vote, there's no way she would have won.

And Sarah Michelle Gellar played Buffy the Vampire Slayer, by your reasoning you actually expected her to kill real Vampires?

She PLAYED, it doesn't mean she has to be, so long as her performance shows credibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand what her dancing abilities have to do with her right to an Oscar. It is her Acting abilities that won her the Gong. Her ability to play the role of the dancer is what counts.

I have read most of the posts and this is such a non issue. I believe Sarah Lane should have been given more credit. Unfortunately for her, credits are given by the producers and they can be very creative when doling out credits, if at all. The reason the credits were given like this was not to deceive the academy voters. They are film people and know exactly what is going on. The reason was to deceive the general public into thinking that Natalie Portman did all her own dancing. It gave her her dance credibility. It added to her mystique. Who cares? Films are fantasy anyway. Films are designed to deceive and manipulate. This wasn't a documentary. But, to think that Academy voters are not very savvy when it comes to process of filmmaking and who does what, is a bit naive. I think I mentioned Tom Cruise and the image portrayed that he does his own stunts is ludicrous. We all know that that his career as a stuntman is somewhat limited in scope. We all know that Natalie Portman is an actress and not a professional ballet dancer.

Daniel, I don't want to single you out, but I've been seeing so much of this lately (and been guilty of it myself) that I wanted to say something here. If you want to succeed in this industry, then you will be working with these people at some point down the road.

Even if they aren't "in our departments" actors, directors, producers get plenty of grief in the tabloids; they don't deserve it from us too.

Maybe Tom Cruise really IS an butt. Maybe the last 1st AC I worked for WAS an butt. I still wouldn't come out and say it on here. This is a small industry too, and the people you insult may be denying you jobs 20 years hence if you give them grief and they see it.

EDIT: Nonsensical sentences :-/

Edited by K Borowski

Rob, LOL! Speaking of funny jokes, I've been looking everyowhere for the US-centric map of the world you guys had hanging up in the sweat shop. Please tell me you didn't throw it out during the move!

I've been looking everywhere for that particular map without success. Could you take a picture or flatbed it and send me a copy please?

P.S. Why didn't CINELAB get the processing on that movie? If I had all the fancy machinery you guys do, I'd be all over every 16mm production in the U.S. like it was my job! Unfortunately, 100 feet is what we top out at for now.

• Site Sponsor

I don't know where Brad got the map, shoot him an email maybe he remembers.

Cinelab did not process Black Swan because it was a studio funded feature with A-List stars shooting in NYC, why would they send the film to Boston when Technicolor is only blocks away? Price? all the processing and dailies for that film are probably less than 1% of budget and they would not care about price.

We are running a 16mm feature in Boston starting soon, because we are closest.

-Rob-

I mean no disrespect Rob, of course it would be hard to get an A-List feature.

And you are right about price as well. I'd recommend RAISING prices for studio films in that case ;-) I remember the last film I worked on we booted the film back to Photochem. . . west coast instead of using the closer NYC labs, yourselves, or shooting it up to what is it now Grace and Wild? in Detroit.

I know who I'd use if I were the DP shooting an A-List movie in Detroit for my neg: Cinelab :-D

• Premium Member

Look, I'm an Academy voter, most of you here are not, so you didn't get to vote for her Oscar one way or the other, so most of you can't make claims of being "cheated" into voting for her since you couldn't anyway.

So, basically what youre telling us is that we can blame you for the Oscar? Ok, done! ;)

Daniel, I don't want to single you out, but I've been seeing so much of this lately (and been guilty of it myself) that I wanted to say something here. If you want to succeed in this industry, then you will be working with these people at some point down the road.

Even if they aren't "in our departments" actors, directors, producers get plenty of grief in the tabloids; they don't deserve it from us too.

Maybe Tom Cruise really IS an butt. Maybe the last 1st AC I worked for WAS an butt. I still wouldn't come out and say it on here. This is a small industry too, and the people you insult may be denying you jobs 20 years hence if you give them grief and they see it.

EDIT: Nonsensical sentences :-/

Actually, I was defending Ms Portman.