RIP Tony Scott

Tom Jensen

The look of his movies have always been a major part of my life as a cinematographer, ever since I was young and saw "The Hunger", "Top Gun", and "Beverly Hills Cop II". "Revenge" is an overlooked classic in terms of cinematography.

He always brought an eclectic fast-paced look and it certainly kept people like me glued to the seat, one film in recent memory that I feel was a little overlooked was Deja Vu, I highly enjoyed that.

I remember reading on this forum Tony would pick and choose the types of lights and where they would go, I suppose he had a bigger influence on the look of his films than a lot of directors.

He always brought an eclectic fast-paced look and it certainly kept people like me glued to the seat, one film in recent memory that I feel was a little overlooked was Deja Vu, I highly enjoyed that.

I enjoyed deja-vu too! Kind of a silly movie in some ways, but a lot of fun and the acting etc was great. Well made fun that you could enjoy after a difficult day or week! Worked for me! :) Cinematography was nice too of course! Lots to like about it.

love

Freya

"Revenge" is an overlooked classic in terms of cinematography.

I'd not even heard of that till you mentioned it now. "The Fan" is another film by him I'd not heard of.

Quite a surprise when so much of his work is massively famous.

I've still not seen Crimson Tide and it's a film I'm really curious about for some reason.

love

Freya

Well.. make sure you all have your Star magazines to cross reference.

Why don't you take your own advice and stop posting.

Tony Scott's films were, and are, a big influence on me, from his work with Jeff Kimball in the 80s and 90s to his later hand-cranked, double exposed work with Paul Cameron. He was a restless visual experimenter and his films frequently had more energy and creativity than those made by men half his age.

A sad loss.

I'd not even heard of that till you mentioned it now. "The Fan" is another film by him I'd not heard of.

Quite a surprise when so much of his work is massively famous.

I've still not seen Crimson Tide and it's a film I'm really curious about for some reason.

love

Freya

Its a very good film Gene Hackmans and Denzil Washingtons performances are spot on , its looks great too . I think Dariusz Wolski shot it.

• Site Sponsor

Tony Scott seemed like a thoroughly enjoyable chap and a warm larger than life person. We may never know what the reasons were, be it illness or other. I think it would be rude to moralize over his decision especially without knowing the man personally.

He never made a dull movie that's for sure, there goes a man who left a big mark on the art and craft of movie making.

RIP

-Rob-

This is very sad for us all. I had the pleasure of working for him. What a joy to be around. He inspired us to be our best. He will be truly missed.

G

I notice a lot of quotes from people about Tony Scott mentioned how inspirational he was and that he was a great mentor who encouraged other people in their filmmaking journeys. Nice to hear about people helping others like that! :)

• Premium Member

Tony Scott seemed like a thoroughly enjoyable chap and a warm larger than life person. We may never know what the reasons were, be it illness or other. I think it would be rude to moralize over his decision especially without knowing the man personally.

RIP

-Rob-

People can sometimes suffer from crippling bouts of depression, often for no apparent cause. In most cases they're only transitory, but tragically, every so often one comes along when they just happen to have the means available to end it all.

I have personal experience of a person like that, and he told me that when you're in that state, thoughts of what it would do to your loved ones simply never intrude. Ironically he died from lung cancer, and he was only completely free of the bouts of depression for the last few months of his life.

it is crap tho. Well boring. Das Boot = propa!

Phil, the purpose of this thread is to intelligently examine the work of Tony Scott, it's effect on the film business as a whole, and on us as individuals. In the light of his recent death, people here are attempting to describe the ways in which his work has influenced them. It's characterized by adult conversation, because not only is that what this forum is for, it also shows respect to the deceased.

You do not have to like his work. You may believe that Das Boot is a better film than Crimson Tide, but unless you are willing and able to discuss it in an adult manner, your comments have no place here. This is not a school yard, this is a forum for professionals. Please try to act like one.

I think some people on here haven't experienced the film business like some of us have and don't realize the level of work or the personal experiences we share. They just don't realize they are talking about our friends and sometimes even family, After 25 years in the business, you meet a lot of people.

Phil, the purpose of this thread is to intelligently examine the work of Tony Scott, it's effect on the film business as a whole, and on us as individuals. In the light of his recent death, people here are attempting to describe the ways in which his work has influenced them. It's characterized by adult conversation, because not only is that what this forum is for, it also shows respect to the deceased.

You do not have to like his work. You may believe that Das Boot is a better film than Crimson Tide, but unless you are willing and able to discuss it in an adult manner, your comments have no place here. This is not a school yard, this is a forum for professionals. Please try to act like one.

Das Boot is better than Crimson Tide??!! How does he compare Crimson Tide to Das Boot? Run Silent, Run Deep (18580, The Enemy Below (1957), U-571 (2000), Torpedo Run (1858), The Hunt for Red October (1990), even Operation Petticoat(1959) would be a better comparison that Crimson tide. Crimson Tide is basically a remake of The Bedford Incident (1965)if you want a comparison. B)